Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Remembrance Sunday tomorrow

Wear your poppy with pride, wherever in the world you may be.

Big up to the Swedish Canal+ team today for wearing them and attracting questions from an unknowing public who wondered what it was all about.

Comments

• Options
    Agreed.

In an age where people are too quick to jump on bandwagons - be it pro-war, anti-war or whatever, remembrance sunday should be observed by absolutely everyone in this country. Every single person who lives here owes a debt to those who sacrificed themselves combatting pure evil in the second world war - and the stupidity and futility of the first world war should never be allowed to happen again.
  • Options
    Completely agree.

Have to say that I was disappointed there wasn't a minutes silence before today's game. When did they do away with that?
  • Options
    will wear mine when out on my bik tomorrow morning.
  • Options
    Good to see some youngsters selling poppies on the way to the ground today at the top of Charlton Church Lane.
  • Options
    And my daughter off her own back bought a poppie today with her pocket money from boots.
    We went into boots in East Greenwich and she took some money from her purse,Look dad, you can put some money in a box for all the old soldiers.
    Poppie bought,Nuff said,she's gonna keep it as a reminder.
  • Options
    Picked up a couple when I was back earlier this week and have been wearing it around Chicago today and will tomorrow with pride.
  • Options
    Will both be going to mass sunday morning.
  • Options
    The ref will be asked to do a silence in the morning. Always interesting to see how the other team react on Sunday mornings.
  • Options
    It's taken really seriously here in Canada, my kids school had a big assembly on Friday where all the parents were invited
    with songs and readings and poems etc. My boy will be playing hockey at 11.00 on Sunday morning but
    there'll be a minutes silence for all teams beforehand.
  • Options
    edited November 2007
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2007
    [cite]Posted By: Albertan_Addick[/cite]It's taken really seriously here in Canada, my kids school had a big assembly on Friday where all the parents were invited
    with songs and readings and poems etc. My boy will be playing hockey at 11.00 on Sunday morning but
    there'll be a minutes silence for all teams beforehand.

Just watching the calgary/edmonton hockey game Albertan and they've got a full video of remembrance as well as "the last post" being played before the game. I personally think it's disgraceful that the club (or whoever told them they couldn't) didn't do a minutes silence. Do you know anything about this Henry?

How can we expect to continue the tradition without such acts.
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    [cite]Posted By: vancouveraddick[/cite] Just watching the calgary/edmonton hockey game Albertan and they've got a full video of remembrance as well as "the last post" being played before the game. I personally think it's disgraceful that the club (or whoever told them they couldn't) didn't do a minutes silence. Do you know anything about this Henry?

How can we expect to continue the tradition without such acts.

I don't think we've ever had a minutes silence unless we have played on November 11th or on rememberance sunday.

Don't know if the issue was raised or not but I will ask.

[cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]The ref will be asked to do a silence in the morning. Always interesting to see how the other team react on Sunday mornings.

Did it at my son's game this morning.
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Cheers Henry
  • Options
    I'm sure we always had one in the past, but could be wrong.

Would be good to hear the clubs stance on this, so thanks for offering to look into it Henry.
  • Options
    Henry, any official word on this yet?

I've been asking around and it seems to have been a bit hit and miss whether a minutes silence was held at other games or not.

Cheers.
  • Options
    I wore my poppy whilst in Seattle and Tacoma - the locals were taken aback when asked what it was for.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Solidgone[/cite]I wore my poppy whilst in Seattle and Tacoma - the locals were taken aback when asked what it was for.

The yanks were probably amazed that so many people could've died in a war that only lasted a year or so (for them!).

Did you have to explain to them where Europe actually was and that it wasn't just the name of a dodgy 80's glam-metal band???
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]Henry, any official word on this yet?

I've been asking around and it seems to have been a bit hit and miss whether a minutes silence was held at other games or not.

Cheers.

No, not had a chance to ask as people either on hols or on missions overseas.
  • Options
    Ok, cheers.

"missions overseas" sounds exciting. Go on, tell us more.

Has Reg gone over to persude Beckham to come on loan for the rest of the season? Or Roaldinho maybe?