Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

sometimes its just best to draw a line under

games like that and move on...thankfully in a season of 46 games there is comfort in the fact that the law of averages allows the teams that go up to have a few 'mares and put them behind them...lets forget last night ever happened and just start again on saturday...

Comments

• Options
    agreed. You're not going to have everything you're own way. If everyone goes dotty every time a team has a bad run, we'll Wenger would of been sacked last season and Ferguson the beginning of this one.

Its a poor run, but its by no means disasterous, or likely to shape the rest of the season. We need to, and can, get out of it very quickly, and pulling together will certainly help that process. Negativity and a nervous abusive crowd certainly won't.

3 points against QPR, we'll be back in the top four and everything will be looking rosier.
  • Options
    i feel that we are capable of winning (think afka said on another thread) 7-8 games in a row but the negative side to me also thinks that without the right management/coaching this group of players's heads will drop and we could go 7-8 games without a win.....
    we're too good a side to not be in the play offs, at least,come the end of the season in what really is a poor league and if we don't make the play offs the buck has to stop with the manager
  • Options
    Ltgtr well said, kinda of what I wanted to say, but not as cack handed as I was last night
  • Options
    On the positive side the amount of chances we are creating we might give someone like QPR a good shoeing.

The flip side is that I believe that Todorov is the only striker that we have that looks to have the ability of a top 6 Championship side. Thought we looked ok till he went off.

£4m on Varney and Mcleod - Jesus H Corbett.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite] but the negative side to me also thinks that without the right management/coaching this group of players's heads will drop

i think a negative unsupportive crowd is likely to have far more of an impact than those factors. No one has ever questioned Pards, Parkinson's or Kinsella's coaching ability until a few days ago.
  • Options
    Varney looked very uncomfortable on the wing, yes he won a few free kicks. But then we wasted them everytime. Main problem is no experience up front.
  • Options
    Im sorry but Varney is out of his depth at the top end of Championship football.

The Garry Nelson comparison is perfect for me. Good channel runner, good pace, will occasionally beat his man but sadly just not good enough for where we want to be.

Difference is Nelse had a good football brain and only cost 2% of Varneys fee.

Been saying it for a while, play to our strengths especially away from home. Only clean sheet away was 4-5-1.

We have the best midfield in this division (FACT) but sadly dont have the firepower of Wolves, West Brom and Watford up front.

Play Thomas on the left, Sam on the right, Reid and Zheng in the middle, Semedo protecting the back four (and I mean properly protecting the back four).

Thomas and Sam turn 4-5-1 into 4-3-3 at the drop of a hat, also have Reid and Zheng bombing forward. That team will still score goals but might give the back four a bit more protection.

Oh and drop Bougherra who appears to be a distant relative of El Kak.

Grr
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Southendaddick[/cite]

We have the best midfield in this division (FACT) but sadly dont have the firepower of Wolves, West Brom and Watford up front.

Play Thomas on the left, Sam on the right, Reid and Zheng in the middle, Semedo protecting the back four (and I mean properly protecting the back four).

Thomas and Sam turn 4-5-1 into 4-3-3 at the drop of a hat, also have Reid and Zheng bombing forward. That team will still score goals but might give the back four a bit more protection.

I'm inclined to agree with that whole heartedly.
  • Options
    it's a concern that teams are coming to the valley and getting a result out of one, two or three chances at most. that's a bad reflection on both our defence and attack.
  • Options
    thought the Plymouth keeper had a pretty good game to be fair
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: stoneroses19[/cite]Varney looked very uncomfortable on the wing, yes he won a few free kicks. But then we wasted them everytime. Main problem is no experience up front.

That really didn't work. When Toddy went off, Varney should have gone up front with either McCleod or Thomas going on the right.

Agree with Southend, Varney and McCleod look a bit out of their depth at this level.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Southendaddick[/cite]Im sorry but Varney is out of his depth at the top end of Championship football.

The Garry Nelson comparison is perfect for me. Good channel runner, good pace, will occasionally beat his man but sadly just not good enough for where we want to be.

Difference is Nelse had a good football brain and only cost 2% of Varneys fee.

Been saying it for a while, play to our strengths especially away from home. Only clean sheet away was 4-5-1.

Oh and drop Bougherra who appears to be a distant relative of El Kak.

Grr

Agree. I don't think we don't have a 20 goal striker like King or Phillips so we need to be getting plenty of goals from the midfield.

Sam and Thomas on the wings and give Reid a free role (which is what he seems to be playing anyway) Semedo in the holding role.
  • Options
    who would you have as the one up top Southend ? Iwelumo ?
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Iwelumo or Varney, depends on the oppostion.

Iwelumo has the height, Varney has the pace???

On the basis Todorov is out.
  • Options
    Not sure if I agree re the Varney & McLeod Comments above. Some of our football from the half way line to the penalty area was a joy to behold & Varney was involved in some of that one touch stuff. McLeod needs a goal end of story, think you'll see a different player then. To me it's the back four that has been & will always be our problem. Our Full Back turned his back for the first goal & the second goal defied believe from a defensive perspective. If my vets team gave away cheap goals like that on a Sunday I would be fuming, for a pro team to do it is un-acceptable.
  • Options
    Completely agree Southend...
    I posted exactly the same "in the cold light of day" thread.

No need to panic just yet though.... we can turn it around.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]thought the Plymouth keeper had a pretty good game to be fair[/quote]

How many saves did he make in the second half? not many and not enough.
  • Options
    FAO AFKA I've been questoining Pards for at least the last 2 months or so, and suggesting Reid in the middle with Zheng or Semedo but got slated on here for it.

:)