Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

What magazines do you read / subscribe to ?

124»

Comments

• Options
    edited January 2023
    IdleHans said:
    Went to buy WSC yesterday, then saw it was something like £2.70 for not very much, so decided not to bother
    So I baulked at paying £2.70 13 years ago for a magazine, just looked and it’s now £4.50.

...and it's desperately thin these days.
    Theyve changed the paper, it's almost like tissue.
    I took advantage of an offer years ago whereby if you subscribed by DD they promised never to increase the price so now I get 12 issues for £21 including postage. I feel a bit guilty about it but a deal's a deal.
    It also has fewer pages I think?

Fair enough - you gave them the security they needed to carry on, but I suspect they must be very close to shutting down the print magazine now.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Seems a long time ago that would religiously read FHM, GQ and Esquire every month. 

Are these even still going 

Both GQ and Esquire still going, both really sh!t now.

Cancelled my Esquire sub a few years ago, it's gone from being "style and substance" to full of 10 minute fashion fads, hipster looks and "why you need to embrace Machine gun Kelly's hot new look this summer" articles.

GQ is obsessed with Harry Styles and his 1990's mum's fashion look. Wouldn't be surprised if he's the editor he's plastered over it so much.
    Where is there to go with a beard other than a bigger beard?  They've painted themselves into a corner.

Hans Langseth - Wikipedia
  • Options
    holyjo said:
    Which
    Yeah, that’s what he said, which, come on?
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    Classic Rock Magazine
  • Options
    I pay £7 per month for a subscription called Readly which give you access to 100s of magazines including a fair number of the ones quoted on this thread and quite a few of the daily papers which you can download and read offline. I think its great value for.money and would definetly recommend it 👍
    Thanks for this. It's got a few things I'd like - £9.99 a month for new subscribers but with 2 months free.
  • Options
    Have just restarted my subscription to Mundial mag, which is great for all things footy culture. At £10 a pop, I’m glad it’s only a quarterly! 
    Also Disco Pogo for music. 
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    Still subscribing to WSC, still the best football read out there. 

I also get Vintage Rock (veers off the main subject a bit, but generally good if somewhat expensive), UK Rock n Roll (terrible, but the fact it is there at all and is in Smiths is enough to make me want to support them) and Private Eye (which everyone should read if they have any interest in what is really going on in politics) whenever I am in the UK.  
  • Options
    BEER, used to read What's Brewing but it's only on line now.
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    Turps Banana is a very good read 
  • Options
    Jints said:
    CheshireAddick said:
    I pay £7 per month for a subscription called Readly which give you access to 100s of magazines including a fair number of the ones quoted on this thread and quite a few of the daily papers which you can download and read offline. I think its great value for.money and would definetly recommend it 👍
    Thanks for this. It's got a few things I'd like - £9.99 a month for new subscribers but with 2 months free.

👍
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    MOD.  I do use Libby online to view free Mags via Bexley Library.
  • Options
    RHS 
    Listed property owners

• Options
    Which?
  • Options
    When Saturday Comes
    Beer (comes with a CAMRA subscription)
    Private Eye (on and off)
    Sight & Sound
  • Options
    Private Eye.

Might restart WSC, though find it a bit too sanctimonious from time to time. 
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    Two very well written and funny articles in WSC this month reviewing BBC and particularly ITV's coverage of the world cup. For example:
    "[Mark Pougatch's] sudden occasional frown on finishing an innocuous phrase is a diverting idiosyncrasy - as if in return for his rise to eminence in the field of sports presentation, he is cursed to recall a mining disaster every ten minutes" 
    "At the charmless end of the spectrum, Lee Dixon's tone of grudgeful sarcasm was relentless. - if Pixar ever need someone to voice a landfill microwave, Dixon is their man"
    Worth it this month just for those four pages
  • Options
    holyjo said:
    Which
    Grammar police alert.