Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Updated Squad List - 18 January 2017

edited January 2017 in General Charlton
It's that time again. Putting a new list up always means a flurry of moves in and out.

As ever corrections welcome. All mistakes mine, all heavy lifting done by @Scoham

Positions are arbitrary eg Konsa could be a centre half or midfielder but has played more games at right back so is listed there for now. Aherne-Grant, Hanlan and Umerah could be listed as first team strikers but play more often for the U23s

Copyright: Charlton Life

First Team

Goalkeepers

Declan Rudd 2017 (Season long loan from Norwich City)
Dillon Phillips 2018

Right Backs

Kevin Foley 05/01/2017 Contract ended. Signed by Coventry City
Chris Solly 2020
Ezri Konsa Undisclosed "Long Term" (2019 estimated, signed December 2015)

Centre Backs

Roger Johnson 2017
Harry Lennon 2018
Patrick Bauer 2019
Jason Pearce 2019
Jorge Teixeira 2020
Naby Sarr 2020 - loaned to Red Star FC 93 (France)

Left Backs

Morgan Fox 2018 Sold To Sheffield Wednesday for undisclosed fee reported as £700k
Adam Chicksen 2017
Lewis Page 2019 Signed from West Ham United for undisclosed fee

Central Midfielders

Andrew Crofts 2017
Johnnie Jackson 2017
Oliver Muldoon 2017
El-Hadji Ba 2018
Ahmed Kashi 2018 (long term injury)
Fredrik Ulvestad (Signed on season long loan from Burnley)
Jake Forster-Caskey 2019 Signed from Brighton and Hove Albion for undisclosed fee
Joe Aribo 2019

Wide Midfielders

Ricky Holmes 2018
Ademola Lookman 2020 Sold to Everton for undisclosed fee widely reported as £8m guaranteed rising to £11m
Jordan Botaka - Signed on season long loan from Leeds United
Cristian Ceballos 2018 - Season long loan to Koninklijke Sint-Truidense Voetbalvereniging (Belgium)
Jay Dasilva (signed on loan from Chelsea for remainder of 2016/17 season)
Nathan Byrne (signed on loan from Wigan Athletic for remainder of 2016/17 season)

Strikers

Nicky Ajose 2019
Lee Novak 2019
Josh Magennis 2018
Tony Watt 2018
Igor Vetokele 2019 - loaned to Koninklijke Sint-Truidense Voetbalvereniging when paperwork completed

U23 Development Squad

Goalkeepers

Dimitar Mitov 2017 plus one year option
Callum Thomas 2017 (estimated) Youth Loan to South Park
Jordan Beeney 2018 (had heard he signed a 2 year scholarship and 2 year pro deal)
Ashely Maynard-Brewer 2019 plus 1 year option

Right Backs

Aaron Barnes 2017

Centre Backs

Elan Assiana 2017 (estimated)
Daniel Bowry 2017
Terell Thomas 2017 Loaned to Woking
Kenneth Yao Undisclosed "Long Term" (2019 estimated, signed January 2016)

Left Backs

Archie Edwards 2018

Central Midfielders

Chris Millar 2017 Youth loan to Dulwich Hamlet
Anfernee Dijksteel 2017 2020
Regan Charles-Cook Undisclosed "Long Term" (2019 estimated, signed December 2015)
George Lapslie 2019
Matt Carter 2018

Strikers

Mikhail Kennedy 2018
Josh Umerah 2018
Louis-Michel Yamfam 2018 - Youth loan to Dulwich Hamlet
Karlan Ahearne-Grant 2019
Reeco Hackett-Fairchild 2017.
Brandon Hanlan 2018 - Loan to Bromley (end 18th Feb)

Comments

• Options
    25 first team players not counting Ba or Kashi
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    With the formation KR favours and current injuries to strikers I feel we could do with one more up top. That is assuming Ajose leaves. That leaves

Magennis, Novak, new, Hanlan for the leading the line role.

Watt, KAG, Umerah if we want to go 2 up top or bring one on late in the game to run at their defense.

The area I think we look weakest is wingers. Especially as KR likes to play 2 wingers.

Holmes, Byrne, Botaka, Dasilva doesn't instill me with confidence... even if you add Chicksen to that I'm just not sure.

Holmes is obviously class and I hope he can stay fit for the rest of the season. Byrne looked good at the weekend. For me the jury is still out on Botaka, I hope he comes back from ACON in brilliant form but for me he's looked better in 10 mins cameos than when he's started or got half an hour... DaSilva is very young. I expect him to be a good player but not sure how much of a part he will play this year.

Obviously lookman was class but I'm not sure we have got anyone close to replacing him.

And I still think when need to replace Foley. A back up right back/utility player, that would allow Konsa to play in his right position rather than be a gap fill all the time.

So I would like to see ins:
    Striker
    Winger
    Utility player
    Wouldn't say no to a no 10 as well.

Outs:
    Ajose
    Ba
    Couple of youth players on loan.

But we know that Roly doesn't do squads so we will wait with much anticipation.
  • Options
    How many loans are we allowed in the squad.
  • Options

7 but only 5 in the 18 man squad
  • Options
    Weak, unbalanced and short term. But they have only been in charge for three years.
  • Options

7 but only 5 in the 18 man squad
    Cheers. And we've got 5? so really only worth getting one more at most..
  • Options
    I make that 31-32 players with first team experience. Compared to the clubs around us - and above us - in the same league that's not bad at all. Checking out the other clubs most of them are reliant on young players too. I guess we should exclude Ba and Kashi which brings us back to 29-30. Still not bad.
  • Options
    I'd like another winger, a right back, a number 10 and another striker, at the expense of Johnson, Ba and possibly Ajose, though I'd rather keep him and get him firing
  • Options
    Think we should send Dasilva back already.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Naby Sarr signed until 2020. Good God, I'd forgotten about that
  • Options
    We have plenty of players but not enough quality in the vital positions.

