Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Things you never knew about Plymouth

edited October 2007 in General Charlton
1. The centre of Plymouth was very heavily bombed during World War II which is one reason why it is such an ugly, soulless place (see also Coventry although they at least have the new catherdra)

2. Plymouth Arygle fans who had moved to Scotland to work in the local dockyards set up Dunfermaline FC. This fact is remembered in the Scottish clubs nickname, The Pars, which stands for Plymouth Arygle Rosyth Supporters

3. Arygle are one of only two English league teams to play in Green. Ipswich Town are the other.

4. Arygle once finished runners up in the 3rd Division South 6 times on the trot. At the time only the Champions were promoted

5. People from Plymouth are know as Plymophobians

Comments

• Options
    People in Plymouth tend to be very poor financially and are often seen eating bits of bard from trees or gnawing on branches.

The locals discovered that Plywood was actually cheaper than many of their foodstuffs and hence the name Ply-Mouth was formed.

Plymouth was formerly known as Chestington (but thats another story)
  • Options
    "3. Arygle are one of only two English league teams to play in Green. Ipswich Town are the other."

Apart from Yeovil of course!
  • Options
    A friend of mine is one of the MPs in Plymouth
  • Options
    6. Charlton Commercial Director Steve Sutherland once appeared on a TV "job swap" programme where he worked for the Devon club for a week while his Argyle counterpart came to the Valley. Steve still follows the fortunes of Argyle and is a club member.

7. One tourist spot in Plymouth is the Hoe where Francis Drake is meant to have played bowls while the Spanish Amarda approached. Unfortunately this is not true. Drake was acatually playing Boule, a french game still played actively across France. History was re-written to avoid it seeming that a great British hero was really a Frenchie lover.
  • Options
    "Plymouth Hoe" IS a tart from Plymouth.
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    [cite]Posted By: Swisdom[/cite]"3. Arygle are one of only two English league teams to play in Green. Ipswich Town are the other."

Not all statements in a "Things you never knew" thread can be relied on a being 100% truthful, honest or genuine. All liability for loss or damage rests with the Charlton Life owners
  • Options
    it smells of wee.
    I know this because we went through plymouth on the way to Par station. The tide was out and it stunk.
  • Options
    Plymouth Arglye are the founders and only winners of the Vermouth Cup which is a 6 team event for all towns ending in 'mouth' held against Great Yarmouth Athletic FC, Weymouth Town FC, AFC Bournemouth, Sidmouth Academicals and Exmouth Town.
  • Options
    Ledge knows had his stag do there in 1984
  • Options
    The name Plymouth come from when the team had trouble with local goats who would eat the grass in the goal mouth, the only way to stop this was to put a sheet of 8x4 ply in the area to kept the goats off, hence the name Ply mouth. Fact.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2007
    Derek Ufton was once their manager with Malcolm Allison his assistant
  • Options
    We have played Plymouth more times in the league than we have Played Arsenal, Man utd or Palace.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: guinnessaddick[/cite]The name Plymouth come from when the team had trouble with local goats who would eat the grass in the goal mouth, the only way to stop this was to put a sheet of 8x4 ply in the area to kept the goats off, hence the name Ply mouth. Fact.

This is in fact wrong.

The name plymouth came before the term plywood. In fact Plywood. or 'Plymouth Layered Wood' to use the full name. Was invented by a Mr Roger Frellman of Plymouth in 1802. The patent rights were split between Mr Frellman and local glue factory owner, Frederick Hammond.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: kigelia[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: guinnessaddick[/cite]The name Plymouth come from when the team had trouble with local goats who would eat the grass in the goal mouth, the only way to stop this was to put a sheet of 8x4 ply in the area to kept the goats off, hence the name Ply mouth. Fact.

This is in fact wrong.

The name plymouth came before the term plywood. In fact Plywood. or 'Plymouth Layered Wood' to use the full name. Was invented by a Mr Roger Frellman of Plymouth in 1802. The patent rights were split between Mr Frellman and local glue factory owner, Frederick Hammond.

[cite]Posted By: Swisdom[/cite]People in Plymouth tend to be very poor financially and are often seen eating bits of bard from trees or gnawing on branches.

The locals discovered that Plywood was actually cheaper than many of their foodstuffs and hence the name Ply-Mouth was formed.

Now I'm confused or is one of you making it up. Come on, own up.
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Swisdom[/cite]People in Plymouth tend to be very poor financially and are often seen eating bits of bard from trees or gnawing on branches.

Now I'm confused or is one of you making it up. Come on, own up.[/quote]

I am telling the truth. I would have thought that the assertion that locals sat in trees eating bits of shakespeare was a bit of a giveaway.
  • Options
    From "Phrases and Facts: Where what we say comes from" by I M Bourin

"Plymouth is the birthplace of both the nanny state and road signs as it is illegal to cross the road with an open umbrella there in accordance with a 62 year old by-law. Mrs G. Templesmead brought the law about and subsequently started the use of imagery instead of words for roadsigns. Mrs Templesmead was cycling along Potter Street in the north of the town when a lady stepped into the road with an umbrella tilted towards the oncoming rain; Unfortunately this was also the direction Mrs Templesmead was heading from. The cyclist avoided a collision by hurling herself onto market stall selling offal, ripping her dress off and leaving her covered in entrails. When she confronted the careless pedestrian the latter was remorseless and a fight broke out. When split up the umbrella barer shouted "you can have your guts for garters" in reference to the sartorial state of Mrs Templesmead, the phrase became altered over time to become words of threat, but the origin is still obvious.

Mrs Templesmead took the issue to the courts and through her persistence got the aforementioned by-law in place. She designed a sign to make the law known herself and was concerned that "irresponsible and most likely illiterate" people like the woman that so upset her that day wouldn't understand the written word, so she made one with an image only that can be seen today. A quick look through the court notes points to the origin of another common phrase - Mrs Templesmead's occupation was noted down as 'nanny'."

The "put down your umbrella" sign:

22482905.jpg
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Swisdom[/cite]"3. Arygle are one of only two English league teams to play in Green. Ipswich Town are the other."

Acually Yeovil don't play in Green they play in Glover Pink.
  • Options
    Plymouth Argyle were formed after the merger of Plymouth Albion and Fingrinhoe Argyle. Fingrinhoe supporters still bemoan the fact that the team arent called Fingrinhoe Albion.
  • Options
    oh sco...

lol
  • Options
    Very funny Sco.

But sometimes you worry me.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Home Park is only 10 miles as the crow flies from the village where Oggy Red carries on a life of barely concealed debauchery.

Oggy is celebrating his 2,000 post. That represents a lot of time spent posting a lot of rubbish. :o)
  • Options
    Blimey I thought I was bored looking up towns ending in mouth.

Brilliant Sco :)
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: kigelia[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: guinnessaddick[/cite]The name Plymouth come from when the team had trouble with local goats who would eat the grass in the goal mouth, the only way to stop this was to put a sheet of 8x4 ply in the area to kept the goats off, hence the name Ply mouth. Fact.[/quote]

This is in fact wrong.

The name plymouth came before the term plywood. In fact Plywood. or 'Plymouth Layered Wood' to use the full name. Was invented by a Mr Roger Frellman of Plymouth in 1802. The patent rights were split between Mr Frellman and local glue factory owner, Frederick Hammond.[/quote]

I may have got this wrong, I do remember a team having problems with animals eating in the goal area, it mat well be Portsmouth and to get rid of the goats they laced the grass with port and hence the name ports mouth.

I am sorry to have confused anyone.