Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Second interviews

edited September 2007 in Not Sports Related
Any advice on how to handle these, cause I take it when you get to this stage it's a straight head to head with someone else who wants the post?

Comments

• Options
    not neccesarily, it might be that you are the only one but they cant make there minds up and want others to meet you, or you could be one of 50 who made it to stage 2, you just cant tell. but if you got to stage 2 they like you so you have made a good impression. It would be at stage 2 that you may be asked more technical questions about your profession so they are clear on your skill levels.
  • Options
    RIng them up before hand and ask

Who's going to be interviewing you? Is it different people from last time and what do they do? This will give you a better idea. If it is the MD/CEO then it's a chance to impress and she most likely just wants to have a look and a quick chat to confirm what she's been said, if it's the team you are going to be woring with it's them checking you over to see if you'll fit in. Let's hope they are all opinionated lefties then : - )

What's the format for the interview? Any tests or assessment centres. Not much you can do if there are but good to know. Best thing is be yourself, don't try and act out of charecter but find out what the competencies they are assessing you against. You can them make sure you demonstrate these behaviours.

What the job BTW. Is it the one you mentioned north of the river essex way?
  • Options
    Agree with SD - it's difficult to know how many are in the frame (unless you know someone on the inside) but it doesn't do any harm to ask towards the end when they give it "any questions?". They normally ask you if you have any other irons in the fire and therefore it's only right for you to enquire where they are in their interview process and whether they have other candidates to see.

In my line of work the first interview is normally the one where they try and suss out what you know and the second is more where they like to find out a bit more about you personally - "team fit" and all that.

As with any interview, the trick is to try and second guess what they are likely to ask and think about how you would answer it and how you would want it to be answered if you were the employer. That way you can quite often steer the conversation down the road you want it to go, although they will usually try to throw you a googly or two just to see how you cope.

Good luck!
  • Options
    Its difficult to say mate as its not that generic.

My experience is that they'll bring say 6 people in for 1st stage and then whomever they think is suitable for the 2nd stage.

That could be 1 (you) or all 6.

As Henry says. Call and ask. They'll want you to be prepared so should be happy to give you as much info a possible
  • Options
    the interview is a 5 minute presentation which there emailing me about, and 25 minutes of chat, tomorrow at 5 pm.

It's at the Guildhall, so that should tell you who it's with
  • Options
    Cheers gents, there sending me all the info over at the moment, which is nice
  • Options
    Good Luck Rothko!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]

Are you going to be Melvin Hayes' make up artist?

?[
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]the interview is a 5 minute presentation which there emailing me about, and 25 minutes of chat, tomorrow at 5 pm.

Try and avoid Powerpoint or at least there pre-formatted presentations. Everyone's seen them.

So you are going to be THE City Addick
  • Options
    The City is it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]the interview is a 5 minute presentation which there emailing me about

Little tip for your presentation. Make sure you don't get your "there", "their" and "they're" 's mixed up!
    ;o)
  • Options
    especially if they're there with their work colleagues to assess you.
  • Options
    All the advice already given is very good
    After many years of interviewing staff my advice is;
    Be yourself - if you try and be someone else and you get the job then it isn't you they've employed
    If some of the people on the panel are not professional interviewers then they might be more nervous than you.
    Finally remember that you are also interviewing then about the vacancy.

Good luck
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    IT is even worse - last year I had FOUR interviews plus a medical for a job I went for. I got it as well, but turned it down because, as luck would have it, the last interview was with the IT director, who was a complete canute - I had second thoughts as soon as I met him and, in the 45 minutes I was speaking to him he managed to make me walk out of the interview feeling that I'd rather poke my own eyes out than work for him, so sometimes the lengthy interviewing/acceptance process can work in your favour as well.

Not sure what its like in the 'real world', but in IT you usually have a phone interview to see whether or not you're a complete bullshitter, then a face to face with the immediate manager, another techie and an HR bod, and maybe a final 'strategic' interview with the top brass. I think most times you have a second interview it will be because you've impressed them enough to make the 'final list'. All the other advice on here is excellent - especially the bit about ringing to check the lie of the land - if they've already seen you and want to see you again, then its a pretty safe bet they won't be annoyed at a direct approach from you, so it might be a good idea to find out from them the kind of thing they want to talk to you about.
  • Options
    Rothko, fire up the Mac and run a Keynote presentation Jobs-stylee. That'll put you head and shoulders in front of the pack ;-)
  • Options
    Oi. What's this doing in the General Charlton category? I thought you meant you had a second interview with Reg and Minty...

Good luck anyway, Rothko.
  • Options
    Good luck Rothko!
  • Options
    Good catch there Weeg, and good luck Rothko.
  • Options
    Yup- Good luch Rothko.
  • Options
    When I had a Second Interview at the Bank of England I was one of six they had narrowed it down to. If I was you mate don't worry about who you are up against, it's all about you mate.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]When I had a Second Interview at the Bank of England I was one of six they had narrowed it down to.

Are you the fella that polishes the door knobs?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]When I had a Second Interview at the Bank of England I was one of six they had narrowed it down to.

Are you the fella that polishes the door knobs?

Na it was to be AFKA's PA
  • Options
    Cheers for all the advice, went well yesterday, presentation went down well, and I got introduced to the team, and the manager said 'Hopefully see you soon' at the end.

Might have a chance I think
  • Options
    fingers crossed.
  • Options
    good luck!
  • Options
    yeah good luck mate, hope you get it, might be able to get a proper mode of transport with a better wage eh?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]yeah good luck mate, hope you get it, might be able to get a proper mode of transport with a better wage eh?

I dunno, think a bike beats the 6.49 from Medwayville anyday.
  • Options
    i live in dartford so its the 7.34 from pikeyville actually
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]i live in dartford so its the 7.34 from pikeyville actually

Quite
  • Options
    You cheeky Sods Medwayville.... LOL