Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Worst injury self inflicted or otherwise

edited November 2007 in Not Sports Related
Just been mucking about with my car today and my ever helpful old dad took up my offer of giving me a hand with a few bits.

To cut a long story short he almost cut my right index finger off while we were buggering about, and it got me thinking. 'What is the worst thing I've done to myself'?

Had a couple of head wounds from playing football/fighting as a youngster, couple of scars on hands and arms from work but nothing stands out other than perhaps a broken jaw.

Has anyone got any horrendous stories of cutting off limbs, breaking bones or smashing heads etc????

Comments

• Broke a few fingers and wrists playing football but thats about it, been relatively lucky really.
  • broke my nose and got concussion last year smashing my head into the pavement, not pretty!
  • Hit over the head with a wine bottle at a party. One or two stiches ................
  • my brother pushed me off a skateboard when I was youger (I was kneeling on it and not standing up like you should) and i broke 3 fingers.
  • WSSWSS
    edited November 2007
    Nothing as extreme as that.

When I worked at Brands Hatch for Sainsbury's (we had a temporary store in a tent for the superbikes). I had just made a cup of tea (without the milk in) and then pressed the "cash" button on the till.

Cue the till draw popping out and boiling hot water to going over my unprotected foot as i had just crawled out of my tent. I sat for about an hour with my foot in a bucket of water until some St John's Ambulance people who wanted some bread came in and asked why i had my foot in a bucket. They took one look and told me i had to go to A&E.

I went to stand up, fell over and then felt the burn. Went to A&E, had treatment, got put on crutches and had to visit the nurse at uni in Swansea everyday for 2 weeks to get it redressed.

Nice scar to the day!
  • Shoulder dislocation, on numerous occasions, including when i was drinking from the furry cup with my current bird!!!??? (sorry girls!!) and celebrating a brilliant BentD goal at the Valley!

Thats it really!
  • self inflicted he said. im just going to ignore mcs as im having rotten visuals.

i was trying to chat up a bloke but side kicking him up the back side but unfortunately I had been drinking for about 9 hours and I tripped over my own feet and landed on my thumb. It dislocated in two places... the cabbie nearly threw up when i picked myself up stuck out my deformed thumb and hailed him down to take me to St Thomases.
  • ahem..........here goes..

4 head splits, 1 collar bone snap, 2 middle finger brakes (1 on each hand), i cracked rib, both big toes, 1 gammy knee, 2 concussions, and a broke nose.

but that's it. if anyone knows my old man his list is proberbly treble that!
  • I have had several UDI's (Unidentified Drinking Injuries).

The best probably being what looks like a bad maori tattoo on my right arm/elbow from leaning on a barbeque down Camber Sands last year.

Have many more that I could think of at a push!!
  • [cite]Posted By: carlsberg[/cite]ahem..........here goes..

4 head splits, 1 collar bone snap, 2 middle finger brakes (1 on each hand), i cracked rib, both big toes, 1 gammy knee, 2 concussions, and a broke nose.

but that's it. if anyone knows my old man his list is proberbly treble that!

And a UDI courtesy of 'Wego'?!?!
  • Sponsored links:

• edited November 2007
    Forgot that..lol
  • [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]self inflicted he said. im just going to ignore mcs as im having rotten visuals.

it was self inflicted!! i leaned in the wrong position for sure! Sorry i spooked you curb it! BTW my new journey home takes me through char village and the other day i saw you and tav smerking outside the bugle, was gonna wave but i might of crashed!! next time i will! lol (wave not crash!)

Back to thread, once got bit by a dog! hurt! Was self inflicted cos they reckon the dog could smell fear, it wasnt fear i was smelling at the time i can tell you!! Does that count!??
  • broken nose - top edge playing cricket on the day maradona done his hand of god, and i consequently missed the match
    broken wrist #1 - playing footie in the school playground
    broken finger - wicket keeping
    broken wrist #2 & #3 yes both at the same time pre season footie training, (no jokes unless they are original)
    12 stitches in head - clash of heads playing football
    torn cruciate ligament - playimg footbal
    broken wrist/arm #4 - playing cricket. had metal plates put in 5 days before the demelza charity game.

you may appreciate that if i am playing golf and hear thunder, i head for the clubhouse.
  • [cite]Posted By: MCS[/cite]i was drinking from the furry cup with my current bird!!!??? (sorry girls!!) and celebrating a brilliant BentD goal at the Valley!

You've got a funny way of celebrating goals mate! What did the Bloke Behind You say?

Worst I've done is a broken jaw, broken finger and broken toe, all at different times though. Oh and when I was a kid I accidentally stapled my thumbs together!
  • Broken collar bone
    Fractured shin
    sundry broken toes and fingers
    concussion - twice
    stitches in head courtesy of a bottle in the H&G c/of some Burnley fans.
    Four teeth surgically removed

Worst injury I inflicted on someone was concussion and a suspected fractured skull smashing the ball back at the bowler playing cricket, it hit the bowler right in the middle of the forehead.
  • Left side of my body is completely knackered at the mo due to broken wrist, broken hand and knackered knee. The colder spell in the last week has had a noticeable impact. Right side of my body is fantastic though.....

Back to the original question, mum and dad once had to cut all my hair off after discovering me in the bath disposing of a whole pack of Hubba Bubba in my hair trying to do a mohican like BA Baracus.
  • Why did they have to cut your hair off? That amount of hubba bubba surely would of chemically burned it off??

