Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Thomas being swapped for Earnshaw?

edited August 2007 in General Charlton
Just heard a rumour that this is happening from a reliable source any one else heard this?

Comments

• i'm really not sure how i would feel by this.

Thomas was like two different players in the Sheff Weds game but i really do think that we need to keep him more than we need Earnshaw.

That being said Earnie has scored consistently at this level so may be that 20goals a season player that i don;t think we currently possess and need.

Difficult choice IF true
  • Interesting if true. ZZ can play that left side fine so wouldn't be such a lost than it would of pre-ZZ.

Still think JT is worth keeping though, but i would be keen to get Earnshaw.
  • I feel the same WSS. Surely we have enough power up front and really do need a wide man....Sam and Thomas on either side putting the ball into Big Chris...just cries out GOALS.
  • Not sure about Earnie. Has scored goals but his sides don't seem to have had much success. And Like Marcus he's moved around a lot.

I'd prefer to keep Thomas and if we do need a new striker - which I'm not sure we do with Varney coming back - then maybe a big man as cover/competition for Big Chris.

I'm not writing off Mcleod yet. People are saying he was poor but I heard the same about Toddy and Ilwelumo and they are now doing well. Time will tell.
  • We should keep Thomas. He gives us that something extra.
  • I would rather have Thomas than Earnshaw.

ZZ has to play in the middle for me, Reid left, Thomas right.
  • I would keep Thomas.It's a chicken and egg situation really. Is it better to have a goal scorer or creator?

Obviously you need both but i feel we are lighter on those who can create then those who will put the chances away. So I would say no to a swap deal.
  • [cite]Posted By: kigelia[/cite]I would keep Thomas.It's a chicken and egg situation really. Is it better to have a goal scorer or creator?

Obviously you need both but i feel we are lighter on those who can create then those who will put the chances away. So I would say no to a swap deal.
    I'd rather have a chicken as it has legs and can run, the egg would be too injury prone and just roll about all game
  • TT
    edited August 2007
    It doesn't make sense for Derby, they want to raise funds for Nugent a straight swap with Earnshaw isn't going to help them there... as much as they want Thomas would they swap their main striker for him?

We only need another striker if we lose one of ours, yet we really only have 4 wide options. It doesn't make sense to either party IMHO *reads thread on Bent going*

I'd like Earnshaw and keep Thomas, although Pardew saying his squad is strong enough in certain areas suggests that it's not happening?
  • "the egg would be too injury prone and just roll about all game "

Is this a dig about Reid again?!
  • Sponsored links:

• [quote][cite]Posted By: T[/cite]"the egg would be too injury prone and just roll about all game "

Is this a dig about Reid again?![/quote]

I reckon it's a yolk
  • Eggzactly
  • There may be some (webbed) legs in this if there is truth that Giles Barnes is going to Wham...
  • Surely it all depends on Varney's fitness (not Reg the other one).

If Varney is going to be fit in the next 4 weeks surely the current squad can manage as they have proved so far when in attack mode.

If Varney is a long term injury then we might need a striker - so why not Earnie, as other say he does score goals at this level.

However our strikers can't score if the midfield doesn't provide and JT is one of our main providers, the only other real "wingers" are Sam and the Danish lad, ZZ, Reid & Ambrose are no substitute for Thomas although they can provide from more central areas.

So on balance I say keep JT and forget Earnie.
  • Keep JT. If we can get Earnie in without losing him then great, if not then let's stick with what we've already got up front.
  • Why is it that all these teams seem happy to get rid of Earnshaw?

He may well score goals, but for everyone to happily band him around for transfer something must be seriously lacking in his game West Brow, Norwich, Derby cannot all be wrong ?
  • Agree with Henry, don't need a new striker and if we did I wouldn't choose someone who although he scores often seems to be seen by his managers as a liability and keeps being moved on.

And I'm hoping to see JT be a star for us this season.
  • [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]Why is it that all these teams seem happy to get rid of Earnshaw?

well he is an ugly barst ketters, must be tough having to look at that boat race all the time!
  • edited August 2007
    [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]Why is it that all these teams seem happy to get rid of Earnshaw?
    He may well score goals, but for everyone to happily band him around for transfer something must be seriously lacking in his game West Brow, Norwich, Derby cannot all be wrong ?
    Earnshaw is like the complete opposite of Lisbie, not much of a footballer, doesn't work for the team but score goals.
  • Much as I am not Thomas's biggest fan, think a swap for earnshaw would be a huge mistake, we already have 4 new forwards. For all his faults Thomas did look half decent v Wednesday last weekend.
  • Sponsored links:

• KEEP JT!!!! Earnie not fussed either way.
  • Ernie's 'just' a goalscorer - goalhanging and feeding off scraps.

Doesn't have an all round game, doesn't run the channels and won't create chances for others.
    That doesn't make him necessarily a bad player - just a bit of a luxury, therefore dispensable.
  • We've got enough strikers, Varney is now back in full training and will be fit soon, so what's the point of Earnshaw now
  • [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]We've got enough strikers, Varney is now back in full training and will be fit soon, so what's the point of Earnshaw now
    to increase our Welsh following?
  • I seem to be the only one but i wouldn't mind losing Thomas to get Earnshaw. Thomas's inconsistency drives me mad and although Earnshaw isn't a complete player he's an out an out goalscorer in this league. Even if we were to lose Thomas, our midfield would still be much better than anything Earnshaw has played in front of before and therefore i think he would get 20+ goals. Nobody here knows if he may want a move back to the Prem (even as short term as it would be)and that may be a major factor in any deal. Ideally i'd have both but can't see that happening.
  • Has he fallen out with Billy Davies? Seems odd that they want rid only 2 months after signing him?
  • Managers never seem to want him.
  • Earnshaw smells of bad apples.
  • I would be happy to see him join the club. However, losing Thomas would be a massive blow. You can say what you want about Earnshaw but he is a PROVEN goalscorer in the championship
  • Didn't Pards say on the News Shopper website interview yesterday that there was nothing to the Earnshaw story?