Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

If you were a soldier

wouldn't you want John Terry to be fighting along side you? He is one gutsy bloke. I know he can dish it out sometimes but I really admire his bravery playing in a protective mask tonight after surgery on a depressed fracture.

Comments

• terry buthcher leading the charge
  • With killer up there for sure
  • never really thought killer liked charlton much,come around in the last few yearsjust a feeling
  • John Terry has a lot of making up to do, if you ask me.
  • [cite]Posted By: nolly[/cite]never really thought killer liked charlton much,come around in the last few yearsjust a feeling

yeah,i've heard a couple of things that taint my memories of him.
  • since John Terry got the england captaincy he;s turned into a wanker on the field - I mean trying to take the red card out of the hand of the referee is arrogance of the highest order - BUT - take your point he played well tonight
  • one regarding shitting himself among millwall,playing best freinds with em,that the one you heard threadkiller?
  • Tony Adams for me.
  • Stuart Pearce. End of discussion!!!

Having said that Mick Harford was supposed to be a lunatic.
  • If I was a soldier I would not want that thick twat anywhere near me.

Paul Gascoigne wore one of those poxy masks and I very much doubt people share the 'I'd stand shoulder to shoulder with him' opinion of Terry with Gascoigne.

He displays much of the characteristics of your modern day REME 'soldier' though.

Looks the part, shags anything in a skirt, loves a beer and is thouroughly obnoxious after drinking more than one can handle and thinks the world revolves around him.
  • Sponsored links:

• Seriously I think I'd have Jackie Charlton before any of todays pansies.
  • chopper harris anybody?
  • [cite]Posted By: DJ Davey Dave[/cite]Seriously I think I'd have Jackie Charlton before any of todays pansies.

Very astute. Very different character to the so called hard men of today.
  • [cite]Posted By: Carter[/cite]If I was a soldier I would not want that thick twat anywhere near me.

Paul Gascoigne wore one of those poxy masks and I very much doubt people share the 'I'd stand shoulder to shoulder with him' opinion of Terry with Gascoigne.

He displays much of the characteristics of your modern day REME 'soldier' though.

Looks the part, shags anything in a skirt, loves a beer and is thouroughly obnoxious after drinking more than one can handle and thinks the world revolves around him.

Terry is also playing with a broken toe. Last season he had a back injury and returned to the fray very quickly.

I don't particularly like Terry as a person but respect his warrior qualities. By their very nature the best soldiers are going to be fairly obnoxious. If I had to fight along side one, I'd rather they showed their obnoxious side to the enemy and believe that they are invincible and can take out the machine gun emplacement single handed rather me having to do it.
  • One player I'd want in the trenches with me from today's game is Carles Puyol. Absolute f***ing animal, but as loyal as you could want - reportedly laughed when Madrid were ready to pay ridiculous money for him in their (still ongoing haha) search to replace Fernando Hierro and said something which roughly translates as 'I'll never play for that scum'. Slightly more believable coming from him than that Judas p**** Figo.

From our recent past, the only ones who spring to mind are Sweaty Balmer and Eddie Youds. Balmer cos he was clearly double hard and Youds cos he proper looked like a squaddie - I'd never have fronted him.
  • [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Carter[/cite]If I was a soldier I would not want that thick twat anywhere near me.

Terry is also playing with a broken toe. Last season he had a back injury and returned to the fray very quickly.

I don't particularly like Terry as a person but respect his warrior qualities. By their very nature the best soldiers are going to be fairly obnoxious. If I had to fight along side one, I'd rather they showed their obnoxious side to the enemy and believe that they are invincible and can take out the machine gun emplacement single handed rather me having to do it.
    Not a bad idea - I think I'd like Terry in a trench with me if I thought I could hide behind the thick, useless toss as I approached a machine gun emplacement. Honestly - Terry is an a***hole - I've heard plenty of things about him from people who knew him years ago before he was England's Defensive Saviour (tm) - believe me, if even half of them are true this is NOT a man you would want on your side or backing you up in a scrap.
  • Sorry but IMHO a bit disrespectful to our soldiers fighting in Iraq and Afganistan to compare the risks and hardships they have to go through to playing a game of football.

Say "lighten up, it was only a joke, figure of speech" etc etc all you like but one is a game and the other is literally life and death.

Also Terry might not be the best person to work alongside our American Allies, certainly not in the diplomatic corps.
  • Henry, I think that is what I was trying to get at but you said it much, much better.

To compare one to the other is ridiculous.

Well said.

You won't catch me doing that again ;-)
  • Wouldn't mind having Eddie Youds next to me in the trenches - with Simon Webster standing the other side and Steve Thompson leading the charge!
  • [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]Wouldn't mind having Eddie Youds next to me in the trenches

so you could have a drinking competition?
  • Sponsored links:

• edited October 2007
    LOL. If I wanted a drinking competition I'd get Ralph Milne in!
  • Or apparently, Bob "the Beast" Bolder........

;o)
  • Henry, I was comparing his battling character, not the fact that he is a overpaid, prima donna premier league footballer. It wasn' t meant to be disrespectful to "our boys".

It's just that most young people these days of Terry's age are not fighting a war. Go back to the Great War, or the Second WW, most on here would have been enlisted and fighting for king and country. I was just thinking that he was that kind of type who would be the one charging the defences, thats all.
  • I still think it like comparing apples with pears B, it's one thing going in for a meaty tackle but quiet another to go on a patrol with a live weapon. Least of all charge enemey lines.

I know he's a leader but no matter how it is put I couldn't compare any premier league footballer to a Estonian soldier, let alone a British one.