Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Reg on the Palace Game (cafc.co.uk)

WSSWSS
edited August 2007 in General Charlton
More than 2,400 Addicks fans are heading to Selhurst Park and, in the wake of the Eagles' court case against former Charlton head coach Iain Dowie over the summer, Varney has appealed for everyone, including officials at both clubs, to concentrate on matters on the pitch this weekend. "I know our matches against Crystal Palace are among our most eagerly awaited fixtures of the current season, and I also have no doubt there will be more focus on matters off the pitch than on it over the next few days," he said.

"This will doubtless be fuelled by further foul-mouthed personal attacks on our board of directors that eager tabloid sports editors will be only too keen to give maximum exposure.

"But those of us involved at a senior level in the game have a responsibility to ensure we say or do nothing to cause problems for the police and other agencies by inciting trouble off the pitch."

He added: "During the summer, there was plenty of publicity when Iain Dowie lost his High Court action against Palace, but very little, if indeed any, reporting of the fact that Palace were ordered to reimburse our legal costs.

"You can be certain that football's governing bodies will be nowhere to be seen when these stories appear, and yet, as a club, we are determined not to respond and inflame the situation.

"The last time we played Palace at The Valley, there was a huge police presence inside and outside the ground, and there were a number of serious incidents in Greenwich and Lewisham in particular.

"This is something everyone should consider before making any comments that could increase the possibility of disorder."

Comments

• seems to me a bit hypocritical to me:

"Varney has appealed for everyone, including officials at both clubs, to concentrate on matters on the pitch this weekend"

and then

"This will doubtless be fuelled by further foul-mouthed personal attacks on our board of directors"
  • [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]
    "The last time we played Palace at The Valley, there was a huge police presence inside and outside the ground, and there were a number of serious incidents in Greenwich and Lewisham in particular.

Slightly OTT really.
  • just seems a pointless thing to publish in my opinion, unless he knows TM is going to come out with something soon and he is pre-empting it.

I'd much rather we just kept our mouths shut from a club point of view unless we are being attacked directly.
  • this was straight out of the programme.
  • The better approach would be to let twatface say whatever he wants and say nothing in reply.

The club shouldnt even be getting involved at all, if Jordan wants to mouth off in the papers and act like a 10 year old, let him, be the better people and stay well out of it.
  • There was a fair bit of trouble after we relegated the tango mans stripey Croydon nigel riddle shithawks at the Holy Valley in 2005.
  • edited August 2007
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]seems to me a bit hypocritical to me:

"Varney has appealed for everyone, including officials at both clubs, to concentrate on matters on the pitch this weekend"

and then

"This will doubtless be fuelled by further foul-mouthed personal attacks on our board of directors"
    Exactly what I thought, they should edit that out at once.
  • Should help inflame the situation, then.......... ;o)
  • Cant see anythign wrong with what Reg has said personally. Its all true!
  • I think the tone was about right. He's got to be seen to be making the right noises but probably would like as much as the rest of us to see Jordan take a good pasting.

Must be hard to bite your tongue about that pricky little orange bastard. 90% of the animosity surrounding this game has been built up by Jordan - will there be any comeback on him? FA disciplinary charges? Letter of warning from the police? No. Didn't think so.

He's far more of a threat to the peace than Off-It's mate and I wouldn't be surprised to see him further inflaming the situation before the day is out. We already know he can give it out but can't take it back (he cried when Brian Cole called them 'Crystal Palarse') and uses a medium of communication with no right of reply to launch his pathetic attacks on us. The best thing we can possibly do though is beat them on the pitch and laugh all the way back to SE7. Then continue laughing as they languish below us in the league.

God, I hope we win!
  • Sponsored links:

• a tad hypocritical
  • [cite]Posted By: PassItToLeaburn[/cite]God, I hope we win!

Me too. I havent felt this nervous since the Playoff Final!!
  • WSSWSS
    edited August 2007
    [cite]Posted By: SE10Addick[/cite]Cant see anythign wrong with what Reg has said personally. Its all true!
    Yes, it may be true but should you say things in the public domain that may cause undue tension in an already volatile situation (in terms of animosity, not violence)?

Especially if you're being hypocritical as i think that article reads.
  • Varney should just say nothing. Rise above anything Jordan says as no one takes him seriously. All this is going to do is give the papers a chance to write crap about issues other than the game itself
  • [cite]Posted By: Charlton Dan[/cite]

Me too. I havent felt this nervous since the Playoff Final!!

Feels like one of those old Charlton v Millwall derbies from when I was at school (hopefully it won't have the same end result as most of those though!).
  • oh shurrup whingeing.

i think he's just pointing out that we have taken a large amount of mudslinging from the Orange One and basically any trouble that happens on saturday is that fooker's fault.
  • on the whole grand scale of things, what Reg has said isnt really inflaming the situation all that much!

Simon Jordan and his arrogant Nigels have seen to that!

I get the impression that if he wasnt a director of the club, he's be there runnign with the b-mob for this one!
  • You're not suffering fools today are you Curb-It?!

(I agree by the way).

(And I'd probably say I did even if I didn't!).
  • it's not a whinge, it's just pointing out a bit of hypocrisy. ;-)

If TTM comes out tomorrow and says "I don't know what PV is talking about, we havent mentioned anything about this game this week but then he comes out accusing us of insulting them after saying matters should remain on the pitch......" etc etc.

We're the one's who look stupid.
  • [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]oh shurrup whingeing.

i think he's just pointing out that we have taken a large amount of mudslinging from the Orange One and basically any trouble that happens on saturday is that fooker's fault.

Will you stop whinging about people whinging for God's sake!! ;-)
  • Sponsored links:

• He will say something, he cant keep shut.

everything that simon jordan has done since that day that we relegated them has brought us to the present and the panic of the police sending out stupid letters.

he has never been warned once by any of the footalling authorities and has been let to vent his spleen at us through the media on many occasion.

God i hope we beat them.
  • [cite]Posted By: PassItToLeaburn[/cite]You're not suffering fools today are you Curb-It?!

(I agree by the way).

(And I'd probably say I did even if I didn't!).

ha ha, just kidding. everyone loves a whinge, even me.
  • [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]He will say something, he cant keep shut.

everything that simon jordan has done since that day that we relegated them has brought us to the present and the panic of the police sending out stupid letters.

he has never been warned once by any of the footalling authorities and has been let to vent his spleen at us through the media on many occasion.

God i hope we beat them.

A-fookin-men to that - top post!
  • I am expecting a huge article from Simple Simon in one of the Tabloids Saturday morning just to pour some more fuel on the fire.
  • [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]it's not a whinge, it's just pointing out a bit of hypocrisy. ;-)

If TTM comes out tomorrow and says "I don't know what PV is talking about, we havent mentioned anything about this game this week but then he comes out accusing us of insulting them after saying matters should remain on the pitch......" etc etc.

We're the one's who look stupid.
    EXACTLY
  • [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]He will say something, he cant keep shut.

God i hope we beat them.

Spot on.
  • lets just smash up their pubs
  • anyone no if rainbows in shoreditch is still open early doors?