Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The week that was - 22nd October 1960. Charlton 6 Middlesbrough 6

edited October 2007 in General Charlton
22nd October 1960. Charlton Athletic 6 (4) (Werge, Edwards (3), Leary, Summers) Middlesbrough 6 (4) (Clough (3), Burbeck (2), McLean). The Valley. Att 10,064.

Charlton: Duff, Sewell, Townsend, Hinton, Tocknell, Lucas, Lawrie, Edwards, Leary, Werge, Summers.

Boro: Appleby, Bilcliff, McNeil, Harris, Thomson, Yeoman, Waldock, McLean, Clough, Peacock, Burbeck.

Referee: G Pullin (Bristol).

Charltons final equalising goal came in the 89th minute by Johnny Summers. Seven of the goals came in a seventeen minute spell.
The only other 6-6 draw in the football league occured at Filbert Street in 1930 between Leicester City and Arsenal.

Just one of a serious of high scoring games for Charlton during this season. The previous week we had won away at The Goldstone Ground, the score? 3-5!

In Charltons 42 league games we scored 97 goals (60 at The Valley) and conceded 91. (Thats 188 goals in 42 matches for you thicko's!). That's an average of nearly 4.5 goals per match.

The Plymouth games totalled 20 goals, winning 6-4 at home and losing by the same score away.

Comments

• Options
    Boring, boring Charlton.
  • Options
    apparently those in the back row were put there because they had illuminous yellow boots........
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]apparently those in the back row were put there because they had illuminous yellow boots........

And jug ears...
  • Options
    Those were the days, if I remember correctly the two Plymouth games were over the Christmas holidays, we won at the Valley and then went down to Home Park and lost - 20 goals in a week!
  • Options
    what was your first season going LL ?
  • Options
    No the previous season was my 1st when we also beat Plymouth 5-2 at home and lost 6-4 away, but lost away to Villa 11-1 - here's hoping we score another 6 tonight, as long as they score less!
  • Options
    A goalfest!
  • Options
    As usual the Programme can be seen here

http://www.flickr.com/photos/addicks7-6/8572496282

Want to see more Charlton Programmes, then visit

http://www.flickr.com/photos/addicks7-6/sets/
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    I used to have a newspaper report of this game that I found under some floorboards while I was doing a job at a house in Bromley. Remember it saying that after our late equaliser there was a pitch invasion when loads of youngsters ran on in celebration. A certain Mr Brian Clough scored a treble for them.

That must have been some 1st half, 4.4 at half time!
  • Options
    I remember how dark it was getting, Charlton were one of the few remaining clubs without floodlights, when a certain Mr. Summers grabbed the equalizer!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I didn`t know there were no floodlights then, when were they installed at The Valley?
  • Options
    1964 or 65
  • Options
    Okay, thanks for that! I only began going down there in 1975 and you just assume that they were always a part of the scene!
  • Options
    E-cafc said:

I didn`t know there were no floodlights then, when were they installed at The Valley?

Willie Duff said 1964 or 65 - but I was sure it was earlier than that as I remember the 62-63 season programmes had the same picture of The Valley with floodlights.

So I've gone up into the attic and rifled through some of my Dad's old programmes:

1) I came across a programme v Sunderland, dated Wednesday September 7th 1960, kick off 5.55pm.
    Early evening kick off indicates no floodlights installed.

2) Eventually found the programme v Rotherham United, dated Wednesday September 20th 1961, kick off 7.30pm.
    Reading the Club Notes on the inside cover:

"Tonight marks a further stage in the history of Charlton Athletic. This is the first League match to be played under floodlights at The Valley, and we are keeping ourfingers crossed in the hope everything goes off smoothly.

The installation of lights was made possible through the financial guarantee of Charlton's chairman Mr Stanley Gliksten, and the voluntary work of the members of Charlton Supporters' Development Fund who are raising the money over a period."

The article goes on to describe technical details of the floodlights, designers, contractors, etc which I can copy later if anyone is interested .... ?

Before my time, of course - but evidently my Dad was there at The Valley for that historical occasion.
    Any lifers attend that match - or their relatives?

• Options
    edited October 2013
    Was at the Boro game with Dad (god rest his soul) who had to take me home just after half time with raging gut ache. Luckily we only lived at Plumstead and he managed to get back for Summers equaliser so all was forgiven :0)
  • Options
    Thanks for correcting me about the circa of the floodlights Oggy, at my age the old grey box tends to get more than a little bit fuzzy!
  • Options

Thanks for correcting me about the circa of the floodlights Oggy, at my age the old grey box tends to get more than a little bit fuzzy!

So does Oggy's......
    ;-)

• Options
    I knew I could rely on you, Moggy!

No worries, Willie, fully understand.
    I went into into full Anorak mode - see I'm proper Charlton.

BTW ...... according to the programme, you were in goal for that first floodlight game!
    You conceded twice in a 2-2 draw and didn't keep a clean sheet until February.

;o)

• Options
    Oggy Red said:

I knew I could rely on you, Moggy!

No worries, Willie, fully understand.
    I went into into full Anorak mode - see I'm proper Charlton.

BTW ...... according to the programme, you were in goal for that first floodlight game!
    You conceded twice in a 2-2 draw and didn't keep a clean sheet until February.

;o)

The programme said all that: It had the score and the next few results already in there ?
    ;-)

• Options
    No Moggy ...... I simply used my powers of psychic observation.

Or put another way, I looked up the score in the fixtures & results page of a programme from later in that season.

;o)