Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Pavarotti - RIP

WSSWSS
edited September 2007 in Not Sports Related
Italia 1990 was when my enthusiasm for football really took off and his performance of Nessa Dorma (sp.) will always stick with me i think.

RIP.

Comments

• Options
    We went to Italia 90 on honeymoon so it is very special for me.
    RIP, big man.
  • Options
    Rest in peace legend
  • Options
    the guy was a phenomenon.

had a voice that made the hair on your neck stand on end.

RIP big guy.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]Italia 1990 was when my enthusiasm for football really took off and his performance of Nessa Dorma (sp.) will always stick with me i think.

RIP.

They've just played that on Sky News...

Sad news. Didn't realise he was as old as 71 though
  • Options
    I hope there will be a minutes silence or alternatively playing of Nessun Dorma at all this weekends Euro fixtures. A great loss.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Imissthepeanutman[/cite]I hope there will be a minutes silence or alternatively playing of Nessun Dorma at all this weekends Euro fixtures. A great loss.
    Would be a great touch
  • Options
    He was good but he was no Eric Clapton!! RIP!
  • Options
    R.I.P
  • Options
    Don't forget his turn on Miss Sarajevo by Passengers (aka U2). I was playing this while driving to work this morning in memory of him. RIP big man!
  • Options
    A true musical genius!

Despite his popularity in the "popular" music world, at the top of his game, even the "purists" couldn't disagree that he was simply the best operatic tenor ever.

RIP
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Imissthepeanutman[/cite]I hope there will be a minutes silence or alternatively playing of Nessun Dorma at all this weekends Euro fixtures. A great loss.
    Would be a great touch

Seconded!!!
  • Options
    RIP
  • Options
    My thoughts are with his family...
  • Options
    My thoughts are with his pall bearers
  • Options
    LOL!
  • Options
    i've got a ticket for his funeral.

Cost me a tenner.
  • Options
    I believe the Funeral is all standing (bar one) and that all tickets went by lunchtime to Pavarotti Gold members who turned up to collect them in Modena. This is in poor taste but after all he was a real footy fan.
  • Options
    Being touted as the greatest tenor in the world,however the greatest tenor in the world was the one i took off my palace supporting customer on saturday.
  • Options
    Awesome voice. A few years before Italia 2000, I remember hearing an opera song being played on the car radio. I hadn't heard it before and I didn't know who Pavarroti was but the song was Nessan Dorma. It was such a towering song by an incredible singing voice. I went out immediately and bought a CD with it on. Amazing. R I P.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]Awesome voice. A few years before Italia 2000, I remember hearing an opera song being played on the car radio. I hadn't heard it before and I didn't know who Pavarroti was but the song was Nessan Dorma. It was such a towering song by an incredible singing voice. I went out immediately and bought a CD with it on. Amazing. R I P.

That would be Turandot.

Nessun Dorma ends with the words "vincerro" meaning I will win, a great aria and the perfect sentiment for football and the Italia world cup. That WC began with Barney and Barnesy doing World in Motion and ended with Italian opera.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited September 2007
    Indeed I subsequently discovered that Nessan Dorma was about the only decent aria from Turandot!!!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: DaveMehmet[/cite]My thoughts are with his pall bearers

I think I counted ten pall bearers!
  • Options
    Strange how in the "Songs that make your hairs on your neck stand on end" thread no one mentioned Nessan Dorma. Well not that I remember however I can safely say that when they played it at Wembley yesterday and again hearing it on the radio today it did just that!
  • Options
    Dunno what all of the fuss is about - he only had one hit record in his career and that was a cover version.