Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Comments

• Options
    The Guardian:
    Gary Johnson, the Bristol City manager, has promised to keep to his word and bare his backside in a shop window and his side were left similarly exposed last night...
  • Options
    Worrying that all but 1 of the reports make a mention of our poor finishing and that we should have been "coasting" by half time

It's a bit of a concern that we had 14 shots on goal (8 on target) but only scored once, in the last minute.

I'm chuffed that we got the 3 points but wasteful finishing does seem to be a reaccuring theme this season.
  • Options
    Depends which way you look at it, I'd say it was positive. Would far rather we created chances without scoring than we just didn't create them at all!

Interesting to see Basey's being given a few freee kicks as well...
  • Options
    At least the defence seems to have sorted itself out. 2 away games and 2 clean sheets, don't think that anyone would have expected that.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: PassItToLeaburn[/cite]Depends which way you look at it, I'd say it was positive. Would far rather we created chances without scoring than we just didn't create them at all!

Very good point, you also come away feeling you've been entertained rather than how it felt after QPR the other week.
  • Options
    Thanks Salad - saves me foraging around on the trains!

Poor finishing / not killing teams off has certainly hurt us a few times this season, but I'm not sure how many of us really expected any one striker to be truly prolific this season. Spreading the goals around is clearly essential and every extra one added from midfield / defence (even if we're ever holding a commanding lead) can add so much to the individual's confidence, to the extent that he might just be more composed when the next more important chance comes along. I just get the feeling that a few - Ambrose, Varney, & of course McLeod do have goals in them if they can just nick a relatively unimportant late "icing on the cake" job. I know; let's put 4 past Cardiff (no pressure there then!).
  • Options
    Whilst Sodje seems to have made our defence much stronger for now, it is becoming increasingly clear that our midfield is significantly better than our strikeforce. Marcus Bent coming back would be no bad thing.
  • Options
    Not entirely sure Id want to see Bent back at the Valley. May end up being out of our hands, as the chances of the new manager (when they appoint one) wanting to buy Bent is pretty remote in my opinion. Just dont see Marcus as being a sudden revelation and or prolific in the CCC.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Salad[/cite]Whilst Sodje seems to have made our defence much stronger for now, it is becoming increasingly clear that our midfield is significantly better than our strikeforce

So far this season our top scorer is Big Chris with 6. Varney has 2.

Goals from midfield JT - 0, Reid - 3 (2 pens) Sam - 1, ZZ - 2

I think that 4 goals from open play is a pretty poor return considering the quality of those players and it's not just the strikers that need to sharpen up in front of goal.
  • Options
    fair point, but also if the strikers showed better movement, we would see more midfielders getting into the box