Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Graham Tutt

edited September 2007 in General Charlton
Now a commisioner for an indoor soccer league.

http://www.internationalindoorsoccer.net/page7.html

Comments

• Good to hear he is doing well

Good keeper shame what happened
  • Graham Tutt - or 'Buster' as he was known in those days, was a local lad.

It was dreadful what happened to him as a 19 year old - and from a completely unnecessary and dangerous challenge from Sunderland's Tom Finney.

We now will never how his career could have progressed - maybe playing for one of the big clubs, European competition and England caps. But it was all before the big money in football and he would now be long retired from playing.

It's funny how things work out though.
    Without his injury, he probably would never have carved out a hugely successful career in the States.
  • [cite]Posted By: leftbehind[/cite]Good to hear he is doing well

Good keeper shame what happened

Eye injury.
  • bet he didnt see that coming
  • Strange how things turn out.

Had he not been injured it is quite possible that legends like Nicky Johns and even Bob Bolder would never have played for the club.

Not forgetting the underrated Jeff Wood who came from non league football (?Harlow Town in the old Athenian league) straight into our first team following Tutt's tragic injury.
  • At least sunderland came back and played A TESTIMONIAL for graham tutt, he was a very good keeper who suffered a fractured nose,damaged cheekbone and cuts above and below his eye, a real shame.
  • Didn't he make a claim for his injury under the PFA scheme which precluded him from returning to play in the Football League? I remember him breaking into the side in the promotion season in 1974/5. He could have broken all 'keeping records for us given he was only 19 when struck down with the injury. Clearly he was able to carry on playing successfully which makes it all the more of a shame that he didn't manage to recover sufficiently before finishing his Football League career. Thanks for sharing that Henry.
  • He actually suffered blurred and double vision after it for some time, and could not return to playing I know he spent some time in South Africa and played some football out there but was never the same player.
    A mate of mine was on his testimonial comittee, and on the night a goalkeepers eleven turned out against a Charlton old boys side who if I remember rightly had Malcolm McDonald guesting for them.
    Some time after the incident Tom Finney played a reserve game at the valley and was kicked off the pitch by a team which was said to have featured Harry Cripps for the occassion.
  • I saw that reserve match - Finney was playing for Cambridge by then. Charlton put out a team of remaining players from a few seasons before and they took it in turn to really get stuck into Finney - tackles from behind, knee in the back, flailing elbows - and the referee turned a blind eye. Finney was really battered and never came out for the 2nd half.
  • Sponsored links:

• Finney played for Cambridge at The Valley 6/march/1979 2-3,Finney played whole match seem to remember he was booed each time he touched the ball.
  • edited October 2020
  • Went to Cambridge when Finney played and was taking their corners, as most know who have been the away end isn't very large and you are close to the play...He got pelted every time he took a corner.
  • Shamed to say I got a particularly well aimed gob straight onto the back of his leg.
  • He actually suffered blurred and double vision after it for some time, and could not return to playing I know he spent some time in South Africa and played some football out there but was never the same player.
    A mate of mine was on his testimonial comittee, and on the night a goalkeepers eleven turned out against a Charlton old boys side who if I remember rightly had Malcolm McDonald guesting for them.
    Some time after the incident Tom Finney played a reserve game at the valley and was kicked off the pitch by a team which was said to have featured Harry Cripps for the occassion.
    I'm sure I heard a story that the manager asked if there were any volunteers from he first team that wanted to play in that game and Hales volunteered to play in midfield. 

Come to think of it, I think it was Hales who told the story at one of those "evening with ...." events.
  • Oggy Red said:
    I saw that reserve match - Finney was playing for Cambridge by then. Charlton put out a team of remaining players from a few seasons before and they took it in turn to really get stuck into Finney - tackles from behind, knee in the back, flailing elbows - and the referee turned a blind eye. Finney was really battered and never came out for the 2nd half.
    Didn’t we play Hales for this game ?
  • Graham Tutt was similar to Nick Pope.
    He was ahead of Nick at the same age.
    What might have been if not for the bellend Finney ?

Tom Finney shared a name with an English football legend. Chalk and cheese in their Careers.
  • edited October 2020
    I think anyone who saw Graham Tutt play felt he was destined for a career right at the very top. Desperately sad that his career was curtailed in the way it was - if I remember correctly, Killer took over in goal and conceded four.
    When he played at The Valley, Finney was crucified by the crowd for what he had done.
    Just another random recollection, there was another player, Vic Groves if I remember correctly who also used to get constantly barracked when he played at The Valley, because he was a decent player, but just a bit flash. Sadly, I seem to remember he passed away whilst still very young. 
  • Sponsored links:

• I think anyone who saw Graham Tutt play felt he was destined for a career right at the very top. Desperately sad that his career was curtailed in the way it was - if I remember correctly, Killer took over in goal and conceded four.
    When he played at The Valley, Finney was crucified by the crowd for what he had done.
    Just another random recollection, there was another player, Vic Groves if I remember correctly who also used to get constantly barracked when he played at The Valley, because he was a decent player, but just a bit flash. Sadly, I seem to remember he passed away whilst still very young. 
    It depends on how you define "very young".  He died, aged 82, more than fifty years after his last game for Arsenal and 23 years after his nephew, Perry, played his last game for them. 
  • edited October 2020
    Mea culpa, it was Alan Groves who played for Shrewsbury, Bournemouth, Blackpool and Oldham. He died in 1978 aged 29.
  • I'm sure they weren't related as Tom Finney of Preston was English obviously and Thomas or Tommy Finney was from Northern Ireland.

• Mea culpa, it was Alan Groves who played for Shrewsbury, Bournemouth, Blackpool and Oldham. He died in 1978 aged 29.
    Great winger for Oldham, thick curly hair, always gave our Paddy a run for his money as the best winger in the Division.
    Ironically he died suddenly of a heart attack whilst watching the World Cup on TV.
  • I'm sure that the game was shown on the TV, either the big match or match of the day.
  • I'm sure that the game was shown on the TV, either the big match or match of the day.
    MOTD.

• Seen that photo before. Poor sod,if that had been in todays game he'd have been in a neck brace and on oxygen. I sincerely hope that Finneys 'challenge' was more clumsy than malicious because otherwise that would be classed as assault today.
  • edited October 2020
    Graham used to come and coach our Sunday pub side “ vanbrugh park” on a tuesday evening. Really nice bloke  
  • I played for VPFC based out of the Dutch House. Did a big testimonial for Tutty. 15 mile run, Dart match and a disco. PM me who you are.