Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

NEW ARTICLE: Sometimes you have to take the rough with the smooth

http://www.charltonlife.com/blog/?p=48

Comments

• well said young man!
  • i'm more happy with the young man bit than the well said !
  • Very good article.

We are a unique club, and if it were a Spurs or West Ham Ive no doubt the manager would be very worried.

I think Dowie will be fine for now and needs to be supported at least until December when we have a clearer picture of where we are heading.
  • top article, see comments on the page.

AFKA, LO, have you thought about getting listed on Newsnow?? i think loads of Charlton fans go on there to look for news, could be decent exposure.
  • i agree with what Southend says.
  • AFKA

Top article and very well written. You have expressed my sentiments very well. As one of my colleagues said (unfortunately he is a Red Scouser), "girlfriends come and go, but football springs eternal".

Whether you love Dowie or hate him, think Kish/Reid/whoever is fantastic or total crap, the reality is that Charlton Athletic Football Club need our support and we have a duty and obligation to support them. Like many others, I will still be in the Covered End long after Dowie and this collection of players have made their fortunes and upped sticks. But in the meantime - and win or lose, staying up or going down - I will get behind them. Come on you Reds
  • good article,but i think we need to remember that the post 1992 fans are in the majority and that without them we would not be where we are now.we were getting 3500 crowds in the dark days at the valley.were the rules different for the "real" fans then?
  • were the rules different for the "real" fans then?

Then we were a bumbling along under-resourced team in a ground that had seen better days. Decent players like Paul Walsh, Paul Elliot were sold as soon as they could fetch a decent transfer fee. Half the ground was condemned and so on. Frankly there wasn't much to get excited about, Charlton were drifting along without any sense of genuine ambition.
  • exactly,3500 were in it to the death.
  • My reading of the article is a general call by AFKA to "get behind the team". I don't think AFKA was making any negative point about people who started supporting the Club after 1992. None of us want to go back to the early 80's ...
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite] WestStandSinger:[/cite]top article, see comments on the page.

AFKA, LO, have you thought about getting listed on Newsnow?? i think loads of Charlton fans go on there to look for news, could be decent exposure.

Yeah, we have the all clear from them, but I haven't got around to putting their link up etc, which needs to be done before they carry our stuff. My bad, as they say. I'll add it to the list and get it working asap.
    [cite]PeakeysRocket[/cite]i think we need to remember that the post 1992 fans are in the majority and that without them we would not be where we are now

Don't think AFKA was having a go at the new fans, more trying to impress on ALL supporters that this is the time we need to be in unity for the Club, throwing our full weight behind them, whatever our perceived differences. A real battle could be what the Club need to re-invigorate the supporter's base and baptise those new to the Club by fire, so to speak. Dangerous game to play (not that anyone's intentionally playing it I know), but we could look at this as an opportunity for supporters to build on the unity.
  • agree with lookout, and as said, certainly wasn't a dig at the post 1992 fans.

If you look again at the article it has attracted a fair bit of comment, fortunately most has been positive.
  • Copied this comment out of the blog, from The Price e-paul:

as another Sheffield Addick, i remember the very dark B.C days (Before Curbishly) living in Sheffield as a kid and having all the wednesdayites spouting on about a having a world cup ground and being a big club with big crouds, i chose to wear my Charlton shirt with pride. it was a dream of mine to see the addicks in the top flight. my dad used to tell me stories on the way to matches about watching them at the valley in the top flight during fifties with Sam in goal. but what followed was a long time when nothing big happened for decades.

well this post is so true about not forgetting where we have come from, but lets also remember where a lot of so called bigger clubs, leeds, wednesday, sunderland, birmingham, forest are today. we have no right to be in the premier league based on our club size and resources etc, but were are here so lets all still remember that and work towards keeping it that way.

i remember growing up my dad said that charlton were aiming to emulate QPR. times change in football, players, managers, even grounds, come and go, but a Charlton Athletic fan will always be so.