Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

2018 FIFA World Cup Thread

Comments

• Options
    The Germany win means that group is still alive with 3 teams having a chance to go through. An England win today would mean 2 groups (A and G) would be decided already
  • Options

Just read a bit of a depressing stat. Between Alli, Sterling and Lingard they have a total of 73 caps...and just 5 goals for England. That's a dreadful return for players that are effectively out and out attackers.

Given the frailty of the opposition in this tournament we have the best chance of progressing a long way for ages but we need our attacking players to start supporting Kane.

Cue Lingard hat-trick today...

It’s only ‘a depressing stat’ if nobody is scoring goals for England

If they making the goals or making space for the goal scorer then they are doing something equally important for the team
  • Options

Sounds like Sterling will start today. Dele not fit so I assume Sterling drops back with Rashford coming or in Loftus-Cheek starts.

Rashford in for Sterling, Lotus-Cheek in for Alli.
    Confirmed?
  • Options
    Leuth said:

Jonathan Wilson kicking off his latest article with 'many are grumbling this is the worst World Cup ever'

...are they? It's been great ffs

Gonna agree with you for once... Maybe a few too many 1-0 wins yet this World Cup is showing why it was stupid to increase Euros to 24-teams

Euro 2016 saw too many teams wanting to defend and so get a point to ensure they got out the Groups
    2018 World Cup is seeing most teams attacking because if they dont win a game then they're out
  • Options
    Leuth said:

Jonathan Wilson kicking off his latest article with 'many are grumbling this is the worst World Cup ever'

...are they? It's been great ffs

I agree - it's been good so far, bit harsh to judge anyway considering we haven't even reached the third round of games yet let alone the knockout phase!

One of the best things so far is how competitive the golden boot race is looking to be with Ronaldo, Costa, Lukaku and Kane (maybe even Hazard now) all in the mix - all in teams that could potentially go deep in the tournament so it's a real proper race. The 1-0 wins stat is a bit of a misleading one in my opinion - it's just that games that would have been 0-0 in any other world cup have been getting late goals.

• Options
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44592846

Switzerland pair Granit Xhaka and Xherdan Shaqiri face two-match bans for their goal celebrations in their side's World Cup victory over Serbia. That would be a massive blow for Switzerland
  • Options
    Never thought I would hear Joy Division used in football coverage. Loved it.
  • Options

Some days have been better than others, yesterday was excellent for example, 3 good games with plenty of excitement

That's true....wasn't there 3 1-0's on one day?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44592846

Switzerland pair Granit Xhaka and Xherdan Shaqiri face two-match bans for their goal celebrations in their side's World Cup victory over Serbia. That would be a massive blow for Switzerland

Bit harsh.
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    Huskaris said:

Great choice of music.
  • Options

Huskaris said:

Great choice of music.
    Yeah, not a band you would think would work, but it really did. Day Of The Lords is a great song too.
  • Options

Some days have been better than others, yesterday was excellent for example, 3 good games with plenty of excitement

That's true....wasn't there 3 1-0's on one day?
    Yes, last Wednesday
  • Options
    edited June 2018

Sounds like Sterling will start today. Dele not fit so I assume Sterling drops back with Rashford coming or in Loftus-Cheek starts.

Rashford in for Sterling, Lotus-Cheek in for Alli.
    Confirmed?
    No

:-)

• Options
    edited June 2018
    Thus far I'd say it's a better World Cup than 2010 or 2014... probably helps that England look capable of winning games.
  • Options
    Daily Mail is reporting that the Argentine players will pick the squad for their Nigeria game rather than Sampaoli
  • Options

Daily Mail is reporting that the Argentine players will pick the squad for their Nigeria game rather than Sampaoli

Most reports suggest Messi picks the team anyway. So no difference really
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Japan v Senegal - DODGY STADIUM ALERT!
  • Options
    Girl mascot taller than that Japanese player, gotta be a kick in the bollocks that before playing a game of football
  • Options
    Said it before now yet love that Japanese National Anthem

Problem anthem to an ancient country!!
  • Options
    Great defending from Japan there
  • Options
    Why didn't the keeper just catch it? Awful goalkeeping.
  • Options
    think we might be in the midst of a bumper goal day today!
  • Options
    31 games without a 0-0.... 33 games left in the tournament.
  • Options

Most reports suggest Messi picks the team anyway. So no difference really
    Messi is 100% the reason Icardi never makes the squad so it wouldn't surprise me. Although surely he's not stupid enough to not pick Dybala
  • Options
    1-1, decent game this
  • Options
    1-1 here, 1-1 later and 2-1 wins for Poland and Colombia in the next set of matches...

All four teams on four points, zero goal difference, four goals scored...

Poland - 1 yellow card
    Japan - 1 yellow card
    Senegal - 2 yellow cards
    Colombia - 1 red card, 3 yellow cards