Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Personal data/HMRC

edited November 2007 in Not Sports Related
So, what do we all think about the government urging us to keep our personal details safe and then losing a couple of discs with the personal information of 25 MILLION PEOPLE on them???

A massive threat to our personal financial security ?

or

A storm in a tea cup?

Comments

• Serves them right for having kids...

(Ducks for cover...)
  • Imagine how the guy who posted those disks feels...
  • Storm in a tea cup
  • storm in tea cup.

move on.......
  • it's bloody outrageous but nothing will come of it .
  • [cite]Posted By: Algarveaddick[/cite]Serves them right for having kids...

Who, your parents?
    ;o)
  • I don't think anyone apart from the bloody 24hr News channels and opposistion MP's gives a flying f...
    It's hardly been the topic on conversation in my office today.
  • [cite]Posted By: Czech_Addick[/cite]Imagine how the guy who posted those disks feels...

Like most civil servants I don't suppose he gives a flying fook about it. In my experience 80% of the people who work for the civil service are a complete and total waste of space who care not one jot about the job they are paid to do, whether they do it properly or what the consequences may be of their actions/inaction. Tossers!
  • [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Algarveaddick[/cite]Serves them right for having kids...

Who, your parents?
    ;o)

ESPECIALLY my parents...
  • 2In my experience 80% of the people who work for the civil service are a complete and total waste of space who care not one jot about the job they are paid to do, whether they do it properly or what the consequences may be of their actions/inaction. Tossers! "

From my experience you can put that nearer 100% ................ as with most services industries (public and private).
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: 1905[/cite]2In my experience 80% of the people who work for the civil service are a complete and total waste of space who care not one jot about the job they are paid to do, whether they do it properly or what the consequences may be of their actions/inaction. Tossers! "

From my experience you can put that nearer 100% ................ as with most services industries (public and private).

Speaking as one of the many civil servants who post on this board......

I find that most people in the department I work in are thoroughly dedicated and care about the service they provide. Over the past two years, in the name of efficiency, the civil service has been forced to make 104,000 people redundant, 25% of these in HMRC, without really looking the effect it has on services.

The result is that the remaining staff are expected to continue to provide the service without the resources to achieve it. It's the public facing staff who seem to be in the firing line when things go wrong but you need to look further to find the real cause of the problems.

This is the third incident involving HMRC. There have been other examples of mistakes such as the recent debacle over the immigration and jobs figures. I'd expect more to follow.

Before you start crying out 'If you can't stand the heat..... get out of the kitchen' thats exactly what many civil servants, me included, are currently to doing. Don't expect services to improve in the future.
  • what have you done with that envelope Alex?

;-)
  • LOL

that was TNT Westie :)

oops, lunch break over, back to work......
  • A valiant defence Alex, but I'm afraid it doesn't wash with me.

I was a civil servant for almost 10 years and as well as the people I worked with directly knew many other people who worked in other departments - and some that still do. The fact is that when you are a civil servant you think you are the mutts nuts and are working hard, but it's only when you experience life in the real world that you truly realise what a wheeze it all was. If you wanted to take the piss you could - and many did.

There is f-all accountablility in the civil service, particularly at the lower levels. What happens if you sit on something for weeks and continually underperform? Nothing! What (laregly) happens in the private sector - you buck your ideas up or get the bullet.

A little example for you. In my 10 years as a civil servant I worked with probably 20 or 30 people who had time off for "stress" related issues - ranging from a couple of weeks to two or three years in one instance! Now these weren't people in high powered roles or anything, mainly people doing simple administrative type jobs.

In my 10 years outside I haven't come across a single person who's been off with stress - not a single one. And some of these people are under so much pressure they are churing out 14 hour days, 70 hour weeks, etc, etc.

So what's the difference? Partly a state of mind, partly attitude and partly the tendency for some people to try to "get away with it" if they think they can!

Of course, someone needs to do these jobs, but in general the civil service STILL needs a massive kick up the arse.
  • AW - I understand what you are saying particularly on the efficiency savings - and I was being a bit flippant. However if you are saying that you are working in a Department where most are dedicated CS's then we clearly work in different Departments. The heart of our Department has been kicked out through living in a continual change programme for the last 5 years. I wouldn't mind if post reductions had been based on performance but it has all been about wrong place wrong time. I am not saying that those in my Department dont try or cut corners, but dedication is a word I would struggle to use these days - as a recent staff survey showed.

As a general point before this debate drops into a "how lazy are civil servant thread", I see plenty of non Civil Servants passing many a work hour on these boards .........
  • The media seem to be concerned that our persoanl details may have fallen into the hands of untrustworthy people who may try to extract money from us by underhand means. Now given that these details were previously in the hands of the Government I can't really see where the change is.
  • "As a general point before this debate drops into a "how lazy are civil servant thread", I see plenty of non Civil Servants passing many a work hour on these boards ......... "

Get back to work you lazy f*cker!!!
  • lol - I was waiting for that one Russ thanks for not letting me down.........
  • Why use TNT why not Royal Mail considering the government subisides it.
  • Sponsored links:

• BDLBDL
    edited November 2007
    Anyone fancy bidding?

HMRC 4 Sale

EDIT...... Don't bother Ebay spoilt the fun - someone put up two discs or sale - some classic comments such as - "What are you going to do mhen MFI kick down the door?"

Buggers!
  • maybe one of the I.T experts on here can help but is it really possible to put the data from 25 million people on just two discs?