Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Former Charlton player faces Jail (Mark Aizlewood)

Comments

• Options

holyjo said:

Used to love him as a player, scoring the penalty at White Hart Lane in the FA Cup, the infamous calling fans w*****s. turned his game around and became top draw before the move to Leeds

Was that in 1985. I was at that game but I thought Ronnie Moore scored ........... lively old day that
    Aizlewood took the penalty at White Hart Lane and scored on the rebound

Ronnie Moore scored the penalty in the replay
    Think it was a second rebound that Aizlewood scored.
  • Options

Well I'd just like to say that as a player he was very good for us imo

Really!
    Goodish I’d say but nothing special.
    Don’t remember much weeping or wailing when he left us.
    I think you're in the minority. After the infamous v-sign incident he became probably our most important midfielder in the promotion winning team.
  • Options

Really!
    I think you're in the minority. After the infamous v-sign incident he became probably our most important midfielder in the promotion winning team.
    You're right, he had a very good season. I thought Curbishley was excellent too and gave us a bit of class we hadn't had in previous seasons.
  • Options

Really!
    100% this. Thought he was a cracking player.
  • Options
    Got to feel sorry for his family
  • Options

Really!
    Absolutely, he was a class act. Pity that class didn't apparently reflect in his morals.
  • Options
    Mark Aizlewood was a brilliant player for us. He was an immense presence and leader on the pitch. When we got promoted to Div 1 at Carlisle, winning 3-2, he virtually single handedly dragged us back into the game after we were 2-0 down. He wasn't the most skillful but he was a fearsome tough leader who scared the opposition, like Mark Kinsella and we've never had enough of those. It's a particular weakness in the current team. Bearing in mind it took us 28 years to get back to the top division in 1985, he was the player who principally made it happen and we should always be very grateful for that. In a way, he is a forgotten hero for that. When he left to go to Leeds, I wrote to him thanking him for all he had done for Charlton and he sent me back a very nice letter.
    His demise is very sad indeed
  • Options
    Hate to sound cynical but I wonder if he’s using this personal situation to try to get a more lenient sentence.

Obviously a horrific time for them all and may have played a part in him not thinking straight. Who knows.

Sad story all round
  • Options
    Swisdom said:

Hate to sound cynical but I wonder if he’s using this personal situation to try to get a more lenient sentence.

Obviously a horrific time for them all and may have played a part in him not thinking straight. Who knows.

Sad story all round

It seems very possible.
  • Options

When we got promoted to Div 1 at Carlisle, winning 3-2, he virtually single handedly dragged us back into the game after we were 2-0 down.

Thought that was Jim Tolmie?

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    holyjo said:

holyjo said:

Used to love him as a player, scoring the penalty at White Hart Lane in the FA Cup, the infamous calling fans w*****s. turned his game around and became top draw before the move to Leeds

Was that in 1985. I was at that game but I thought Ronnie Moore scored ........... lively old day that
    Aizlewood took the penalty at White Hart Lane and scored on the rebound

Ronnie Moore scored the penalty in the replay
    It was absolutely Rammo. My memory was that the Spurs fans were in a tier above us. Was that right ?
    Yes they were, they were in seats above whereas we were crammed on the terrace below. Up there with tbe Ipswich cup match for the most packed in I've been at a CAFC game.

Aizlewood took the penalty, Ray Clemence parried it out, Gritty ran in and hammered it only for Clemence to save it again...it rolled across the face and Aizlewood rolled it in. Total bedlam ensued........
  • Options
    Unless Mark Aizlewood was a sleeping partner in the business for the 4 years of the investigation, he had no defense (like Charlton on Saturday) of the charges. Mark's personality he showed as a footballer would suggest he would be leading the company not just playing a secondary role. Very sad about his wife but for that to be mentioned in court sounds like damage limitation. Aizlewood was a strong player for CAFC similar to Gareth Barry in his younger days.
  • Options
    Swisdom said:

Sad story all round

Well, of course but under instruction. It would have been one of the first things his QC would have said to him: "give me a long list of mitigation".

