Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The slush bucket and recycling what you don't eat?

edited November 2007 in Not Sports Related
A Trial period for the last year has been held incorporating 17 councils from Kingston to Hackney to promote the usefull waste of unwanted food disposal,it will mean that all households will be given a small size miniature waste bin which would be used in Your Kitchen to seperate food products from your other disposable items, how many recycling bins do you have at the moment?

You will have your waste monitored and will be given written warnings(not a fine) to avdise you on being enviromenatlly sound if you don't comply.

can you imagine the smell if you live in a tower block?

Only eat Fish.

Time to buy a dog.

Comments

• edited November 2007
    Greenwich council is going over to a food-waste/garden-waste recycling scheme in January - more info here - which as usual they've not really consulted anyone about, and heaven knows how it'll work in my place, which divided up into flats.

That said, I'm all for recycling if it's done properly - other countries seem to be able to do it fine.

Badger, you should get yourself a composter and save the worry. It'll be good for the garden.
  • edited November 2007
    (post sent to recycling bin)
  • I Have always recycled my waste products and i also have a compost at the end of my garden,i also use a lot of my compost for my Allotment so i should be okay.

i'm also storing up all the plastic bags and paper bags along with boxes that i can, just in case?

i now do my shopping via internet without the bags.
  • edited November 2007
    The Carrier bag will ne no more.
  • All recycling, with the exception of aluminium cans, is bullshit. It creates more damage to the environment than it fixes.
  • when the woman from greenwich council came round we'd only just moved in and she asked if we'd like a recycling bin which is was quite happy to have then she reeled off this long speach about what the council are doing with waste come the new year. She'd obviously been practicing as she spoke very quickly but I said hold up hold up , rewind that back a little I'm sure I heard the words two weeks in there somewhere , what your essentially telling me is we're going to fortnightly rubbish collections.
    We will now have to have three bins sitting outside my flat where it already looks untidy with two.
  • We already have the miniature waste bin for the kitchen in the Welling / Bexleyheath area, along with a bin for paper, a bin for glass, a bin for plastic, a bin for garden waste (into which the rubbish from the kitchen bin is placed) , and a normal rubbish bin.
    Takes a bit of getting used to !

My son is currently living in a flat in Bow and all they do is leave the rubbish downstairs or outside their door - compared to that, I prefer the recycling.
  • Agree with Leroy, I'm not sure when people will realise that though. It's all a con boys and girls and something else to fine people for not complying with.
  • [cite]Posted By: Carter[/cite]Agree with Leroy, I'm not sure when people will realise that though. It's all a con boys and girls and something else to fine people for not complying with.

What is so wrong with reduce, reuse and recycle as a philosophy?

Reduce the amount of the Earth's resources that we use.
    Reuse don't just bin it, could someone else make use of it?
    Recycle Can the materials be made into something new?

There are approximately 6.7bn people on this planet and we are going to run out of rresources sooner or later. The experts say that the next wars will be fought, not for territory but for access to resources, the current Iraq war is largely about controling middle-eastern oil resources, In Palestine, the Palestinian people in the West Bank are being evicted from areas that are close to water sources and there is only so much raw material that can be extracted from this planet. With 6.7bn people on this rock describing recycling as a "con" is nothing more than greed dressed up as rhetoric.
  • how many recycling bins do you have at the moment?

Three...out here in Germany all waste must be disposed of into one of three bins - paper/packaging/board etc, glass, and "wet" waste - ie normal household refuse.

If you buy beer from a shop the bottles cost a deposit (pfand) of 7 cents, while PET plastic bottles cost 25 cent deposit, which you can reclaim at the point of purchase.

Over the last decade or so there has been a big campaign against the overuse of packaging, the Green party advocated that shoppers leave excess packaging in the shops post purchase and this is now law. When I first saw someone buying a ready-to-cook pizza and leaving the carton in the shop I thought it pretty strange, but it encourages the retailers to use less packaging and as Germany has mandated zero new landfill sites that is a wise move.
  • Sponsored links:

• This is a good move and hopefully when we have to look at how much food we waste, we will hopefully cut down on what we buy. Apparently 1/3 of all food bought is thrown away - even if you allow for skins and peelings etc. must be 20% of good food being chucked out ... one problem of course is supermarkets trying to make us buy food we don't want with bogof type offers.

