Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Benson Deal Done - Rumoured

Comments

• Options
    pretty sure wages would have been known to the player long before it got to this stage. I expect he will get a slight increase, but nothing to write home about. I think it will appeal to the player more to be playing at a club that has the possibility of giving him a bigger platform, and a more realistic chance of moving up again in the next couple of years, fingers crossed.
  • Options
    Fingers crossed its done soon, and today. I expect it will be more than £800p/w and more like £2kp/w. Whatever it is, its got to be more than what he is on at D&R atm.
  • Options
    Would be another clever signing by Park Ji Son. Norwich, Millwall & Leeds all had strikers that score goals at this level and it was plain obvious most of the last season that's what we needed. Having Abbott, Martin & Benson in, in replace of an injured Burton, Mooney & Akpo is great work in the transfer market imo.
  • Options
    If he comes another body and if brings more competition that is good.

Will wait and see how good he is. Not been impressed with Martin so far and Abbott while good v Orient didn't do enough for me v Oldham.

Akpo seems down the pecking order so a regular first team place is up for grabs.

Where is Fortune and is this Joe Anyoldiron signing or not?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite] Not been impressed with Martin so far

Blimey.You're hard to please.Did more in 80mins at Orient than Mooney did all season.Ran himself into the ground so he did.
  • Options
    Abbott worried me a little vs Oldham, when he had the chance to basically just tap it into the net but he missed the ball if it had been Akpo he would be crucified by now, we really need a poacher in and around the box hopefully Benson will do that
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: carly burn[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Not been impressed with Martin so far

Blimey.You're hard to please.Did more in 80mins at Orient than Mooney did all season.Ran himself into the ground so he did.

He did work very hard and defended well. Nice set up for the goal too but before the sending off despite the nice flicks etc he wasn't hurting Orient much. Same lack of impact v Oldham too.

Mooney scored goals in the league and some good ones as well. Martin has yet to do that. Not writing him off but just not that impressed so far. Might be that Benson will be a good foil for him or that Lee would be better in LM which is where he played the 2nd half v Os.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: carly burn[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Not been impressed with Martin so far

He did work very hard and defended well. Nice set up for the goal too but before the sending off despite the nice flicks etc he wasn't hurting Orient much. Same lack of impact v Oldham too.

Mooney scored goals in the league and some good ones as well. Martin has yet to do that. Not writing him off but just not that impressed so far. Might be that Benson will be a good foil for him or that Lee would be better in LM which is where he played the 2nd half v Os.

Having had to watch some right lazy gobshytes in our midfield over the last few years i found it very encouraging to watch someone willing to put himself on the line for the good of the shirt.Long may it continue.
  • Options
    Agree, no doubting his effort but don't we want a bit more than just that? He has more ie he is skillful and fast but can he apply that in a team?

He was a long way off Abbott so hard for him to pick up on Pavel's hold up play in the way Waggy exploited Akpo's hold up and lay-off for the 3rd goal v O's.

With time and luck that will come, I hope. He's only played two league games, one with 10 men for a half and the other when the whole team didn't really click so too early to judge him.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Daggers fans reckon Charlton have acted 'shabbily' over the Benson signing....not sure about that.

Thought it was Still who went to the press to say we had bids turned down??
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Valley11[/cite]Daggers fans reckon Charlton have acted 'shabbily' over the Benson signing....not sure about that.

Thought it was Still who went to the press to say we had bids turned down??

I'm only guessing (as I suspect most of us are) but perhaps we've just been persistent in our attempts. I don't know if that counts as acting 'shabbily'. We've kept fairly quiet about it, noone from CAFC has come out and said anything that could be described as unsettling him. I think.
  • Options
    Just googled Paul benson and wickepedia states 'Paul benson currently plays as a striker for charlton athletic'. They publish it before the o/s
  • Options
    Well he must have signed if wickepedia say so.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: O-Randy-Hunt[/cite]Just googled Paul benson and wickepedia states 'Paul benson currently plays as a striker for charlton athletic'. They publish it before the o/s

yeah but anyone can edit that. Hence why Paul McCartney failed with a takeover.
  • Options
    Fingers crossed eh but this has been a long and winding road.
  • Options
    I agree with Henry, I haven't been that impressed with Lee Martin yet either.
    He seems to always want to do skills/flicks rather than making an easy pass/taking a first time shot.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: CafcSteve[/cite]I agree with Henry, I haven't been that impressed with Lee Martin yet either.
    He seems to always want to do skills/flicks rather than making an easy pass/taking a first time shot.

I'll stick my neck out - not for the first time.

Lee Martin will do well for us. We have a superb player on our hands there.
  • Options
    what not impressed with martin

are you telling me the lay off to waggy was not one of the best bit of techa's that we have seen in many a year

the boy is mustard

we need a player like that someone unpredictable and off the wall Waggy, Martin and Reid make us dangerous

Semedo mac abott do the donkey stuff waggy Reid martin are the clever ones
  • Options
    Fast, eye for a goal, young, free!

Play Wagstaff up front.
  • Options
    hope you're right Dave. I'm certainly not writing him off

Maybe it's just because he has got all those assets that I expecting more from him too soon.

But he's not free. We're paying some of those 9k wages
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Maybe it's just because he has got all those assets that I expecting more from him too soon.
    There was a lot of excitement after the first couple of games, I think some of the comments like him being too good for this league came too soon. But it's the same with all new signings, we can't judge them properly just yet but still interesting to discuss.

He's never had a full season of regular football and we could be the first team to offer him that. More to come but he'll frustrate at times, but so do a lot of wingers and attacking midfielders.
  • Options
    Benson
  • Options
    We have all been asking for a goal scorer. I don't know too much about Benson, If he is signed as a goal scorer, and manages to put the ball in the back of the net, I'll be happy.

Seems a risk at £230,000 for a 30 year old but as Parkinson has been chasing the signture all Summer,I am hoping that he feels that there is a roll for him. Hopefully, it will give different options up front and complement the strikers we have. Not sure we need Tresor Kandol as with Akpo we have our ' lump at the front' and we don't need another one.

Time will tell. With 6 million for being in the champs and 300,000 TV money in League One, it would be good to get back up to the Champs level.
  • Options
    Kandol isn't signing for us, he was Dag & Reds rumoured replacement for Benson.
  • Options
    Benson is actually 31 in October , but if he does get 20/30 goals in this league then he will be worth it.
  • Options
    It'll be interesting to see if he features for D&R today
  • Options
    No idea if he is signing for us or not, but 1 thing I do know is that we wont be paying anything near the £230k rumoured on here. My guess is that the fee wont be more than 5 figs.
  • Options
    Benson starts for Dagenham. Maybe not a done deal after all.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: mart77[/cite]Benson starts for Dagenham. Maybe not a done deal after all.

He struck me as a good guy in what he has said (about feeling loyal to Still). They're at home, maybe he wants to go out on a high before saying goodbye....

Ok I'll get me coat
  • Options
    Nowt in PP's post match press conference about Benson/new signings