Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

My Boy Jack

edited November 2007 in Not Sports Related
Just watched "My Boy Jack" about Rudyard Kipling and his son. A brilliantly acted moving story about his sons battle to be accepted as a soldier in WWI. I can't believe that a company which makes such crappy programmes can make something as good as this. Had me reaching for the hankies at the end.

Comments

• [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]Just watched "My Boy Jack" about Rudyard Kipling and his son. A brilliantly acted moving story about his sons battle to be accepted as a soldier in WWI. I can't believe that a company which makes such crappy programmes can make something as good as this. Had me reaching for the hankies at the end.

It was a good showI would have like to have seen what happened later as Kipling became more cynical about the war and blamed himself for his son's death.

And Daniel Radcliff makes some good choices for his post Harry Potter career. Clever boy.
  • edited November 2007
    Good point Bing,

I dismissed it because i automatically think that because it is on ITV it will be rubbish..

heads for radiotimes.com to see when it is repeated.
  • Agreed, thought it was brilliant. Most ITV stuff is poor, but every now and then a gem is commisioned.

I do enjoy some of their detective drama too.
  • [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    It was a good showI would have like to have seen what happened later as Kipling became more cynical about the war and blamed himself for his son's death.

And Daniel Radcliff makes some good choices for his post Harry Potter career. Clever boy.

David Haig who played Kipling also wrote the play and the screen play. Apparently he became extremely interested in Kipling when it was pointed out how much he resembles him. I had a look at some stuff on the internet last night and he bears an uncanny resemblence.

Although I studied the First World War Poets for English A Level, and we did a bit of Kipling, I never studied his life and works in detail. I knew his son was killed but I don't remember the poem "My Boy Jack", which in the context of this film was given very great poignancy.

It must be hard when you are writing about a relatively short period of somebody's life to cover all the issues but I thought there was enough in the acting to show the paradox of the patriotic propagandist jingoism with the pain of knowing that he had orchestrated his sons commission and thus his death.
  • It was excellent and particularly poignant being screened on Remembrance Sunday and Armistice Day.

I thought the principals were excellently cast especially Haig and Ratcliffe.

I wonder if Haig is in any way related to Field Marshall Haig?
  • Agree with Bing, initially dismissed the trailer as it was on ITV. My eldest son wanted to watch it and so I gave it a go. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Thought it was so well produced.
    Now tonight we have another offering from Stephen Poliakoff. I am beginning to think that this bloke has run out of ideas but realises he can just produce any old drivel and those luvvies at the BBC will just lap it up.
    He has done some great stuff IMO, Shooting The Past was excellent, superb. However since then he has really lost it I reckon. A load of self indulgent trash, usually coupled with a documentary where he explains to Alan Yentob about how any anyone who doesn't understand his work is simply ignorant.
    Perfect Strangers beagn well but just petered away as the "big secret" ended up being nothing. The Lost Prince again promised much but delivered little and Friends & Crocodiles was a complete joke. I almost demanded a refund on the time I wasted watching that drivel. I didn't bother with Gideons Daughter.
    Tonight’s play is called Capturing Mary. The appearance of David Walliams in a major role has already put me off; however, I may give the Emperor’s new tailor one more chance.
  • sky +ed this and look foward to watching it now.
  • Iwatched this (below) on BBC4 last night. Was very, very moving - had tears in my eyes at the end when the fella read out the poem he wrote about his dad when he never came back. Well worth a watch if you get chance.

What Did You Do in the Great War, Daddy?
    Part of Armistice Night. Documentary telling the tragic story of the greatest loss of fathers in British history. When the nation was called to arms in the patriotic fervour of 1914 it was difficult to imagine that four years later half a million children would have lost their fathers in battle. The impact of their deaths was devastating and never forgotten by their sons and daughters. Now in their 90s, they go on an emotional journey to remember their lost fathers, culminating in a visit to their graves in France.
  • [cite]Posted By: DJ Davey Dave[/cite]Agree with Bing, initially dismissed the trailer as it was on ITV. My eldest son wanted to watch it and so I gave it a go. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Thought it was so well produced.
    Now tonight we have another offering from Stephen Poliakoff. I am beginning to think that this bloke has run out of ideas but realises he can just produce any old drivel and those luvvies at the BBC will just lap it up.
    He has done some great stuff IMO, Shooting The Past was excellent, superb. However since then he has really lost it I reckon. A load of self indulgent trash, usually coupled with a documentary where he explains to Alan Yentob about how any anyone who doesn't understand his work is simply ignorant.
    Perfect Strangers beagn well but just petered away as the "big secret" ended up being nothing. The Lost Prince again promised much but delivered little and Friends & Crocodiles was a complete joke. I almost demanded a refund on the time I wasted watching that drivel. I didn't bother with Gideons Daughter.
    Tonight’s play is called Capturing Mary. The appearance of David Walliams in a major role has already put me off; however, I may give the Emperor’s new tailor one more chance.

