Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

English & proud but worried by what is happening to this once great Country?

BEING ENGLISH IS NOT A DIRTY WORD

OUR IDENTITY IS SLOWLY BEING ERODED

WE MUST NOT LET THIS HAPPEN

ALL THOSE THAT LOVE THIS GREAT

COUNTRY OF OURS, PLEASE SHOW YOUR

SUPPORT AND:
MARCH FOR OUR FLAG
SATURDAY NOVEMBER 17 2007 11:AM
AT ST JAMES TUBE STATION

EVERYONE WELCOME REGARDLESS OF RACE, COLOUR OR CREED, THE ONLY CRITERIA IS THAT YOU MUST BE PROUD TO
BE ENGLISH

*I went to the last one and bigger numbers are expected this time!! If your free, why not come along and support it! before anyone mentions it, it's not BNP, combat 18 etc etc etc! Organised by a group fof lads from Spurs and Pompey who have and are going to a great deal of effort in organising it!!

Cheers.

Comments

• What a load of bollocks. This is a Charlton website, not a place for trying to drum up interest in your racist propaganda.
  • Right peeps... Everyone comes to the subject with their own perspective. Please be very careful in choosing how you respond, whatever your take is on what it means to be English, and whatever you think about this march.

All subjects are open for debate, theoretically, but bear in mind, this is an open Forum for issues pertaining to Charlton fans, yes, but that doesn't mean all subjects have to be dealt with here. There are more appropriate places to hash out these specific issues I am sure. Use them.
  • Sorry, I agree with cunningstunt87. It's a load of bollocks.
  • Looky, don't immoderate threads need moderating?
  • If it's a load of bollocks then don't respond and don't bite?It will soon dissapear,Start a new thread and it will fall off.
  • Yes, but donning my diplomatic cap, I'm hesitant to censure from the "top down" so to speak, particularly on a new thread. In my ever-optimistic little way, I hope the thread, in the way it has been posted, will be dealt with "by the community." Having said that, I would be personally disappointed if the obvious problems with the ideas underpinning this (in the way its outlined above) were not constructively criticised. But that's just me ;-)

Personally, I do agree that "English" identity shouldn't be a "dirty word." It's the next part I have a problem with. "Our identity is slowly being eroded." (very slowly really; reminds of The Streets: "45th Generation Roman..."!!!) Obviously, what is meant by this is a very narrow definition of what it means to be English, and by extension, an acceptable "immigrant" or whatever. Also, what does is mean to be proud to be English? Obviously, it means all sorts of things to all sorts of people.
  • I'm not sure this this march is my kind of thing but that doesn't mean I would prohibit the freedom of speech of somebody to mention it as a non Charlton related thread.

Such a draconian response makes their case for them in my view and in any event this particular post says all welcome regardless of race, colour or creed.

Whatever happened to innocent until proved guilty?
  • I am proud to be English as well. Perhaps Mr Organiser can let us all know how our identity is being eroded, and why he thinks that being English has become a dirty word?
  • I'm also proud of being English. So are all the people I know who live here but have Pakistani, Indian, Sri Lankan, Jamican, Bajan, Nigerian, Ghanaian, Serbian, French, Spanish, Cuban. Danish, Canadian, Iranian, Egyptian, St Lucian, italian, Trinidadian, New Zealand, South African and Australian (well maybe not Australian) origins.

Honestly mate, jingoism is, like, soooooo 1980s man.
  • [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]Such a draconian response makes their case for them in my view and in any event this particular post says all welcome regardless of race, colour or creed.

Whatever happened to innocent until proved guilty?

Indeed Len. I've not heard of this before so am happy to be put right if the facts suggest anything untoward, but have to say that I am offended by the response from Cunning Stunt that being proud to be English and marching to that effect is in some way "racist propaganda". "Bollocks" it may be - but "racist"???
  • Sponsored links:

• Nationalist it may be, Racist it is not.The fact the two sometimes overlap doesnt mean the distinction shouldnt be made.On a personal level, all this talk of 'erosion' of identity seems bollocks to me, from where im standing it just always feels like a kneejerk reaction, White English are still a MASSIVE majority in this country, and while i dont agree with the notion of pandering to immigrant groups and giving favour over people born here, i dont feel threatened enough by their presence to buy into all this marching for the flag stuff.
  • To be honest I wouldnt go (wouldn't go anyway - think it's bollocks) if it's organised by a bunch of spuds - they normally like fighting each other and couldn't organise a piss up in a brewery.
  • Can I just ask what everyone does at this meeting?

Sing En-ger-land and No Surrender?
  • edited November 2007
    [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]

Indeed Len. I've not heard of this before so am happy to be put right if the facts suggest anything untoward, but have to say that I am offended by the response from Cunning Stunt that being proud to be English and marching to that effect is in some way "racist propaganda". "Bollocks" it may be - but "racist"???

I agree with you mate, don't think there was any need for that response as from what I could gather the guy had gone out of his way in his post to re-iterate there was no racial undertones to the post. I could be wrong of course but whatever happened to being innocent until proven guilty?

If it turns out this was an excuse for young men acting up and intimidating then I'm sure Mr Organiser will hold his hands up. Until then I don't think we can have a voiciferous decision either way. What I believe he was trying to do was make people aware of it. Like was said previous I wouldn't go because it's organised by Twattenham fans but no harm in making people aware it's happening and having pre-conceived ideas about what it is and then publishing them is very small minded in my humble opinion.
  • I fail to see the point of this March, the England flag was reclaimed from the racists at Euro 96.

You can be sure of one thing, the nf and bnp will be out in force recruiting.
  • edited November 2007
    [cite]Posted By: Salad[/cite] the England flag was reclaimed from the racists at Euro 96.

WHAT ?
  • I hate these threads.
  • [cite]Posted By: Southendaddick[/cite]I hate these threads.

So do I...

Next topic, please
  • stop posting and leaving it at the top of the page then.

oops...
  • Sink the Bismarck!
  • Sponsored links:

• DIVE, DIVE, DIVE!!
  • My decision to sink guys. Just to explain why, i'm sure the intention when posting was nothing but honest, but this is a forum primary for discussing Charlton and light-hearted banter, not for the advertising of any form of marches, on either side of the political spectrum.

Hope people either see that as fair, or at least understand its a difficult line to sometimes draw. Cheers
  • Good points AFKA, personally I'm suspicious, but open minded about the motives behind this march, and even more suspicious when no organisation is mentioned as co-ordinating or organising it. Is that a deliberate oversight? So I can see why some people here have jumped to conclusions, more so when the OP has posted here a mere three times and visited the site just six times, neither has the OP returned to add to the debate/fill in these gaps.
  • As said BFR, i'm sure it was posted up in good faith, its just not for here that's all. Lets just leave it at that.
  • What exactly is "happening to this country" Have i missed something while messing around on Internet at work... *runs and looks out the window*... nope looks the same as it has always done.
  • edited November 2007
    Good 25/30 Charlton at the last one, lets hope for the same again.
    "I fail to see the point of this March, the England flag was reclaimed from the racists at Euro 96.

You can be sure of one thing, the nf and bnp will be out in force recruiting."

Funny that, didnt happen last time. Plenty of English people from different racial backgrounds present as well.
  • [cite]Posted By: cunningstunt87[/cite]What a load of bollocks. This is a Charlton website, not a place for trying to drum up interest in your racist propaganda.

Why is it racist?...please xplain your reasoning?..