Frankly that Nigel Lambert was part of the defence team tells you pretty much all you need to know. It's a surprise there was a guilty verdict at all. Here's a list of the fine examples of his work listed on his chambers web site: so presumably the ones he is especially proud of. (Probably best not viewed while eating breakfast).

carmelitechambers.co.uk/members/nigel-lambert/expertise/homicide-and-corporate-manslaughter-nigel-lambert
  • Options
    6 years, blimey
  • Options
    That’ll teach him to flick a v sign at the covered end
  • Options
    Six years? Dont even get that if you kill someone these days.
  • Options
    Very sad news
  • Options
    Geoffrey Archer only got 4 years. Sad news.
  • Options
    Oh dear.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Agree with you there bro'. The scummy w**kers who killed those 2 young boys in Coventry last week will probably get less than 10 years as will the driver who is currently on trail for killing the schoolboys in Southall.
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

Saw him make his debut along with Carl Harris in the 2-1 away win at Leeds in November 1982. Don't recall him pulling up any trees that day but won me over going on to be club captain and player of the year two seasons running 84/85 and 85/86.

He actually laid on the first goal for Steve White in that game .
  • Options
    Human life is being steadily devalued in our modern diverse society (or whatever the present PC phrase is for justifying crimes of violence) but in any event money and property is and has been valued more highly by the powers that be.

Such crimes are therefore punished more severely than crimes against the person.
  • Options
    We seem to have had quite a few crooks play for us don't we?
    Including Garth.
  • Options
    What I find more shocking - but not surprising - is that the government is throwing millions of pounds of public money down the train on such an obviously bullshit scheme.

Makes you wonder what else they are wasting public money on.....

• Options
    6 years seems about right to me. He got what he deserved I'm afraid.
  • Options
    Yeah he sounds a lovely person when he's being crooked:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/3827067.stm

So paedophiles and rapists get a matter of months when they are caught, but embezzle a bit of cash and they throw the book at you. I'm not saying what Aizlewood did was right, but it infuriates me that these judges can be strong in cases like this yet lenient in cases where a sicko can prey on victims who aren't able defend themselves. I hate our justice system sometimes.

As for that.... no they don't. The only mandatory sentence I know in this country is life for murder. There's no minimum sentence for rape, but it's generally considered at 5 years. Months is just utter bullshit. Apart from completely bizarre cases, so rare as you'd struggle to find them. Should Worboys be given a life sentence with a minimum sentence of life? Yes. Should life be 35 years not 25? For me Yes.

As for Aizlewood seems like he's utter scum in situations where he can be. It's a shame they didn't bother googling him when colleges did business with him. Maybe he's decent at times but his behaviour with the Welsh journalist leaves questions as to why the FAW and others ever facilitated his crap business.
  • Options
    edited February 2018

So paedophiles and rapists get a matter of months when they are caught, but embezzle a bit of cash and they throw the book at you. I'm not saying what Aizlewood did was right, but it infuriates me that these judges can be strong in cases like this yet lenient in cases where a sicko can prey on victims who aren't able defend themselves. I hate our justice system sometimes.

Really ?; can you show any evidence of a rapist being sentenced to a "matter of months" . There is no statutory minimum sentance but the guidelines say a minimum of five years

• Options

Agree with you there bro'. The scummy w**kers who killed those 2 young boys in Coventry last week will probably get less than 10 years as will the driver who is currently on trail for killing the schoolboys in Southall.
    "The Court of Appeal in R v Cooksley and others[6] gave guidelines for cases where death is caused by dangerous driving. In R v Richardson[7] the Court of Appeal reassessed the starting point set out in R v Cooksley taking into consideration the increase in the maximum penalty. The relevant starting points identified in Cooksley should be reassessed as follows:

i) No aggravating circumstances – twelve months to two years' imprisonment (previously 18 months);
    ii) Intermediate culpability - two to four and a half years' imprisonment (previously 3 years);
    iii) Higher culpability – four and a half to seven years' imprisonment (previously 5 years);
    iv) Most serious culpability – seven to fourteen years' imprisonment (previous starting point of 6 years)."