Tend to agree on Poliakoff. You always know it's one of his and when he's good he's very good but some stuff is difficult to get into.

Disagree about the Lost Prince. Really enjoyed it and found it very moving and sad that such people would neglect and ignore their son in such a way. Also for the insight into his brother Edward VIII's life.
  • anyone know if its repeated ?
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]anyone know if its repeated ?

That's a bleedin silly question isn't it? It's more a question of "when" not "if" - what with all of these channels they have to fill these days!

"What Did You Do in the Great War, Daddy?" is on again on Wednesday, apparently. Dunno about the other one - don't like Harry Potter.
  • everything seems to be repeated apart from interesting stuff that you would like to see repeated......
  • edited November 2007
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]
    I thought the principals were excellently cast especially Haig and Ratcliffe.

Last nights programme was also written by Haig. There are interviews with the cast at the itv website for those who are interested. EDIT - bingaddick's pointed this out already.

Anyone who missed it can watch it in full at itv.com anytime in the next 30 days. I don't watch two hour dramas very often, but it was well worth it.
  • [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]anyone know if its repeated ?

That's a bleedin silly question isn't it? It's more a question of "when" not "if" - what with all of these channels they have to fill these days!

"What Did You Do in the Great War, Daddy?" is on again on Wednesday, apparently. Dunno about the other one - don't like Harry Potter.

There's no wizards in it, Off_it, honest...
  • edited November 2007
    I quite like Harry Potter but not necessarily Daniel Ratcliffe. Seriously I wouldn't let that worry you Off_it. If you like historical drama's well written and well acted, you will like this.

As for the Poliarkoff one, I missed it. I'm sure it will be repeated. I'll try to catch the other one on Wednesday.

My Grandfather had shell shock then wounded and eventually was sent home for good. He survived the war but had problems sleeping after that. He never talked about his experiences other than in general terms and about the songs they sang. Now we would call that post traumatic stress syndrome. Then you were a man and you had to put up with things and get on with your lives. My wifes father was gassed and invalided out. He never fully recovered his health although he lived to a good age, he had breathing problems which finally killed him. When I watch these kind of programmes my mind always goes to the thought of what would I do if I lived at that time? I just thank my lucky stars I live now and not then.
  • I've just bought the DVD, having recently been to the Imperial War Museum which had a section devoted to this. I've just watched it again and I am re-enforced in my original view that this is a superbly written acted, and produced piece which is way beyond much of ITV's normal offerings. Sure it was made by a production company with some American money but full marks to ITV for screening it.
  • The following poem is the one that Kipling wrote from which the play/programme takes it's name and which Kiplings character recites at the end.

There is something about poetry for me that just gets to my emotional button.

This from the man who wrote the nations favourite poem.

This from the man who was villified for his jingoism; but by heck he can write a poem.

“Have you news of my boy Jack?”
    Not this tide.
    “When d’you think that he’ll come back?”
    Not with this wind blowing, and this tide.

“Has any one else had word of him?”
    Not this tide.
    For what is sunk will hardly swim,
    Not with this wind blowing, and this tide.

“Oh, dear, what comfort can I find?”
    None this tide,
    Nor any tide,
    Except he did not shame his kind —
    Not even with that wind blowing, and that tide.

Then hold your head up all the more,
    This tide,
    And every tide;
    Because he was the son you bore,
    And gave to that wind blowing and that tide!
  • edited September 2008
    I thought the bloke who actually played Kippling (4 Weddings/Thin Blue Line) was excellent, stole the show from HP IMO.
  • [cite]Posted By: Chirpy Red[/cite]I thought the bloke who actually played Kippling (4 Weddings/Thin Blue Line was excellent, stole the show from HP IMO)

Well Potter was going to get the headlines and to be fair, it was a decent performance but I'd agree with you about David Haig, (and he wrote the screenplay and the play on which it's based). Kim Cattrell who played the mother/wife was also excellent and showed what a talented actress she is and a huge change from the Sex in The City role.