Or was it just an iraational hatred of mohawks???
  • edited November 2007
    Broken Leg, NHS stuck a cork in my cast(which was of course the colour red). So this cork dug away at me leg just above my ankle, the day the cast was sawn off, whole lot of blood came out without me feeling a thing.

Broken 2 wrists and.....

broke my arm due to the uneven football pitches at school, i tell ya there like mines.

all injuries in the name of sport.
  • Nearly 8 years ago got wasted in Blackheath and drunkenly fell on the tracks at the station by accident. Managed to gash my head and hand badly and fractured 4 bones (lumbar vertebrae I think) in my spine just above my coccyx. I couldn't walk for 2 weeks and needed rehabilitation to be able to walk again. No ill effects now really just my back gets stiff and sore at times. Thinking about it I have been extremely lucky seeing as I avoided being run over by a train and/or electrocuted.
  • Playing football when i was 16 went to cross the ball with my left foot, i assume my studs gripped and got stuck, the ball skued of the boot and went flying into the bottom corner of the net off a post. Team mates turned around to celebrate to find me in a mess on the floor with a diclocated knee, torn cruciate & medial ligaments and torn patella tendon... My dad left the game and went and watched my brother playing in a game down the road as he assumed it was just a sprained knee and that i was alright.
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: Spankie[/cite]Nearly 8 years ago got wasted in Blackheath and drunkenly fell on the tracks at the station by accident. Managed to gash my head and hand badly and fractured 4 bones (lumbar vertebrae I think) in my spine just above my coccyx. I couldn't walk for 2 weeks and needed rehabilitation to be able to walk again. No ill effects now really just my back gets stiff and sore at times. Thinking about it I have been extremely lucky seeing as I avoided being run over by a train and/or electrocuted.

I bet you caused a nightmare for train travellers! how many people do you reckon were cursing you that evening? ;-)
  • As an aside, one of the worst/funniest injuries I've seen was a guy i used to work with who through doing something he shouldn't have been doing but we all used to do until this 'incident' managed to drop a footway box lid on his hand instantly severing his little finger whilst we were doing some cabling.

As soon as we heard the screaming we knew something was not quite right and ran to his aid and lifted the lid off his hand to find him down 1 digit. the ambulance arried and told us to look for his finger and after doing one of the most revolting things I've ever had to do (fish around in silty, muddy water for his missing finger) we found it, they took him to hospital and managed to re-attach it.

Weeks later he was back at work with his finger still attatched and with a sort of condom thing over it to keep it clean. However he just would not take this condom thing off to let the air get to his finger and aid recovery. As he was only driving the lorry for us it wouldn't have been a problem but he just would not take it off. And one day whilst taking a big left turn he caught his finger on a metal bar used to stop you from falling out of the cab when dis-mounting. It simply dropped off and the other bloke in the lorry mildy inquired 'where's your finger gone'?

The bloke kicked off a bit more screamed shouted and drove back to hospital. They could not re-attatch the now pretty manky finger so on his return to work he was christened 'Kit-Kat' and remained so!

By the way Sash don't tel your father-in-law that story!! Trust me he wouldn't see the same funny side we did!!
  • edited November 2007
    when I was a teen I had 2 injuries in quick sucession all self inflicted

my parents used to go and visit my aunt and uncle in plaistow regualrly and most times leave me and my older borther at home - at the time i was 13 brother 16/17 and they trusted us.

2injuries later and I had to go with them every time.

1st injury - playing silly buggers on our garden wall - fell off and snapped my wrist broke both bones and had to have an op to re set the arm and was in hospital for 3 days and in plaster for 6 months - had just arrived at my aunts and had to rush back
    2nd injury - mum made me wear new shoes round the house to wear them in for school - this was summer holidays, they go over my aunts - me and my bruv decide to have a laugh with these guns that fired out those sucker type things - silly bollocks here is on the stairs 0 in new shoes - when bruv jumps out at the top of the stairs to shoot me I try and dodge and slip on the stairs fly backwards down the stairs head first into the front door splittling my head open pumping blood all over the walls

my mum thought someone had been murdered when she got home with all the claret eveywhere.

Needless to say I was banned from being left on my own after that.
  • Used to go to Ts many moons ago, every friday and saturday night even after away games, turned up one saturday night after an away game at Forest, outside it all kicked off, then found myself fighting two guys, in which ten of there mates turned up and chased me up the road, done the sensible thing and decided to get on my toes, jumped across the barrier in which i was knocked down by a cab, through the windscreen and bounced down the road, the nice chaps who were chasing me then proceeded to give me a kicking as i lay uncousious in the road. Outcome. Intensive care for two weeks, right leg broke in 5 places, broken nose, broken ribs, abd in hospital for 3 months, apart from that i have been as good as gold
  • Bllody hell WIWLB thats the winner by a mile

... although i don't ever remembering you coming round my house.
  • oh yea and i forgot to mention the 73 stitches required
  • Far too many football injuries to mention, but by far the worst was having 1 broken rib and 3 cracked ribs, resulting in a punctured and partial collapse of the lung.

Outside of footie, I've broken both of my collar bones a total of three times and have a shagged left ankle and knee as a result of a car acident.

Apart from that my body is a temple!!!!!! :-)
  • harsh but fair :-)
  • I've had a broken leg but I didn't go through as much pain as this woman for the sake of £100k

Deliberately breaking a leg to get Insurance money - Worth it or not?