Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Kent CCC 2017

Comments

• Options
    Good job there were no takers from the cynical lot that are Kent supporters - 229 all out from 130-5.

The wickets were shared about but Grant Stewart took his first couple in the CC.
  • Options
    23-1 (9.4 ovs) Bell-Drummond
    23-2 (11.4 ovs) Denly
    23-3 (11.5 ovs) Northeast
    24-4 (14.4 ovs) Crawley
  • Options
    Rouse is now batting as Billings has left the game after being called up to England squad....
  • Options
    Hitting fours for fun now.

Dizzy heights of 59/5
  • Options
    98-6 at close and a lead of 171. Rouse 34*
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    Unsurprisingly Kent capitulated this morning. All out 115.

Glamorgan cruising on 26-0 chasing 189
  • Options
    50-0

The sooner this season ends the better.
  • Options
    Well, Glamorgan have moved from 96-0 to 143-4 with three of those wickets going to you know who!
  • Options
    Another false dawn - we lost by 5 wickets.

So another season ends. We need to take stock, get those who have under-performed to work at their game, identify the areas we need to fill (a quality batsman and a seriously quick bowler I would suggest) and play all next season as we started this.
  • Options
    Those who have underperformed? That is nearly all of them; exceptions being Denley, Stevens and SNE. Although the latters captaincy and leadership need to be questioned.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    redman said:

Those who have underperformed? That is nearly all of them; exceptions being Denley, Stevens and SNE. Although the latters captaincy and leadership need to be questioned.

I think the ones who have had proper opportunities and under-performed in the CC are DBD, Dickson, Coles, Claydon and Gidman. In DBD's case he has done well in the limited overs matches and Dickson did average 38.29 albeit massively influenced by that 318.

The likes of Rouse, Billings, Hunn, Haggett, Tredwell and Qayyum escape that criticism simply because they've either done OK or just not played much.
  • Options
    Didn't see his innings today but Bilbo only managed to score 2 against the Windies today....

I must have blinked !
  • Options

Didn't see his innings today but Bilbo only managed to score 2 against the Windies today....

I must have blinked !

It must have been tough, being dragged out of a red ball match to play in an ODI having not seen a white ball for weeks

Then sitting in the dressing room watching Moeen and Buttler smack it around...
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

To protect the workload of the England elite who barely play county games anyway....

According to someone high at Worcestershire that I spoke to, it was so that all 18 teams could play on the same day leaving yet more time for other forms of the game. This selling point seems to be nonsense as I am not sure all 18 teams were often in action simultaneously.
  • Options
    So, exactly a year after winning the title, Middlesex have been relegated. How they must wish that the proposed "one down only" had come to fruition.

Even more frustrating must be the fact that the bottom four were only separated by 2 points - and that they would have survived had they not been the only county in the division to have points deducted (2 against Surrey) as a result of a slow over rate!
  • Options
    What I don't like about the system of promotion and relegation, is that so many random factors can determine league positions, such as weather and international callups. Have a team full of Kolpaks and you're fine, have a couple of England callups, and you can lose key players.

Kent are going nowhere, but our penultimate match had no play at all (when every other game in the country had play on most days) while in the last game, we had a player (Billings) removed during the match.
  • Options

What I don't like about the system of promotion and relegation, is that so many random factors can determine league positions, such as weather and international callups. Have a team full of Kolpaks and you're fine, have a couple of England callups, and you can lose key players.

Kent are going nowhere, but our penultimate match had no play at all (when every other game in the country had play on most days) while in the last game, we had a player (Billings) removed during the match.

Yes, I was pretty cheesed off that Billings was stolen from Kent mid-way through a game just because Ben Stokes is a massive drunken, pub-fighting idiot. WTF are the ECB playing at?!
  • Options

So, exactly a year after winning the title, Middlesex have been relegated. How they must wish that the proposed "one down only" had come to fruition.

Even more frustrating must be the fact that the bottom four were only separated by 2 points - and that they would have survived had they not been the only county in the division to have points deducted (2 against Surrey) as a result of a slow over rate!

http://www.skysports.com/cricket/news/12123/11059991/middlesex-to-appeal-against-relegation-from-county-championship-division-one
  • Options

http://www.skysports.com/cricket/news/12123/11059991/middlesex-to-appeal-against-relegation-from-county-championship-division-one
    They've absolutely no chance of winning this appeal.

