Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton signings "presented" on the pitch

2»

Comments

• Options
    cafcwill said:

Pretty sure Hreidarsson was, before the end of the season when he would be joining in the summer?

Yes he was at half time when we were on our way to a 6-1 drubbing by leeds
    Immediately thought 'I dont remember that' then remembered Id left by half time
  • Options

Watching Premier League Legends and Middlesbrough presented Junhino on the pitch on a non match day in front of a packed stand. Seem to recall Newcastle getting huge crowds for the likes of shearer and asprillia signing and it's common place in Spain when they sign someone big who'll do a few kick ups and some waving.

Is this solely the persevere of those in the North East and on the continent or have we ever done it?

Ie when Simonsen signed?

Suppose it comes down to having marquee signings which have been rare at the Valley since Di Canio I suppose...the unveiling of Roger Johnson in front of a sparsely populated lower west on a grey Tuesday afternoon as he managed 3 kick ups before calling the 8 fans in attendance ****s probably doesn't have the same kudos as unveiling a world beater in front of 10,000 hopeful geordies.

That’s the trouble we’ve never persevered with anything.
  • Options

Colin Cameron book states

REID signed 29-4-85
    Pearson signed20-5-85
    Loveridge 1-7-85
    Shipley sign18-7-85
    Humphrey 22-7-85
    Pender 23-7-85
    Thompson 15-8-85

Thats how to do business......

Far be it for me to disagree with somebody like Colin who probably knew more about Charlton than anyone but .................... I don't think the signing of Mark Reid would have been possible on that date. Back then there was a deadline for signing players which was 31st March until the end of the season hence why we had agreed a fee with chef weds for Pearson but not actually signed him.
  • Options

Presented in the tunnel. Couldn't find his way to or on the pitch.
  • Options

Remember John Pearson being announced at half time by Jimmy Hill at the 3-3 Oxford home game years back. Can’t remember anyone else bar Di Canio on Talksport and thinking that we had become bigtime...

Beat me to it, immediately thought of Pearson
    It was such a shock to her us send actual money!

100 grand seemed a big fee then...
  • Options
    _MrDick said:

Remember John Pearson being announced at half time by Jimmy Hill at the 3-3 Oxford home game years back. Can’t remember anyone else bar Di Canio on Talksport and thinking that we had become bigtime...

I think they wheeled out Mark Reid that night and announced that we’d agreed a fee with Chef Wendy for John Pearson
    He may well have been wheeled out but they definately announced Pearson over the tannoy.

Like they'd signed Messi....
  • Options

_MrDick said:

I think they wheeled out Mark Reid that night and announced that we’d agreed a fee with Chef Wendy for John Pearson
    He may well have been wheeled out but they definately announced Pearson over the tannoy.

Yes, that's what I said :)
  • Options

_MrDick said:

I remember Jimmy Hill's words very well (re Pearson): "Not a free transfer, not a has-been". I've a feeling that Reidy must have been on board by then, because (with Pearson) there was definitely a sense that we were giving it a go the following season. Once we signed John Humphrey, I was convinced we would be contenders - I remembered him from the previous season as the one bit of quality in a terrible Wolves team. But we were under the bookies' radar, so I got nice odds on my each-way bet...
  • Options

Colin Cameron book states

REID signed 29-4-85
    Pearson signed20-5-85
    Loveridge 1-7-85
    Shipley sign18-7-85
    Humphrey 22-7-85
    Pender 23-7-85
    Thompson 15-8-85

Thats how to do business......

Far be it for me to disagree with somebody like Colin who probably knew more about Charlton than anyone but .................... I don't think the signing of Mark Reid would have been possible on that date. Back then there was a deadline for signing players which was 31st March until the end of the season hence why we had agreed a fee with chef weds for Pearson but not actually signed him.
    Programme Tues 7th May 1985 v Oxford Utd......Lennies Line We welcome the signing of Mark Reid from Celtic who representsthe first stage of my rebuilding plans.

Colin Cameron still lives on ,with his History of Charlton.......you can disagree with me but Colin noway.