Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Zheng Zhi

edited October 2007 in General Charlton
is really growing on me as a player.

He covers every blade of grass, puts a foot in and can create too as exemplified by the way he held the ball up and timed his pass to Big Chris on Tuesday night.

So who gets the credit for us getting him?

Curbs, Dowie, Les Reed or, whisper it softly, Mills?

Pards obviously gets credit for bringing him back but who found him?

Comments

• Options
    It was Les wasn't it?

I totally agree with you. It was noticable on Tuesday, as it was against Colchester, that he plays deeper in the first half and, presumably that is tactical. Actually I thought he was a bit sloppy on Tuesday in the first half, gave the ball away a few times and lost a tackle or two. In the second though he was superb. His energy going forward, his technical ability, and his springing jumps were really telling. He is a great foil for Reidy who's passing in the second half was just so classy.
  • Options
    If it was Les it demonstrates why he deserved a shot at the manager's job.

We all know it didn't work but he can certainly spot a player and his COACHING (as opposed to managing) record speaks for itself.
  • Options
    Les lined it up, but no doubt it was purely led by ZZ's agent touting him around.

He is with us this season purely for the reason that he wouldn't of got a work permit at any other English club. That i'm grateful for.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]Les lined it up, but no doubt it was purely led by ZZ's agent touting him around.

He is with us this season purely for the reason that he wouldn't of got a work permit at any other English club. That i'm grateful for.

Why could he only get a permit with us AFKA? He is captain of China, doesn't that count for anything.
  • Options
    I understand not, someone may correct me tomorrow. But as i understand it, if ZZ was to stay in England this season, it would of been only with us.
  • Options
    Fair enough - maybe his registration was still retained by us and he hadn't played enough international games to re apply with another club. Anyway I'm glad he came back/stayed he's a real asset.
  • Options
    Version I heard was that on the pre-season tour of China a few years back a number of good connections were made and through them we were contacted about taking ZZ on loan. The first time I heard it mentioned was by Dowie. Mills may well have done the running around as that was his job. Yes honest it was cos he didn't pick the players.

Reed got him over on trial but left before he could play. The deal had already been arranged when Pardew came.

To get an automatic work permit to play in the UK non EU players need to be regular internationals for teams in the top 75 of the FIFA rankings which when he first came to us China were.

However they had a poor Asian cup and dropped out of the top 75 meaning that other English clubs would have had to appeal to get a work permit. Charlton didn't have to as we already had one. Work permits are issued for a particular job so any non-Eu player moving clubs has to re-apply.

Great player, liking him more and more and I think there is so much more to come. Great technical skills and vision and just need the goals to start on a regualr basis.
  • Options
    wey hey .... aren't regulations great :-)
  • Options
    looks like I'm the only one but I've been disappointed in him. Tuesday, for our second goal, was the only time I remember him breaking forward into the box. With Semedo in the holding role ZZ should be getting forward more and creating chances.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Salad[/cite]wey hey .... aren't regulations great :-)

Well it seems that this is the only one that might have worked in our favour for some time! Ask Lloyd Sam if they're great! (Its alright i did sense the sarcasm)!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2007
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]looks like I'm the only one but I've been disappointed in him. Tuesday, for our second goal, was the only time I remember him breaking forward into the box. With Semedo in the holding role ZZ should be getting forward more and creating chances.

I thought that earlier in the season but watching him closely I think he's been asked to play a more holding role to allow Reid and Sam to get forward. Hence the fewer goal chances. Watch him during a game and see how much space he finds and how well he uses the ball plus the work he does closing down the other team.

What impressed me is that he is a big star but seems happy to play a less glamourous role for the sake of the team.
  • Options
    Sorry large but you must have been on the juice Tuesday as along with Reid in the second half he was different gravy.
  • Options
    ZZ is class anyone who thinks otherwise is not watching the game properly, his ball retention is better than any other player out there, as Henry says always finds space & is available for a pass. In fact watching our midfield this season it seems like we have an extra man in there but all it is is the superior movement & quality of our midfield.
  • Options
    Seems ages ago now but when he came on against Sheff Wed when we were 2-0 down he totally controlled the midfield helping us push forward and create. I remember thinking how embarrassingly easy he made everything look whereas alongside him Ambrose seemed to struggle with the basics.
  • Options
    I dont think either he nor Pardew got the credit they deserved on Tuesday. It was a ballsy move by the manager at Half Time when we were down to ten men to move ZZ to a more attacking role by playing ZZ just behind the front two with Varney moving slightly wider. After that we controlled the game, ZZ was awesomwe and another three points in the bag.
  • Options
    Check out the Clubs website. Reidy is top midfielder, and ZZ is eighth in the Division. I think the best is yet to come from him.
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]looks like I'm the only one but I've been disappointed in him. Tuesday, for our second goal, was the only time I remember him breaking forward into the box. With Semedo in the holding role ZZ should be getting forward more and creating chances.

there'll always be one

If it wasn't you it would have been Northstandsteve but he said he was different gravy
  • Options
    Ledge credit where credit is due if a player performs he gets it semedo has been superb over last 3 games and long may it continue,i hope IDOL THE CLOWN proves me wrong I truly do.But I won't watch Charlton through rose tinted glasses.
  • Options
    I thought ZZ had another good game. Got on the end of some crosses and hand one good long range shot. Putting aside the goal I thought he did very well against a good Barnsley midfield and kept trying to move us forward.