I mean what has the home of cricket with the influence of people like Strauss and Fraser got that the country bumpkins that Kent haven't?

Why wouldn't the ECB want a team made up of Sam Robson, Eoin Morgan, Dawid Malan, Nick Compton, Steven Finn, Nick Gubbins, Ollie Rayner, Toby Roland-Jones, Tom Helm, James Fuller and Max Holden, all of whom have played in International cricket or been on Lions' tours, playing in Div 2?
  • Options
    Latest on comings and goings - in addition to Adam Ball and Hugh Bernard leaving, Charlie Hartley has now been released.

Ollie Robinson has signed his first professional contract and Stevens is about to put pen to paper on that new one year deal.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

They've absolutely no chance of winning this appeal.

I mean what has the home of cricket with the influence of people like Strauss and Fraser got that the country bumpkins that Kent haven't?

Why wouldn't the ECB want a team made up of Sam Robson, Eoin Morgan, Dawid Malan, Nick Compton, Steven Finn, Nick Gubbins, Ollie Rayner, Toby Roland-Jones, Tom Helm, James Fuller and Max Holden, all of whom have played in International cricket or been on Lions' tours, playing in Div 2?
    Should dock em another 2 points next season by saying the early end to the game prevented them falling even further behind the over rate.
  • Options
    Lions squad announced. Guess what? No northeast or billings. What does northeast need to do to get picked?!
  • Options
    That is ridiculous.

Jennings and Gubbins ahead of Mitchell too! After their respective seasons! It's all politics ffs

• Options
    Billings being omitted is completely fair though. I'm surprised he gets as many England call-ups as he does
  • Options

Lions squad announced. Guess what? No northeast or billings. What does northeast need to do to get picked?!

Joe Denly surely should have been with the Lions in Australia, seeing that he can open and play at 3, both places where England have very thin resources
  • Options
    I went to see the second days play at Canterbury v Glamorgan. It was a very gloomy experience. £20 to get in. No atmosphere. No young people in the ground. No special offers on food or drink. In fact it was hard to find a drink even though Shepherd Neame is plastered all over the place. One bar had no clean glasses, no barman for several minutes and eventually one of the worst pints of Sheps i have ever had. The place really needs to liven up and an injection of fun into the day. Oh, no scorecards, no betting outlets,no announcements at key times and no will to look after the customer.
  • Options
    I think that the selectors are sending clear messages to the players - unless you play in Div 1 or for a "big" county then you aren't going to get in to the England set up. I believe that only three (Wood, Duckett and Garton) apart from the Middlesex players, will be playing in Div 2 next season from the 33 picked for the Ashes and Lions squads.

And that is why we are seeing the better players migrating to those Division 1 Clubs. They simply want to make them more competitive.
  • Options

I went to see the second days play at Canterbury v Glamorgan. It was a very gloomy experience. £20 to get in. No atmosphere. No young people in the ground. No special offers on food or drink. In fact it was hard to find a drink even though Shepherd Neame is plastered all over the place. One bar had no clean glasses, no barman for several minutes and eventually one of the worst pints of Sheps i have ever had. The place really needs to liven up and an injection of fun into the day. Oh, no scorecards, no betting outlets,no announcements at key times and no will to look after the customer.

I think counties only care (commercially) about the white ball stuff, especially T20

It's thinking the unthinkable, but to me the Canterbury ground is a dump, and a major reason why Kent are now stuck with the also-ran counties. Maybe Kent would be better served "doing a Hampshire" and building a new ground somewhere else?
  • Options

Latest on comings and goings - in addition to Adam Ball and Hugh Bernard leaving, Charlie Hartley has now been released.

Ollie Robinson has signed his first professional contract and Stevens is about to put pen to paper on that new one year deal.

Stevens has now signed as has Tredwell who will combine playing with coaching the age group sides.
  • Options

I think counties only care (commercially) about the white ball stuff, especially T20

It's thinking the unthinkable, but to me the Canterbury ground is a dump, and a major reason why Kent are now stuck with the also-ran counties. Maybe Kent would be better served "doing a Hampshire" and building a new ground somewhere else?
    They have, The County Ground Beckenham. Unless they find themselves a Sugardaddy that's as good as it will get.