Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Car Trouble - Any ideas?

edited September 2007 in Not Sports Related
I'm borrowing my parents car this week to get to work, and this morning its making a funny noise.
I drove last night to the pub and home again, and thought i heard a noise, but wasn't too sure, this morning i drove with the radio off to have a listen. it sounds like there is a wire hanger or something stuck underneath and I'm dragging it along, but i can't see anything.
I don't think it is the catalytic converter thats shattered and rattling because that happened before in an old car, so know what that sounds like. boss suggested it could be a loose exhaust? but the car is 18 months old, is that likely?

Any grease monkeys have any other ideas? this kinda buggers up the plan to drive to colchester, so might have to go in brother sausage'smobile :-(

Comments

• Options
    I had a funny noise like that last year.Funnily enough, it turned out to be the brakes pads ( it was making the noise even when I wasn't braking)
  • Options
    could be the brake pads are gone and there's metal scraping against metal?

could be there's no oil in the engine and its going to seize up!!!
  • Options
    how many miles has it done?
  • Options
    Suzi thinks its the 710 cap. ;-)
  • Options
    Can be very difficult to track down noises on cars. Could be a loose baffle in the exhaust (although unlikely in an 18 month old car) Have you looked underneath, it may just be that you've got something caught up.

What sort of hub caps does it have? Sometimes the inner grease cap can fall off and rattle around inside the hub cap.

A word of caution though, you shouldn't really drive it until you get it sorted out.
  • Options
    Should any women drive? ;-)
  • Options
    Check you did not have a bit of skirt caught in the car door and it was dragging catching various items along the way ;-)
  • Options
    could check the oil, and also the milage.

not that much tho i'm sure cos its not used all that much. it doesn't do it when i'm breaking. OK, i'm a girl, so its got alloy wheels, dunno about an inner grease cap. but it doesn't sound like a rattling. its bizarre.

can't look underneath as wearing a suit, and it wouldn't take too kindly to getting under there.

will drive home tonight then not use after then.
  • Options
    there's not a half dead cyclist stuck underneath is there???
  • Options
    Where is Rothko?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I don't drive a truck, so would have noticed that one.
  • Options
    Where is Les Says ?
  • Options
    he doesn't know how to drive!
  • Options
    and no, i did'nt run him over either!
  • Options
    get a new one
  • Options
    When the engine is running, get in a position whereby you can see the chassis (the underneath) of the vehicle. This is to check for suspicious dangling things (clamps, clips, exhaust parts or even parts od chassis) If you see anything then you have probably found your noise source.

If it is the brakes you will need to go to a garage and flutter your eyes at them and ask them to have a look at the front brakes on their ramp as the calipers could be seizing which believe me you don't want to happen. Other than that, without hearing the noise or looking myself I can't offere too much help.
  • Options
    Thanks everyone, except carling!

I'm gonna check the dipstick at lunchtime.
  • Options
    Got AA/RAC? Call them out... or is that too obvious?!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: suzisausage[/cite]I'm gonna check the dipstick at lunchtime.

I'm sure Medders is fine
  • Options
    Yeah, havent heard from les in a while, let us know how he is.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Medders[/cite]Got AA/RAC? Call them out... or is that too obvious?!

the car still works so no need. plus, the rac they have covers the people not the car, and since i moved out, they never renewed my cover.
    I'm tempted to just park it back at the folks and pretend I never heard anything, but I'm doing the right thing!!! they're back tmrw night. I'm being a good daughter.
  • Options
    have you put petrol in it? and are all the wheels round? ;o)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]

HAHA. I'll tell him you said that. he'll give you a kick on saturday.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Al the Addick[/cite]have you put petrol in it? and are all the wheels round? ;o)

Isn't there some DIY you should be getting on with? did you put the bins out?

JEEZ!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: suzisausage[/cite]

HAHA. I'll tell him you said that. he'll give you a kick on saturday.

And so will I, once he's dropped me back from Colchester...
  • Options

LMAO
  • Options
    sounds like your parents dont use their car a lot if they're letting you have it for the week...could be that its built up a bit of rust and dirt from sitting around and just poodling a couple of miles to the shops every now and then and just needs a bit of usage...because of where i live, mine doesn't do a lot of mileage and when i come back off holiday the first day or two feels/sounds like i'm pulling something along...if that's all it is, the noise should have gone by saturday and a run to colchester and back will do it some good...
  • Options
    naah, they've in barcalona on hols, and i picked the car up sunday and they used it that very same day, noise only started last night and i've been using the car every day this week to do handy things you do when you have access to a car!
    They have 2 cars, dad drives to work in whichever one he feels like and mum uses the other one. they both get a run out at least once a day, and also at weekends as dad golfs and mum does mum things. thanks for the suggestion tho!
  • Options

i'm gonna piss on your car at colchester.
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Don't do a 'CharltonDan' mate. Be careful