Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Reidy

edited October 2007 in General Charlton
Think he's upped his game in the past two games. Prdew said: "Andy’s been our best player in our first 10 games," said. "He’s in a good place at the minute and if we keep him fit and well I think we’ll go close.

"I look back at when we got relegated and we didn’t have him at all and I wonder if we’d have made it if we had."

I'm not sure he's been our best player, and i'm not sure we would of stayed up, but he definately looks like a player enjoying his football at the minute.

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]Think he's upped his game in the past two games. Prdew said: "Andy’s been our best player in our first 10 games," said. "He’s in a good place at the minute and if we keep him fit and well I think we’ll go close.

"I look back at when we got relegated and we didn’t have him at all and I wonder if we’d have made it if we had."

I'm not sure he's been our best player, and i'm not sure we would of stayed up, but he definately looks like a player enjoying his football at the minute.

He is certainly influential and he seems to be taking the captaincy seriously. I noticed him go to the ref and point at his wrist a couple of times when Muller was timewasting at goal kicks in the second half.
  • Options
    When I was about 15, due to family stuff, I stopped getting ferried around for my Saturday and Sunday league games and training. I was playing at a pretty high standard at the time but the location was terrible for me and it'd involve hours on buses. I left and joined my most local team which involved dropping a couple of levels in standard - I think it was my favourite season of football ever.

I'd always held my own at the higher level and been invited to schools of excellence etc but never quite had what it took to stand out - by dropping a couple of divisions I was suddenly the main man, all the play came through me, I captained the side and we won the league. I had more fun, enjoyed my football more and had more of a sense of achievement from that year than any other - on a slightly different scale I reckon Andy Reid is feeling just like that at the moment!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]

Who would you say has been our best player then? Personally i think Reid is by far our best player and one of the top 5 players in this league. Everything goes through him and without him we'd be a much poorer side.
  • Options
    Let's all hope he stays injury free for the season. Major loss if he does get hurt
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]

Who would you say has been our best player then?

wait two mins and i'll have a thread up
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]

Who would you say has been our best player then? Personally i think Reid is by far our best player and one of the top 5 players in this league. Everything goes through him and without him we'd be a much poorer side.

If we recognise that he's at the very least our main influential player, you would think other club's managers would have targeted to close him down - like Murphy was targeted and closed down a couple of seasons ago.

Or is our advantage that we have other players who can influence a game equally effectively?
  • Options
    Let's just hope that come January he hasn't been unsettled by external sources and then throws his toys out of the pram and demands a move - a la Parker/Murphy.

He doesn't seem the type to be fair, so fingers crossed.
  • Options
    I hesitate to be critical but Chris Powell is often left exposed on the left side.

Barnsley's goal on Saturday is an example. Is that down to Reidy?

The right hand side has looked far better balanced whoever has played there.

Having said that I think questions could be asked of both Sodje and Bougy re Barnsley's goal. Sodje was outmuscled and Bougy didn't react.
  • Options
    Quality player that he is, I think the problem is fitting him in the side. He isn't a winger, he has very little pace and no positional discipline. If Thomas sorts himself out he offers more down the left flank.

The difficulty is, do you drop ZZ to accomodate him in the middle or play a different formation?
  • Options
    One of my favourite moments of the game against Barnsley was when Reidy passed it brilliantly crossfield without his boot on.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2007
    4-5-1 might work.

A centre 3 of Semedo, ZZ and Reid with Thomas and Sam on the flanks.

I certainly wouldn't drop ZZ at the moment.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]4-5-1 might work.

Are you Iain Dowie in disguise ;-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]4-5-1 might work.

I quite like 4-5-1/4-3-3 but Pards seems to like 2 up front.
  • Options
    I'd actually drop Reidy for the next game. Away to Wolves will be a tough battle. It will be his third game in a week if he is featuring for Ireland. I've rather give a (hopefully) hungry Thomas a game.
  • Options
    I'd play Reid and Semedo, Thomas left and ZiZi on the right, who I'd prefer over Ambrose every day of the week. Only while Lloyd is out mind.
  • Options
    Moo2kill is an option on the right
  • Options
    We have loads of options on the right, it's the lack of options on the left that is the problem.
  • Options
    i don't think problem is the right word. We have on the books Powell, Thatcher, Gibbs, Semedo, Sankofa who could all play left back, and Reid, Thomas, Ambrose, ZZ, Racon who can all play left mid.

For a championship squad, that's a hell of a lot of options. Whether you think some of those are good enough in those positions is up for debate.
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]I hesitate to be critical but Chris Powell is often left exposed on the left side.

Barnsley's goal on Saturday is an example. Is that down to Reidy?

The right hand side has looked far better balanced whoever has played there.

Having said that I think questions could be asked of both Sodje and Bougy re Barnsley's goal. Sodje was outmuscled and Bougy didn't react.

I think you'll find that it was Mills who failed to clear it.

Personally I think we are all getting a bit too anal about the defence. I still think defences take a while to gel and also the midfield needs to learn to support the defence and, at one nil with a few minutes to go, so does the attack. Why for instance was Big Chris putting the corner flag back when he could have made a contribution in our half. As a balance to this, though keeping the ball and playing in their half will always stop goals coming as they don't have the ball. It takes a while to hone down these issues. I think the team has done bloody well, with all the changes to be 2nd after 10 games.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Barn Door Lisbie[/cite]Quality player that he is, I think the problem is fitting him in the side. He isn't a winger, he has very little pace and no positional discipline. If Thomas sorts himself out he offers more down the left flank.

The difficulty is, do you drop ZZ to accomodate him in the middle or play a different formation?[/quote]

Er, hello? We are second in the table and unbeaten in 8 league games so why change anything? Reid is probably the best footballer in this division, a real class player. Of course, he is not an up and down merchant like, say, Shaun Newton, but he is a ball player of very high class which more than makes up for his lack of defensive ability.

As for Thomas offering more down the left than Reidy, well, that is almost unbelievable. Pards made Reidy captain because he drives the team on and is an inspirational player. Thomas was dropped for being a self-obsessed twat.

No brainer for me, Reidy to stay just where he is on the left of midfield with a license to roam. Of course that exposes the left-hand side to some degree but his other attributes more than make up for that.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    When's Faye back?

;-)