Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Jehovah Witness thing in the paper

edited November 2007 in Not Sports Related
I can't get my head round why you would allow the mother of your newborn twins die because of this daft religious rule.

Now I know some of you will say it's their religion etc and I respect people have their beliefs but I am sorry even you yoghurt knitters have to see this is bollox ----

As a father of a new born baby I just can't get understand it I really can't - it's very sad......

Comments

• WSSWSS
    edited November 2007
    [cite]Posted By: Ledge[/cite] I am sorry even you yoghurt knitters have to see this is bollox ----
    agree with you Ledge but the above quote is brilliant
  • I heard about this on BBC News this morning and thought the same thing.

There was a case in Canada last year (I think) where the JW parents didn't want to give their kid a life saving operation because it contradicted their faith. As far as I remember the Hospital were looking to take the case to the High Court, take the kids into care, complete the operation, and then sign the children back over to the parents.

As sad as losing your wife / mother of your child must be, to watch one of your children die because you deny them basic medical help on religious grounds, is even more startling.

Perhaps some of the CanukAddicks could update us on this.
  • So they let the mother die but wont let anybody else die on their on accord i.e a elderly person.
  • the reports I had read suggested that a transfusion would not have saved the woman but I stand to be corrected. That said any organisation that would rather have its followers die than question whether or not an ancient book is literally 100% accurate is royally fcuked up.
  • My disabled Aunt was a Jehova's Witness but was "excommunicated" for "living in sin" with a disabled male friend - they were phsically incapable of doing anything morally wrong!

Each to their own - the Lady made a brave decision based on what she believed to be right, but I had less sympathy with the husband who also refused permission to intercede and is now "devastated"

I understand that it is common for Hospitals in the UK to make children of Jehova's Witnesses wards of court.

My Dad gets regular visits but when he explains he has had a life saving blood transfusion they usually give up.
  • As a father of twins myself I cannot believe this woman chose not to live and see her wonderful children grow up! what is it with religion? seems to be the cause of most of the worlds problems!
  • [cite]Posted By: Al the Addick[/cite]seems to be the cause of most of the worlds problems!
    In my opinion it is the cause of all the world problems other than global warming which even i dispute is real
  • Another god freak bites the dust, my heart bleeds.
  • Well obviously none of us share the same depths of beliefs that this woman held. To me it’s all bull and makes no sense, but you can’t relate the importance of things that mean a lot to others yet nothing to you.

As an example, I can’t understand how anyone in this day of CCTV, police overkill and weaponary, actively go out to get themselves involved in football hooliganism stuff away from the ground. The possibility of prison is very real nowadays, as are the possibility of injuries that may blight the rest of your life. But people still go looking for it. You told that ‘if you have to explain why, then you’ll never understand.’

Surely this is the same ?
  • edited November 2007
    Religion in itself is not the cause of the world's problems, it is bad people misinterpreting and abusing religious teachings to legitimise their own evil ends that is the cause.

This is a tragic case and it is difficult if not impossible for non- Jehovahs Witnesses to understand.

We may consider him to be misguided but it could be argued the husband displayed an incredible moral strength to take an action that must have gone against his every instinct.

I wouldn't have been able to do what he did if I was a Jehovah's Witness.
  • Sponsored links:

• what exactly is it they have 'witnessed' ?
  • Just backs up what I think about ALL religion, it's all b*llocks!
  • [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]what exactly is it they have 'witnessed' ?

They would say they have an insight into Jehovah and his teachings and 'witness' in this context is spreading the word.

Hence the well dressed people knocking on your door to speak to you and sell copies of Watchtower (I think that's what the magazine is called).
  • There was another case in Dublin that went to the courts in an emergency hearing it was ruled that the mothers right to decline medical treatment came below the right of the newborn children to have a mother and consiquently she was given a transfusion... she's now sueing.
  • [cite]Posted By: T[/cite]There was another case in Dublin that went to the courts in an emergency hearing it was ruled that the mothers right to decline medical treatment came below the right of the newborn children to have a mother and consiquently she was given a transfusion... she's now sueing.

