Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The week that was - Friday 31st October 1975. Charlton 4 Southampton 1

edited October 2007 in General Charlton
Friday 31st October 1975. Charlton Athletic 4 (1) (Hales 13, 68, Fisher o.g. 49, Warman 59) Southampton 1 (0) (Osgood 83). The Valley. Att: 16,036

Charlton: Tutt, Penfold, Warman, Bowman, Giles, D Young, Powell, Hales, Flanagan, Hunt, Peacock (Curtis 81).

Southampton: Middleton, Rodrigues, Peach, Holmes, Bennett, Blyth, Fisher, Channon, Osgood, McCalliog, Stokes. Unused sub: Steele.

Southampton, a division two side, beat Manchester United in the F.A. Cup Final at Wembley this season with a very similar team. Just for good measure we spanked them 6-2 the following season too!

http://www.charltonlife.com/forum/comments.php?DiscussionID=10967&page=1#Item_1

Former Charlton players Derek Ufton, Peter Croker, Benny Fenton and Arthur Horsefield watched the game, Charlton's 2,000th Football league match.

Comments

• Options
    That is the game I remember for not remembering if you know what I mean! Those friday night games were dangerous. Missed the first goal as we were still in the pub, missed the second goal as we were still downstairs in the courage bar underneath the covered end, missed the third goal as I was going for a piss. Then we steamed into the Southampton fans in the covered end and I got thrown out and missed the last two goals. 5 goals not one seen and never will!
  • Options
    LOL, quality
  • Options
    I think it was this game that they are an area of the south terrace fenced off with fireworks in and these were set off before the game.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Harry Gregory[/cite]That is the game I remember for not remembering if you know what I mean! Those friday night games were dangerous. Missed the first goal as we were still in the pub, missed the second goal as we were still downstairs in the courage bar underneath the covered end, missed the third goal as I was going for a piss. Then we steamed into the Southampton fans in the covered end and I got thrown out and missed the last two goals. 5 goals not one seen and never will!

Now thats what I call a night out. On the lash before during and presumably after. Thrown out and no doubt throwing up by the end of the evening. Brilliant story!!!

I went to the game, seem to remember some trouble as Southampton always came with a fair few. Their side was pretty decent with old "Linacerrrrr" himself Mick Channon and Ossie up front plus the cup winning goal scorer Bobby Stokes.

We were so good at home, almost unstoppable with Paddy, Keefy, Killer and Flash. Just a shame we didn't quite have enough to win promotion.

Those friday evening games were bloody fantastic. I was sixteen at the time (but looked eighteen). Living between Orpington and Sevenoaks, we used to find a pub on the way home. It varied but on evening kick offs it was usually the Farwig Arms (Charringtons), Crown, Burnt Ash Hill (Youngs), Sawyers Arms - Bromley Common (Shepherd Neame).

Happy days........
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Hi Bing - in those days, the Sawyers Arms by Bromley Common bus garage was my local - I used to live just a few minutes away down Brewery Road.

Pint of Sheps Master Brew ....... and that Swiss lager they sold.
    Remember the ancient bar billiards table in the back room?
  • Options
    They sure were the days. Bring back the Courage bar under the covered end. With plastic beer bottles.
  • Options
    Love these posts,just brilliant,brings back so many good memories.
    A Good few in the Watermans arms,and that bar under the covered end for meeting up again at half time with faces was legendary.
    Great pubs Bingaddick,used 'em all the time.
  • Options
    I loved those Friday evening games too as they meant I could see more of Charlton.

I was playing sport myself in the seventies so the Fridays allowed me to see more games than I otherwise would have done.

Those two games against Southampton were crackers and showed what we were capable of.

Unfortunately a defence that wasn't quite good enough and Mr Gliksten cashing in on Killer stopped us fulfilling our potential and playing first division (old money) football at The Valley 20 years earlier than we eventually did.
  • Options
    Well Put LenGlover, nuff said 100% spot on.
  • Options
    Bring back Friday night games! 7.30pm kick off that would finish at 9.15pm so still plenty of time for a few light and bitters after. They were the days, when the landlord would give you three-quarters of a pint of bitter and a bottle of light ale. :-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]Hi Bing - in those days, the Sawyers Arms by Bromley Common bus garage was my local - I used to live just a few minutes away down Brewery Road.

Pint of Sheps Master Brew ....... and that Swiss lager they sold.
    Remember the ancient bar billiards table in the back room?

Oggy, I went to School at Ravenswood in Oakley Road (A233) by Keston Mark. My best mate was a year or so older than me and was heavily into real ale at the time. Shepherd Neame didn't have many pubs in the area and the Sawyers was frequented by us. Yes I remember the bar billiards table!

My Grandad drove the 47 bus from Bromley Garage which went to Shorditch and the 119 which went to Croyden.

