Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Failure to clear the near post man with a corner should be a hanging offence

edited October 2007 in General Charlton
Oi, Lloyd Sam - make sure you read this!

Not content with the groans after your first one you then proceeded to do exactly the same 30 seconds later.

Taking a corner is one of the simplest things on a football pitch. Cross the ball into the box - How hard can it be!

Comments

• Options
    Mate, only time i exploded all game. 'what do you effing do all week ??'

Its not just Sam, its all of them. If someone cocks up a Sunday league corner, you have a go, let alone a professional.
  • Options
    Its quite funny really, most teams get a corner and its viewed as a real chance to score.....we get one and you immediately think its just a way of giving the opposing team the ball :-)

Speaks volumes about the coaching really...doesnt it?
  • Options
    It's a decoy tactic - to make sure all goalscoring chances and assists go through Andy Reid. ;o)
  • Options
    can't argue with that moan for once.

drives me mad at how bad we are at corners - can't blame Curbs this time
  • Options
    We're just as bad defending corners & free kicks.
  • Options
    So exactly what does happen at training? and who's responsability is it for set plays?
    :-)
  • Options
    We don't normally win enough corners for Pards to worry about it .....
  • Options
    The core problem is our weak centre backs - most teams that are good at corners have centre backs who attack the ball or at least create space for the strikers....
  • Options
    wasn't the idea for ZZ to head it on ?
    We never score from corners anyway, so no problems with trynig something new, Presumably it worked in training!
  • Options
    maybe we should try a few new things in Training. Maybe practice taking corners but having defenders there too!!

just a thought
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Salad[/cite]wasn't the idea for ZZ to head it on ?
    We never score from corners anyway, so no problems with trynig something new, Presumably it worked in training!

in training of course our attack score cos it's against our joke defence!!!
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]in training of course our attack score cos it's against our joke defence!!!
    lol
  • Options
    I believe I'm correct in saying that we have not scored a LEAGUE goal from a corner since January 2006 when Hughesie scored against Birmingham.

That is a pretty poor indictment of the delivery of the various corner takers.

I have to say that although Sam cocked those two up on Saturday his delivery in general has been better than most- not that that says much!
  • Options
    Reid has put in some decent corners too, but we don't seem to have the players to attack them and cause mayhem in the box. And when we did - Herman - he managed to squander them all.

We must have gone about 70 league games now; we should have a special celebration if we manage to go two years without scoring a league goal from a corner.
  • Options
    Idea for a new flag perhaps?

15-01-2006 HUGHES 29
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Salad[/cite]
    We must have gone about 70 league games now; we should have a special celebration if we manage to go two years without scoring a league goal from a corner.

Perhaps we should have a special celebration when we next actually score from a corner.
    This season or next.....?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]I believe I'm correct in saying that we have not scored a LEAGUE goal from a corner since January 2006 when Hughesie scored against Birmingham.

That is a pretty poor indictment of the delivery of the various corner takers.

I have to say that although Sam cocked those two up on Saturday his delivery in general has been better than most- not that that says much!

I agree with you there Len I actually think Sam's corner delivery is usually pretty good. Two in a row that you scuff to the first defender has put him in a bad light this week though!

I also think the man to win headers from corners could well be Sodje (if we can find someone to kick the ball that far that is!).
  • Options
    Thats just one of the reasons i'd have Sodje over fortune. He's commited to winning headers both attacking and defending.

Look how close he came last game... shaved the crossbar didn't he ??
  • Options
    I have to say this is a fair moan, very frustrating to see. Making a mistake once is acceptable even for a pro, to make the same mistake twice in quick succession is un-acceptable. To do it continually over several years beggars belief.
  • Options
    Sodje hit the bar with a header from a corner
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It's all a clever tactic... my hammering the ball into the first man every time it will eventually lead to him have mild concussion thus giving us more of a chance in open play. Like using heavy artillary before sending the troops over the top.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: T[/cite]It's all a clever tactic... my hammering the ball into the first man every time it will eventually lead to him have mild concussion thus giving us more of a chance in open play. Like using heavy artillary before sending the troops over the top.[/quote]

Sadly we average 7 corners per season so I fail to see that this technique would come to fruition.

It's not even as if we can do an acumulation over the course of several seasons as we will be falling firther down the football league ladder if half the people on here ar eto be believed
  • Options
    even with british ropes situated a 'goal kick' away from the valley all those years, if it were to be a hanging offence we would have run out of rope long before now.
  • Options
    I believe that Big Sam whilst at Bolton had a club rule which dropped players for not getting corners past the first man.