There is a certain irony (if that is the right word in this context) that women have "choice" when it comes to killing their babies via abortion yet the "choice" is questioned when they choose to kill themselves by opting out of medical treatment.
  • [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]Religion in itself is not the cause of the world's problems, it is bad people misinterpreting and abusing religious teachings to legitimise their own evil ends that is the cause.

Isnt that a bit of a chicken / egg question Len?

I blame the EU myself!! ;-)
  • I blame Andrew Mills! ;o)
  • [cite]Posted By: T[/cite]There was another case in Dublin that went to the courts in an emergency hearing it was ruled that the mothers right to decline medical treatment came below the right of the newborn children to have a mother and consiquently she was given a transfusion... she's now sueing.

While I agree with pretty much everything that has been said, forcing treatment on someone who has, by there own free will, stated that they don't want it, doesn't sit quite right.
  • I have some very strong opinions on this, but above all else I feel for the twins - it is terrible that they will never feel their mother's love.
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]Well obviously none of us share the same depths of beliefs that this woman held. To me it’s all bull and makes no sense, but you can’t relate the importance of things that mean a lot to others yet nothing to you.

As an example, I can’t understand how anyone in this day of CCTV, police overkill and weaponary, actively go out to get themselves involved in football hooliganism stuff away from the ground. The possibility of prison is very real nowadays, as are the possibility of injuries that may blight the rest of your life. But people still go looking for it. You told that ‘if you have to explain why, then you’ll never understand.’

Surely this is the same ?

Because they are mentally deficient idiots who think they'll never get caught.
  • [cite]Posted By: Charlton Dan[/cite]I heard about this on BBC News this morning and thought the same thing.

There was a case in Canada last year (I think) where the JW parents didn't want to give their kid a life saving operation because it contradicted their faith. As far as I remember the Hospital were looking to take the case to the High Court, take the kids into care, complete the operation, and then sign the children back over to the parents.

As sad as losing your wife / mother of your child must be, to watch one of your children die because you deny them basic medical help on religious grounds, is even more startling.

Perhaps some of the CanukAddicks could update us on this.

You're right that it was in Canada Dan, without going into loads of details and from what I can remember the JW woman had a multiple birth and one of the kids died because she refused to allow surgery under religious grounds. Now I don't like telling people what they should and shouldn't do especially when religion is involved but what really pissed me off about the situation was that the woman had taken fertility drugs prior to pregnancy that had "artificially" increased the chance of multiple birth by a countless percentage.

So she took the drugs which caused the issue but refused the surgery to solve the problem - Ridiculous.
  • edited November 2007
    I too can't understand how a religion can allow this to happen but I accept that as I'm a life long atheist I have a different perspective. Personally I think, as with most things consenting adults should be allowed to make their own decisions on this, assisted dieing, abortion, sexual activity etc but that children should not be allowed to suffer due to their parents views.

This is a current and on-going issue for my wife as she manages operating theatres and has to get consent forms signed by everyone. JWs usually have a pre-prepared letter stating what they can and can't have - They can have plasma boosters that don't contain blood for example. Not all operations need a transfusion in any case

Children can be made a ward of court in the UK but that takes time which won't always be available in an operation. What do you to in an emergency?

Medical staff have to respect the wishes of those they are treating so other religous or personal views are taken into account as well as those of JWs. We all have a right to refuse treatment as long as are deemed to be able to make an informed decision.
  • [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]I too can't understand how a religion can allow this to happen but I accept that as I'm a life long atheist I have a different perspective. Personally I think, as with most things consenting adults should be allowed to make their own decisions on this, assisted dieing, abortion, sexual activity etc but that children should not be allowed to suffer due to their parents views.

Well said, almost verbatim what I was going to write.

Although I too can't understand how a religion can allow this to happen, I'm not surprised – most religions don't give a damn about the suffering they cause, in this case the poor kids who will grow up without their mother.