Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

North and South London

edited November 2007 in Not Sports Related
I have recently been living in North London over the past couple of years – well North West London to be factual but what amazes me is that in the local boozer they can tell that I’m from south of the river – I thought it was my pearly coat that gave it away but you wouldn’t Adam and Eve it but it’s me accent!

And I’ve also found out that it’s not only the taxi cabs that don’t do south London but even north Londoners seem afraid to come over and have a butchers around…cor blimey…. That’s probably why Arsenal went north but you don’t get them coming south!

Anyway, they seem like a decent lot here and being the only Charlton fan for miles it hasn’t taken long to settle in the pub. Cant believe it but one of em is a Watford fan – never met one before!

Strange innit…….anyone else experienced this north south phenomenon and can tell me why

Comments

• the bottom line is they're both very similar, in that fact that one street it can be nice, and go two streets along it can be rough.
  • I keep hearing this Cabbie's won't venture South of the River nonsense, what's that all about ? Do South Londoners interrogate all Cabbie's from North of the River then proceed to kick the living sh*t out of them? What is it ?
  • is it same with the Medway?
  • [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]is it same with the Medway?

Not the Medway but definately in the Bourne very snobbish between East & Westies ! :-)
  • I lived in Muswell Hill for 4 years and I found North London to be a different world. Not better or worse but different.

I found it to be a more racially tolerant area, mainly due to the mix of communities (greek, jewish etc)

My wife is a deputy head and she has mentioned to me that since moving over this way she's noticed a marked difference in attitudes (even from pc, right on teachers!)
  • Dont understand the idea that South London is any worse than North of the river, some places in North and West London are utter dives. Never felt more intimidated in this city than in Tottenham.
  • north londoners will slag off south london all day long but when you ask them how often they come here they don't.

where as south londoners will slag off north london based on our own experiences
  • [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]is it same with the Medway?

Not the Medway but definately in the Bourne very snobbish between East & Westies ! :-)

Don't get Dyer started on the Westside, Eastside sh!te!
  • What daveMehmets saying is that North Londoners are a bunch of fey soya-eating liberal ponces!

South East Londoners beligerence comes from the fact that the Underground never came down here and nor did the Evening Standard.

The Evening Standard thought London ended at Tower Bridge.
  • "What daveMehmets saying is that North Londoners are a bunch of fey soya-eating liberal ponces!"

Not quite but they certainly are a different breed.

With regards to the underground and standard; You can stick the overcrowded, smelly, sh*tty serviced tube up your ar*e along with the poxy rag!
  • Sponsored links:

• And when the Underground did come to South East London, they named the station 'North' Greenwich....
  • I always get there 'wheres your pineapples' at first I just done a embarrased, what the fcuk you on about laugh but they kept on. What they were going on about is that they can tell a south londoner all day long by the way they walk as if they have a pineapple under each arm.
    Got to admit, now though, South east london in particular is a shit hole and being made more and more that way by the people, sorry scummy people that live in it, the way they spit, dont say thank you, blah, blah, blah.
    I was born in Woolwich, brought up in Charlton, and live in Greenwich, Now Abbey Wood.

Dont really want my kids living within 15 miles of any of them now due to the inhabitants of these now shit communities, shame, loved growing up in Charlton.
  • One difference I forgot to mention (which used to really annoy me) is that no-one acknowledges you if you give way or let them pass whilst driving
  • [cite]Posted By: Charltonparklane[/cite]
    I was born in Woolwich, brought up in Charlton, and live in Greenwich, Now Abbey Wood.

Dont really want my kids living within 15 miles of any of them now due to the inhabitants of these now shit communities, shame, loved growing up in Charlton.

Well, see you later, then.

North and South London ain't that much different, really. Now West London... that's the strange one.
  • Not talkin about moving north, just out of London.
  • Splitter alert...
  • Badger - I'll still met up for a beer honest! Off to Seattle on Monday but will arrange to meet up on my return.
  • Worked in Kilburn for 2.5 years and was frequently asked "where was I from?" (Lived in Eltham all my life)

Also,.... it must bet he Thames that determines whether you get a front garden or not!
  • [cite]Posted By: Solidgone[/cite]Ibut what amazes me is that in the local boozer they can tell that I’m from south of the river – I thought it was my pearly coat that gave it away but you wouldn’t Adam and Eve it but it’s me accent!

To be honest mate I can normally tell if someone Norf or Sarf from their accent.

My missus was amazed by this when we first meet. Then again she does come from Somerset and they all talk a bit weird down there..........Me luvveeer
  • edited November 2007
    Apparently, and several people have said this, my accent becomes much more sarf when i'm the other side of the river, although nowadays, it's generally only for football.

I've been a north londoner now for over twenty years, allbeit the last 2 have been only by about 100 yards, and on the west side.
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: StanmoreAddick[/cite]
    I've been a north londoner now for over twenty years, allbeit the last 2 have been only by about 100 yards, and on the west side.

That didn't stop David "Diddy" Hamilton at Fulham calling our match over there a "south London derby" a couple of years ago.
  • Although, breifly putting on anorak, Fulham is SW6 so according to the post office is in south london.

Maybe that gives us an indication what DH does now in his (plenty of) spare time :-)
  • I can't imagine a leafy Borough of Islington High St having a BNP campaign stand set up on a Saturday like we did in Eltham yesterday. Well not without casuing some sort of incident anyway.
    No one seemed to take any notice. Anyone else see it? I hope the Daily Mail didn't. Eltham doesn't help itself sometimes.....
  • edited November 2007