Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Now do we have a promotion winning side?

With the addition of Mills and Sodje I really think we have the makings of a promotion team, we seem to have the biggest squad in the division along with Sheffield United and must be favorites to be right up there with them at the end of the season.

The Mills signing could be a masterstroke, not only is he solid as anything but it will also allow us to consider pushing Mouataokil into the right-midfield slot where his game may be better suited, he has the pace and skill to deliver from there for sure.

Sodje looks to be just what we need, a big, strong no nonsense merchant who gets in there with his nut to clear the ball and does not care who gets in the way.

I reckon our strongest side now looks like this.....

Weaver
Mills - Sodje - Bougherra - Powell
Thomas - Semedo - Zheng - Reid
Iwulemo - Todorov

We then have a strong second XI with all positions well covered

Randolph
Mouataokil - McCarthy - Fortune - Thatcher
Sam - Holland - Racon - Ambrose
McLeod - Varney

That still leaves; Sankofa, Sinclair, Dickson, Walker, Christiansen, Gibbs and a couple more out of the picture entirely.

That is a HUGE squad and we are obviously putting all our chips on the table over the next two years to get back up because once the parachute payments cease then we won't be able to afford a near 30 strong first team squad.

Comments

• strange as i know Pardew was looking to run with a small, tight squad this year. Obviously changed his thinking.

On paper, Mills is a sensible, practical loan while Moo2 is out. But Moo2 is in a different league too him. I don't think Mills has had that much football lately and certainly won't be the same player we last had. On paper, its good, but we'll get a better judgement after Saturday. Something needed to be done though.

Centre half is still a problem, not seen much of Sodje, so can't really comment, but if i am honest i was looking for a player with a slightly higher stock than him.

Midfield i think is the strongest in the league.
  • Our squad is begining to look quite awesome, however, I still expect a few hiccups until Pardew gets the blend right....going forward we really do look the part, technically I think the midfield is nothing short of awesome, but we must not forget that we need that key element...somebody to win the ball. Hopefully Sodje will bring some stability to the back four, and Im really pleased to have somebody of Mills calibre to fill in for Yassin.
  • Agree with AFKA regards Sodja, let's wait and see how good he is I guess, but I don't see that we have cured our deficiency at the back. Mills I see only as cover for Motorkill, but hopefully a much better centre half option that Fortune etc.

Thatcher may not have started the season on fire, but surely a better bet than than 57yr old Sir Chris.
  • We will have to see what level Mills is at these days but at only 30 he should still be fine in the CCC.

I was a bit worried about Mouataokil at Stoke defensively although he does look great going forward.