Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Marcus Bent to Wigan......

edited August 2007 in Rumours
As the rumour mill goes........

Comments

• Where did you hear that
  • just keep saying it, and pray it becomes true..
  • Dont believe it unless it's followed by fact - locked on - cert etc.
  • Locked on FACT - and we'll pay you to take him, and say pretty please!!!
  • well, hutchings has signed melchiot and bramble.
    men in white coats springs to mind.
  • doing ok tho aint he?
  • [cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]doing ok tho aint he?

hutchings?

like many have pointed out, don't panic after 2/3 games. also don't get carried away.
    imo wigan, having survived on the last day, they lost a good manager, their best player (baines), and 'strengthened' their defence with bramble and melchiot. i think they may well be doomed.
  • Doomed to finish 3rd and qualify for the Champions League?

No............I don't believe it either! :-)
  • Yes please please please!
    ZZ made a difference, Reid on the correct wing made a difference, but the biggest difference in the second half yesterday was no Marcus Bent on the pitch!
  • I didn't think he did that bad yesterday, maybe everyone was so friggin awful that he didn't appear as bad, I don't know but thankfully I'm not manager as I'd have taken Iwelmu off at half time. Anyway still wouldn't be dissapointed to see him go, will struggle to get out of my mind his attitude at games last season, whatever he does this season. And bottome line he doesn't score enough or even look like scoring!
  • Sponsored links:

• A done deal at 2 million.
  • I would be very happy for Bent to go. I think that not being involved in the second half was a plus for us
  • I've not seen anything about this. Where is this info coming from?
  • Me neither I've heard nothing.
  • its just wishful thinking!
  • There might be more to it than that - please!
  • I reckon thats the end of Bent, cant have been happy about being taken off at half time.

I actually thought he was better than Iwelumo first half, shows what I know.
  • Shoot me but I do think Bent has abilty, just not anywhere near as much as he thinks he's got. That's the difference with him and Big Chris for me, Bent thinks he's world class but really isn't, Big Chris seems to want to prove he is! I'm not going to get over excited over 2 goals, much as I thought he played awesome. Just the fact he actually looks like he wants it is enough to have him on the pitch over Bent for me.
  • [cite]Posted By: RedArmySE7[/cite]Shoot me but I do think Bent has abilty, just not anywhere near as much as he thinks he's got. That's the difference with him and Big Chris for me, Bent thinks he's world class but really isn't, Big Chris seems to want to prove he is!

I think you've got that just about spot on....
  • The basic difference is that Iwulemo knows his game and is a genuine target man who knows how to lead the line and bring others into the game, he is a far better player than many have given him credit for.

The problem with Marcus Bent, aside from all the off the field and attitude stuff, is that he is not really a target man (his touch is poor, is ineffectual in the air and does not lead the line very well) but neither is he quick enough or mobile enough to play "on the last man" a la Darren Bent or, in his heyday, Andy Cole.

What you get instead is a bloke who is fast, but not threateningly so, and big and strong but not in a way that is put to much good use.

We have missed a proper target man since Hunt left, given that Bartlett was in and out so often, and Iwulemo could finally fill that gap.
  • Sponsored links:

• The big difference between Bent and Iwelumo for me is their positioning. Iwelumo on Saturday was always where you want your 6ft 3in striker to be - in the centre forward position. Bent in his games this year has been coming out wide far too often. This made it hard for Todorov to link with him against Scunthorpe, and when he's played with McLeod we kept having situations where we had the ball on the wing but neither striker in the box.

Todorov seemed a much more effectual when he played with Iwelumo as he could actually link with him. Would be also very interesting to see how well Iwelumo and McLeod play together.

Bent has tried harder this season, but if somebody is willing to pay money for him I'd take it.
  • ....has he signed yet?
  • I think toddy is quality
  • I remember Marcus destroying our defence and scoring two quick goals a few seasons back for Ipswich, although we came back and won 3-2 (I think ). He has the ability no doubt, just the application is lacking.
  • [cite]Posted By: Gump[/cite]I remember Marcus destroying our defence and scoring two quick goals a few seasons back for Ipswich, although we came back and won 3-2 (I think ). He has the ability no doubt, just the application is lacking.

And the goal he scored for And Leicester...
  • press picking up on this one this morning, talk of £500k.

will be happy if it goes through.
  • In The Sun today.
  • He was no more than a £750K player when we bought him.

Do you think Curbs didn't know how to work a calculator and timesed it by 2?

Very odd.
  • The Bent signing proved to me that Curbs' time at the Valley had come to an end.
    He paid over the odds for an average player simply to get somebody in, presumably in the knowledge that he (Curbs) was unlikely to be around the following season.
    If his heart had still been at CAFC he wouldn't have signed an over-rated, over-priced, under-performing journeyman but would have made the effort to unearth someone with a bit of potential, desire and heart
  • Mind you, he's also overpaid for a few over-rated journeymen at Wham recently, too...