We put a lot of waste into the compost, but not cooked food so being able to put that in with garden waste is good.
  • Not guilty!

There's so little food in my flat that I barely ever waste any. Between me and my flatmate last week the only consumables in the place were half a tub of margarine, 1 packet of sliced gouda, half a packet of pasta, 2 cans of Coke Zero, 7 cans of lager, two bottles of red and a bottle of champagne.

And my girlfriend who claims to be all 'environmentally friendly' complains that there's no food when she comes round, I mean, I'm just trying to do my bit.....
  • [cite]Posted By: PassItToLeaburn[/cite]Not guilty!

There's so little food in my flat that I barely ever waste any. Between me and my flatmate last week the only consumables in the place were half a tub of margarine, 1 packet of sliced gouda, half a packet of pasta, 2 cans of Coke Zero, 7 cans of lager, two bottles of red and a bottle of champagne.

And my girlfriend who claims to be all 'environmentally friendly' complains that there's no food when she comes round, I mean, I'm just trying to do my bit.....

Sounds very much like my environmentally friendly house!!
  • No food in my house ever gets wasted, probably why we are all fat bastards :-(
  • [cite]Posted By: InspectorSands[/cite]Greenwich council is going over to a food-waste/garden-waste recycling scheme in January -more info here- which as usual they've not really consulted anyone about,

I moved from Greenwich borough to Bexley just over two years ago, and I can remember someone from the Council doing a doorstep consultation before I moved. Part of Greenwich (up by Kidbrooke Park school) have been recycling green waste for years as I used to pass the bins enroute to The Valley.
    [cite]Posted By: stonemuse[/cite]We already have the miniature waste bin for the kitchen in the Welling / Bexleyheath area, along with a bin for paper, a bin for glass, a bin for plastic, a bin for garden waste (into which the rubbish from the kitchen bin is placed) , and a normal rubbish bin.
    Takes a bit of getting used to !quote]

After my house move it did take some getting used to - once you have fathomed what is being collected when (weeks alternate between glass/plastic collection and paper collection) and you do have to put more effort in as with Greenwich it all went in one bin. What also confused me - and i still dont get - is why Greenwich could recycle more types of plastic than Bexley does.
  • Down in good old Swale, we have two bins. Recycle stuff in one (paper, glass, tin cans, plastic etc) and everything else in the other (food and anything on the list that can't be recycled, tetrapak etc)

Fortnightly collection but the bins are collected on alternate weeks, ie blue bin one week, green bin the next. Hasnt caused us any problems. If anything, it's been an eye opener as to how much recyclable stuff we were throwing away.
  • Oh, and we can also get a brown bin for garden waste if we want... costs £20 or £30 a year...
  • Medway council is a blue box for paper, card, plastic bottles and cans but nowt for glass.

And as we are of better stock and can be trusted not to put fireworks in the brown wheelie bins in Chatham we have our brown bins for nowt. Unlike the Swale great unwashed
  • [cite]Posted By: Carter[/cite]Medway council is a blue box for paper, card, plastic bottles and cans but nowt for glass.

And as we are of better stock and can be trusted not to put fireworks in the brown wheelie bins in Chatham we have our brown bins for nowt. Unlike the Swale great unwashed

We don't get it for nowt - we pay council tax!

However we don't pay yet more to get it on top of that.
  • Get a black box that can be filled with anything recycable other than glass, can request more if need be (we have 2), collected once a week.

The problem is that i end up filling it half up every week with crap like menu's, free newspapers, junk mail stuff that i wouldnt have myself!
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]Get a black box that can be filled with anything recycable other than glass, can request more if need be (we have 2), collected once a week.

The problem is that i end up filling it half up every week with crap like menu's, free newspapers, junk mail stuff that i wouldnt have myself!

Very, very, very good point. The amount of junk mail and free papers etc I get littering my doormat everyday is responsible for most of the contents of the blue box.
  • We get sweet F.A. in Maidstone if we wanna recycle we have to get off our arses and do it ourselves. And, I might add, we pay more council tax than most of the rest of Kent my one bedroom flat is more than my sisters three bedroom house in Ashford!
    http://www.mpsonline.org.uk/mpsr/