Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

CL's Favourite Albums. QF3: Revolver vs The Dark Side of the Moon

Comments

• Two classic albums of different genres. I have grown to appreciate The Beatles more in recent years than I ever did in my formative years, however DSOTM was one of those albums that evoke teenage memories and still sounds great to me today.

So it Dark Side for me by half a length.
  • DSOTM for me
  • edited October 2017
    Eleanor Rigby is one of my favourite Beatles songs but Floyd wins for me.

Dark Side.
  • Tough choice. But Revolver it is
  • Revolver.
  • Dark side.
  • Revolver in the lead 31-26
  • Dark Side.
  • Sponsored links:

• Whilst downloading Spotify in readiness for my loooong drive this weekend, i thought i'd listen to Floyds Animals. Another timeless piece - its only Floyd who could make Dog and Pig noises along with drunk Irish security guards sound musically brilliant.
  • Whilst downloading Spotify in readiness for my loooong drive this weekend, i thought i'd listen to Floyds Animals. Another timeless piece - its only Floyd who could make Dog and Pig noises along with drunk Irish security guards sound musically brilliant.

@Addick in SW16 - do you have the list of quarter finalists?, and i'll listen to them on my drive.
  • Dark side has Brain Damage / Eclipse which is a great track but for me the rest of the album doesn't appeal. though I do think its a more of a complete/coherent album than Revolver. most like that Revolver moves from pop to psychedelia which became influential and ground breaking but for me I find that it harms the albums flow. still, its got several good tracks...

so I vote for Revolver
  • edited November 2017

Whilst downloading Spotify in readiness for my loooong drive this weekend, i thought i'd listen to Floyds Animals. Another timeless piece - its only Floyd who could make Dog and Pig noises along with drunk Irish security guards sound musically brilliant.

@Addick in SW16 - do you have the list of quarter finalists?, and i'll listen to them on my drive.
    I do indeed:

Blood on the Tracks - Bob Dylan
    Blue - Joni Mitchell
    Bridge Over Troubled Water - Simon & Garfunkel
    Dark Side of the Moon - Pink Floyd
    Definitely Maybe - Oasis
    Nevermind - Nirvana
    Revolver - The Beatles
    Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band - The Beatles
  • First two on that list are the real finalists.

Ignore the rest
  • Personally i wouldnt even go close to the first 3

Then you'll never know how good the first two are.
  • Dark Side of the Moon for me.
  • Sponsored links:

• Although Dark Side of the moon is probably my favourite Pink Floyd album, which is not necessarily a big recommendation for me Revolver aces it all day long as it remains one of the very best Beatles albums and that is high praise.
  • Dark Side Of The Moon

And you'll never know how good the last six are, based on your comment immediately preceding...
  • PaddyP17 said:

Personally i wouldnt even go close to the first 3

And you'll never know how good the last six are, based on your comment immediately preceding...
    I know exactly how good, or bad, the others are. Most of them I'd listened to before you were born.
  • PaddyP17 said:

I know exactly how good, or bad, the others are. Most of them I'd listened to before you were born.
    The_President's comment equally implies that he's come to his judgement based on listening to all eight, too. So he does know how "good" (or bad or mediocre or amazing or terrible) the first two are, I would think.

... And congratulations on being older than me? Being young doesn't preclude me from this discussion!
  • PaddyP17 said:

So, the same doesnt apply to me then for the first 3 ??
  • PaddyP17 said:

So, the same doesnt apply to me then for the first 3 ??
    Not if, as you've said, you won't go close to them.

And why ask what the eight are and then not listen or re-listen to them?
    PaddyP17 said:

PaddyP17 said:

The_President's comment equally implies that he's come to his judgement based on listening to all eight, too. So he does know how "good" (or bad or mediocre or amazing or terrible) the first two are, I would think.

... And congratulations on being older than me? Being young doesn't preclude me from this discussion!
    No, I infer the opposite from what the president said.

And no your age doesn't preclude you but lack of memory does. I've commented on all of them in the previous rounds.

• One of the things this excellent series has stirred-up in me, apart from re-appraising long held views, is an ongoing inner contest between albums one might consider above all else "A Work of Art" against albums that just get you on an indeterminate visceral level.
    Thus, I might put in the first bracket say Blood on the Tracks; Sgt Pepper; Pet Sounds; John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band.
    And then I feel guilty putting a less revered album above them simply because, to quote Ray Davies, it gets me between the legs.
    All good fun

I do indeed:

Blue - Joni Mitchell
    Definitely Maybe - Oasis
    Nevermind - Nirvana
    Revolver - The Beatles
    A bit pink innit..?
    No Marvin Gaye's 'What's Going On'
    No Stevie Wonder's 'innervisions' or 'songs in the key of life, Prince 'Sign o' the times'
    Ninna Simone (any of them)
    Or even little Michael..?
    Innervisions for me...

I do indeed:

Blue - Joni Mitchell
    Definitely Maybe - Oasis
    Nevermind - Nirvana
    Revolver - The Beatles
    A bit pink innit..?
    No Marvin Gaye's 'What's Going On'
    No Stevie Wonder's 'innervisions' or 'songs in the key of life, Prince 'Sign o' the times'
    Ninna Simone (any of them)
    Or even little Michael..?
    Innervisions for me...
    Tbf given the Anglocentric, (presumably) predominantly white makeup of this website I'm not surprised.

But yeah, What's Going On is up there with the absolute best of the best. Same (for us two only probably!) goes for Kind of Blue/Love Supreme etc