Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

What has been your costliest mistake.

edited November 2007 in Not Sports Related
Booking a holiday at the wrong time and missing an important game.

Putting the wrong fuel in your vehicle, and paying a fortune to have it put right.

Losing your credit card.

Comments

• Options
    fantastic question
  • Options
    Not putting a tenner on lisbie to score a hatrick against liverpool.
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Not backing a tip that came in at 36/1 a few years back.

Accidently jacking my car up on the radiator and completely f*cking it a week before I was due to take it to Le Mans. Managed to replace it (just) but had to fix a leak on the way down.

Thinking I could replace the the extractor fan on the old central heater boiler myself, realising I couldn't halfway through the job. Not being able to put it back together and having to bite the bullet and spend 2k on a new boiler.
  • Options
    Getting very drunk in the West End about seven years ago , and listening to a mate who said he knew of a brilliant bar called Janet's with gorgeous women and an all-night licence. And being too stupid too spot exactly what type of bar it was when you weren't allowed to talk to the girls without buying them a bit of champagne, and waking up the following morning to find I'd signed on my credit card to buy two bottles of very ordinary champagne at £550 each.
  • Options
    Putting the wrong fuel in your vehicle, and paying a fortune to have it put right.

I`ve done that, fortunately I drive a company car, unfortunately my boss has been known to read this site, but it was a few years ago now, total cost was £200/£300 :(
  • Options
    Turning down a few young ladies when they've reqested a night of fun filled passion...Looking back I feel a bit stupid!
  • Options
    Not buying a property three years before I did
  • Options
    Nothing major.

Staying in the same job for too long and feeling a bit institutionalised.

Other than that, thinking i was clever starting a Charlton song at the station when surrounded by West Ham and getting a few clumps for my troubles.
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Probably renting our first place for a year rather than staying put and saving that money for a hefty deposit. What made it worse is that when we did finally get our own place, because we didn't have anything behind us we went for one of those 'we pay your deposit' incentives so paid well over the odds then lost half the value of the place thanks to Black Wednesday

Although we're in a lovely place now, I don't think we ever recovered from that and feel we're always behind where we could and should have been.
  • Options
    I was going to put £100 on us winning the league at the start of the 1999/2000 season but talked myself out of it. We were 14-1 at the time so I threw £1400 away.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Getting married
  • Options
    Securing a major contract in a meeting (at Vimto's manufacturers).

And then backing into the chairman's bright red Porsche as I reversed out of the car park, whilst on the phone to my boss detailing my triumph.

The contract was cancelled.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oakster[/cite]Securing a major contract in a meeting (at Vimto's manufacturers).

And then backing into the chairman's bright red Porsche as I reversed out of the car park, whilst on the phone to my boss detailing my triumph.

The contract was cancelled.

OUCH!
  • Options
    By many thousands of pounds, marrying my first wife (and getting divorced). I must have been stupid.
  • Options
    Buying a TVR tuscan for 42 grand , then selling it 7 months later for 29 grand .

And buying shirt numbers in the Arsenal game last night did n't do me any favours either

And what JVL did , too many times ....
  • Options
    Belting a copper on Hastings Pier around 1979 having already been arrested. The fine was around £450 which was nearly three months wages! I paid it off over two years.
  • Options
    Not buying my two bed flat in Greenwich overlooking the thames by the Cutty Sark for £21K ten years back, only just met the missus mind and didnt want to commit. Two kids and ten years down the line, private renting and still trying to get first mortgage!
  • Options
    can honestly say I haven't - i am bit of a cautious fecker

got into the property market at it's lowest ebb and in all my property moves have made a fair old packet so been very lucky.

have talked about making a few bets and forgottten to put my money where my mouth is or , as above, to cautious to do it so haven't bothered and not done the bet.
  • Options
    Had the option a few years back of buying a flat or going travelling.Opted for the travelling and while I was away the property boom got into full swing and I was priced out on return.Also met the missus, who bled me dry, whilst on my travels so a double costly mistake. :-).
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    buying a studio flat at the age of 19 (1989) for a rediculous amount of money because we were told rentings was for fools

six months later was the big crash

am ok now, but it took some time!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    believing her when she said she was on the pill!!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: SE10Addick[/cite]believing her when she said she was on the pill!!

ouchy!
  • Options
    Just thought of one actually

spent my 1st year of work temping around the City as I didn't have a clue what I wanted to do. My last temp position was working for SG Warburg amongst the internal messengers at on the trading floor - i took an interest in the trading stuff but got bored of waiting for a position to come up so started applying for F/T work elsewhere - got a job and was then asked if I was interested in a job on the trade desk - turned it down as thought there was no decent money in it.

Oh well.

I've done alright but hey could have been a lot better.
  • Options
    Not investing my redundancy in property in 2000 like my mates did. They did very well out of it.....
    Instead i pissed it all up the wall in an orgy of travelling in Africa and Australasia....no regrets though.

Also not realising I had a tx message until I got home last friday in clapham from that hot bird and her mate asking me to come and keep them company!...... a costly mistake.
  • Options
    Not taking up Lloyds TSB on their Staff Mortgage for Life offer at less than 4.00% around 20 years ago, big mistake.
  • Options
    2nd Visit to Australia ended up costing me $600,000AUD, a 5 bed farmhouse £660K, 5 cars, and the respect of my children (at least temporarily)...however, 3 years down the line I have to say that Im a happier person now and the old adage that you cant teach an old dog new tricks is a load of rubbish :-)