That old swiss lager - yes can't quite remember what it was called - something like Klaustenhaller.Those were the days. Theres a McDonlads there now I think, I'm not sure whether it was the old bus garage or the pub that they converted.
  • Options
    I thought the lager that Shepherd Neame sold was Hurlimann's?
  • Options
    Bing,

Were you of the era of Ted Ward, Dan West, Dino, Paddy Moore and the Old Gut by any chance?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Harry Gregory[/cite]Bing,

Were you of the era of Ted Ward, Dan West, Dino, Paddy Moore and the Old Gut by any chance?

Certainly was mate. Ted Ward was a family friend indeed he died last year and I went to his funeral. Piggy Neal spoke at his funeral. Piggy was very frail and quite ill and I was asked if I would read his speech if he wasn't up to it. Ted was Gunners fan with a soft spot for Charlton. He used to use my season ticket when I couldn't go. He came with me and my Dad to the Play Off final. He said it was the best game he'd ever seen.

Dan West was my maths teacher for a number of years and also my form teacher. Dino (or Picker) and Paddy Moore (how much of a fruitcake was he?). I left in the upper sixth in 1977. When did you leave Harry?
  • Options
    Bing, the pub which was next to the bus garage is now a Mcdonalds,and the pub opposite is no longer.
    The larger was hurlimanns and the bottled beer was white shield, used to drink in the Keston mark also.
    A Light and bitter was always about a pint and a half.
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    [cite]Posted By: Badger[/cite]Bing, the pub which was next to the bus garage is now a Mcdonalds,and the pub opposite is no longer.
    The larger was hurlimanns and the bottled beer was white shield, used to drink in the Keston mark also.
    A Light and bitter was always about a pint and a half.

Cheers for that Badger. The McDonalds must be what was the Sawyers Arms then. Living in Norfolk now I don't get down that way very often but I vaguely remembered seeing the McDonalds by the Bus Garage. I can't remember the name of the pub opposite. My family come from the Farnborough area so I know the place pretty well. I never drank at the Mark, when I was in the sixth form we used to drink at the Fox on Keston Common and the one opposite, was it the Greyhound? I used to fish at Keston Fishponds although I mainly caught f*ck all.
  • Options
    Used to fish at Beverly park not far from from the saywers arms,caught some fantastic roach,was a stocking lake for keston ponds.
    Also used to fish(poaching) behind bromley technical college, the Rookery which is now a syndicate water but had huge Carp.
    The fox was a good pub,used to spend a lot of time around the Coppice estate.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Badger[/cite]Used to fish at Beverly park not far from from the saywers arms,caught some fantastic roach,was a stocking lake for keston ponds.
    Also used to fish(poaching) behind bromley technical college, the Rookery which is now a syndicate water but had huge Carp.
    The fox was a good pub,used to spend a lot of time around the Coppice estate.

I used to walk through Beverly park to get to school. I remember the lake there. I didn't realise it was well stocked - I'd have probably stood a better chance of catching than at Keston. I remember the Rookery - it was the one near the bottom of Oakley Road wasn't it? I thought that used to be known as the Leech Pond?

I remember the Coppice Estate, didn't it have a bit of a tough reputation?
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]I thought the lager that Shepherd Neame sold was Hurlimann's?

I stand corrected, the beers rotted my brain mate.
  • Options
    The Coppice was a tough area Bing but you stood your ground,But so was the ramsden estate in Orpinton(hated that lot always fighting with them)swings and round abouts.
    But we are moving away from a Charlton 4-1 which i'm sure mr home & away is getting confused about.
    Happy memories eh?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]I thought the lager that Shepherd Neame sold was Hurlimann's?

I stand corrected, the beers rotted my brain mate.

No worries - I remember it being pretty strong for British lager.
  • Options
    Bit short on time at the mo so I'll just bump this one for now.

Will get some new ones for next week.
  • Options
    .....a game I remember and don't remember because I was in St Christophers hospice that night watching my father die. My then girlfriend, bless her, used my season ticket to go to the game.
    I have always had a thing about halloween for the obvious reason, but also now because it used to be a religious festival, all souls night, remembering those gone before as it were. Now it's the second biggest spend after Christmas, Americanised, and about horror and stuff, and blimmin trick or treat. Don't like this time of year.
    Seth
  • Options
    4 years since this was bumped....
  • Options

They sure were the days. Bring back the Courage bar under the covered end. With plastic beer bottles.

yup, had a good few laughs in that bar ... great crowd
  • Options
    Those were the days my friend....
  • Options
    I remember the 6 - 2 game being a Friday night as well as Nationwide did a story on them that night and had the F A Cup in the studio.

Always thought as we had tonked them, then the trophy was rightfully ours.
  • Options
    Mike Channon played for England in a Euro qualifier in Czechoslovakia the night before and scored in a 2-1 defeat! None of this calling matches off for internationals in those days
    He must have been knackered and seem to remember he didn’t play too well on the Friday night
  • Options
    Just gave @Harry Gregory a like for a 10 year old comment!
  • Options
    I see CL hasn't changed over the last 10 years. OP was about a memorable evening match & by page 2 it diverged into where in Bromley you could get a light & bitter for tupence hapenny & the best place to catch fish !!