Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

So Powell is out for Plymouth game.....Grant Basey anyone?

edited October 2007 in General Charlton
Looks like we are short on numbers for this week - I wonder if we will see Basey get a game or if we'll play someone out of position..

I say give the lad a chance - can't be any worse than Paddy Mac!!

Comments

• Options
    Well there's no other naturally left sided option really so yeah i'd agree - Semedo,Sankofa,Mills,Moo2? are only other possible options. Really think we should've recalled Youga from Scunthorpe though if possible instead of Basey. I know Basey's English and home grown so it would be nice to see him come through but Youga is getting good reviews there and has more experience at this level.
  • Options
    I had not thought of Youga and wondered if he would ever play for us actually.

I get the impression he is not wanted - but maybe I am wrong. He just doesn't look like he is going to get a sniff
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Didn't Mills play on the left for England in the world cup?

Looked OK there on Saturday (except for defending the cross which lead to the first goal)
  • Options
    We could go three across the back maybe..................we are the home team after all
  • Options
    Would like to see Semedo at LB and Racon in CM. Moo2 could come in for Ambrose if he's injured.
  • Options
    Youga was the only shining light in a dull & dismal affair when watching Scunny v Leicester on the box last week. But I may have had my red & white tinted glasses on.
    Worth a recall I'd say.
  • Options
    I thought he was Anthea Turner's hubby?
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    [cite]Posted By: Maglor[/cite]Didn't Mills play on the left for England in the world cup?

Looked OK there on Saturday (except for defending the cross which lead to the first goal)

I think you've rather hit the nail on the head. Ok on the left until he needed to defend a cross like a left back.................
  • Options
    Apparently Youga has played really really well for Scunny (I was checking one of their forums yesterday) but tonight I thik we should give Basey a go.
  • Options
    The only problem with that is you would be playing an untested left back behind Reid, who isn't going to give him much protection.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    problem is Powell is out for perhaps a month and Thatcher has just gone under the knife. Millsy ok there for a game but when we are talking four or five games then it is a different matter. Look at Sankofa at Watford. Not a left back and it showed. I'd rather give Basey a chance, recall Youga or persuede Traore to come after all.
  • Options
    can Youga be recalled ????
  • Options
    I don't think he can. Wasn't it a long term loan which means that he can only be recalled in January?
  • Options
    Basey it is then, it's his position and he will want to grab the chance with both hands.

No contest really!
  • Options
    Agree Carter, let's give the fella a chance to see what he can do.
  • Options
    i don't believe Basey to be anywhere near ready for this level yet. I'd have him on the bench at most. paricularly as BDL states, he'll be exposed.

As i said elsewhere, i'd move Mills across tonight, and bring Moo2 back.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]i don't believe Basey to be anywhere near ready for this level yet.

But how will he ever be ready if he doesn't get any experience? Even if he plays tonight and has a tough time it would be good experience for the future - and it's not as if he will just be left in there for ever once the others come back to fitness.

When was the last time we gave a youngster - a proper youngster - a starting place in the team? Konchesky/Parker?
  • Options
    Agree totally. Give Basey a go. About time another youngster came through, and one from the Community Programme as well. It will be a tough baptism but he can only gain from that.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]Agree totally. Give Basey a go. About time another youngster came through, and one from the Community Programme as well. It will be a tough baptism but he can only gain from that.

Of course Large, we could both be on here this time tomorrow eating large slices of humble pie if he plays, gets ripped to shreds and subbed after 30 minutes!

I don't really see any other option though. By playing Mills/Semedo out of position you take away from other areas of the team - and they have both been playing well of late. Moo2 at left back maybe?
  • Options
    i'm all for giving youngsters a go, i don't want to see the same kind of holdback we had during Curbs later days.

But i think the timing is really important.

Its really important we get a win behind us tonight, by all accounts Plymouth's best player at the moment is their right winger and without a Carling Cup game on offer, i'd rather see a young full back debuting in the last 20 mins of a game, rather from at the start which the opposition will see as a clear gameplan for them. Particularly with Reid or Thomas, he would get little cover. I can see this being tonight one of those games where if it doesn't go right first half, the crowd will get on their backs a bit. I just don't think its an ideal time to give a youngster a debut in defence.

We have an experienced full back in Mills who could easily adapt, while waiting in the wings is a right back that most thought could be our player of the year.

All he has had is one month at Brentford, where defensively they struggled.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think it was the Sheff Wed game where Thatcher got injured and Semedo went left back for the almost the entire second half. We had a midfield of Reid, Ambrose, ZZ and Thomas and proceeded to rip them apart, having been two down.

I'd be tempted to try the same, with the exception of perhaps Racon or Varney in for Ambrose. Basey is getting good reviews and has been on loan at Brentford, but didn't Aswad Thomas play more times at left back for the Reserves last season? Either would be a gamble as a starter, but perhaps worth a place on the bench.
  • Options
    Fair enough AFKA. One thing I would say though, with the people we have twho would play on the left - Reid, Thomas, Ambrose - he's never going to get much cover whenever he plays really!
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    I'd be hesitant to judge it on Semedo's Sheff Weds performance - we were all over them second half - he had virtually nothing to do in defence - but at times I did notice him drifting well out of position back into the centre (a bit like Lescott for England last week).

My natural inclination would be to go with the player who knows the position ie Basey, but appreciate AFKA's points that that could backfire. Mind you, Osei Sankofa made his debut away at Old Trafford and did fine.

If we are thinking of playing Mills and Moo2, I'd put Moo2 on the left - he's much more of an attacker than defender, so at least we wouldn't be weakening both flanks if we kept Millsy in his best position - but think I'd prefer to keep Moo2 on the bench.

Or how about Semedo on left of midfiled, giving Basey some protection, with Reidy in the middle?

My team:

Weaver
    Mills Fortune Sodje Basey
    Thomas ZZ Reid Semedo
    Big Chris Varney

Subs: Randolph, Racon, Moo2, Toddy, McLeod
  • Options
    with a squad of about 48 players, how did we get to this situation so soon into the season ??
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]with a squad of about 48 players, how did we get to this situation so soon into the season ??
    because out of those 48 players, 47 are strikers
  • Options
    the buck stops with the manager.....
    i blame curbs
  • Options
    I'm with AFKA on this one. I think tonight is a really big game after saturdays result.

I'd go with Semedo at left back and give Bassey 20 minutes if possible. Start with him against QPR.

Midfield: ZZ, Racon, Reid and Thomas.
  • Options
    is tonight our first MUST WIN game of the season or is that on saturday
  • Options
    I was wondering about Aswad Thomas too - he looks like a big lump and from what I hear he has been very useful.

Maybe whe could get the nod.

Either way one of them deserves at least an appearance tonight.
  • Options
    I did notice that Henry put J Thomas on the teamsheet for the Wolves match. I wondered why the initial, then realised it's because we also have A Thomas. Perhaps Our Henry is in the know on this one?