If you want good strikers and attacking midfielders you have to pay the money. It is that simple.
  • Options
    Take away the players on loan and the ones out of contract this summer and the squad is still woefully inadequate.
    Add to this those that will be sold in the summer and it leaves another rebuild.
    Totally underwhelmed
  • Options

Take away the players on loan and the ones out of contract this summer and the squad is still woefully inadequate.
    Add to this those that will be sold in the summer and it leaves another rebuild.
    Totally underwhelmed

This is exactly what I was thinking as I read through the squad.
  • Options

Totally underwhelmed

Take away the children, the injured, the unfit, the midgets, the useless and the loanees and we have Solly standing on a box.
    Pretty much yes
  • Options

Totally underwhelmed

Take away the children, the injured, the unfit, the midgets, the useless and the loanees and we have Solly standing on a box.
    Did we get the box on a loan or did we buy it?
    Part exchange for that bloody sofa
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    Don't laugh me out of court but do we have a recall right re Sarr?

He has to be a better option than Johnson if Pearce, Lennon and Bauer are injured long term.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    LenGlover said:

Don't laugh me out of court but do we have a recall right re Sarr?

He has to be a better option than Johnson if Pearce, Lennon and Bauer are injured long term.

Sarr or Johnson.
    It's a bit like saying palarce or millwank
  • Options
    Far too many "ok" players; nowhere near enough quality to compete at the top end of this league.

Most worrying is that Robinson's comments about strengthening the team have gone from feisty to wimpy in a matter of weeks. After the visit to Duchatelet and the apparent decision not to invest the Lookman windfall into the team, Robinson seems prepared to settle for much less than he would have hoped or expected.
  • Options
    I posted this on another thread, all information from wikipedia, and it doesn't include u23 squad members:

CAFC first team squad: 26 (inc 5 loans) this includes the invisible man, Ba
    Scunthorpe: 27 (3 loans)
    Fleetwood: 32 (4 loans)
    Rochdale:32 (1 loan)
    Wimbledon: 29 (0 loans)
    Oldham: 22 (2 loans)
    Oxford: 27 (2 loans)
    Bury: 33 (4 loans)
    Shrewsbury: 27 (2 loans)
  • Options
    Davo55 said:

Far too many "ok" players; nowhere near enough quality to compete at the top end of this league.

Most worrying is that Robinson's comments about strengthening the team have gone from feisty to wimpy in a matter of weeks. After the visit to Duchatelet and the apparent decision not to invest the Lookman windfall into the team, Robinson seems prepared to settle for much less than he would have hoped or expected.

I do still feel like we have slightly too high expectations for League One. This isn't a brilliant league. And yes, I know we're in mid-table, but Holmes, Magennis, Pearce, Bauer, Rudd, Texeira, JFC, Watt, Solly are all top players at this level. Same might be said of in form Nathan Byrne, Nicky Ajose, and maybe even Andrew Crofts. The issue is we've never had all of those players (or the departed Lookman and Fox) on the pitch at once.

I agree with you Davo that we need some more quality, particularly in the attacking third. But I don't think we're that far away. I've made the same point over on the match preview thread that I think one of our biggest problems is that January just isn't meant to build a squad, it's meant to tweak squads. And here we are, once again, needing to rebuild a squad. And short of paying 1m for the likes of Dempsey or Reeves, we just may not be able to get players in with the quality we need.

It's a great lesson, once again, to build better squads in the summer. I think Slade has to carry the can for some of that, given how poor and immobile our team was.

Lastly, I'd have Naby Sarr back. I think he's very raw but there is a fair amount to work with there. But I don't know that calling him back now (depending on how long Bauer is out) would make a lot of sense. According to Wikipedia, he's played 17 times for Red Star this season, anyone have any idea how he's done?
  • Options
    Terrell Thomas back from Woking might be the easier way to go. At least he knows English football and is doing well there.

Worrying that the huge gaps that appeared in our squad were nearly a week ago, with the window open and no movement. 2 players with little game time and an EFL novice is the sum of our transfer movement, with quality leaving. Top 6 is disappearing over the horizon.
  • Options

Terrell Thomas back from Woking might be the easier way to go. At least he knows English football and is doing well there.

Worrying that the huge gaps that appeared in our squad were nearly a week ago, with the window open and no movement. 2 players with little game time and an EFL novice is the sum of our transfer movement, with quality leaving. Top 6 is disappearing over the horizon.

Agree with Thomas but it was probably a little too late to call him back for this game and Tex and probably Bauer will be back for the next match and Lennon can't be too far behind. Suddenly we're okay there and we've recalled a kid from a loan where he was doing well just to Sir on the bench for 2 games.
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

Davo55 said:

I do still feel like we have slightly too high expectations for League One. This isn't a brilliant league. And yes, I know we're in mid-table, but Holmes, Magennis, Pearce, Bauer, Rudd, Texeira, JFC, Watt, Solly are all top players at this level. Same might be said of in form Nathan Byrne, Nicky Ajose, and maybe even Andrew Crofts. The issue is we've never had all of those players (or the departed Lookman and Fox) on the pitch at once.

I agree with you Davo that we need some more quality, particularly in the attacking third. But I don't think we're that far away. I've made the same point over on the match preview thread that I think one of our biggest problems is that January just isn't meant to build a squad, it's meant to tweak squads. And here we are, once again, needing to rebuild a squad. And short of paying 1m for the likes of Dempsey or Reeves, we just may not be able to get players in with the quality we need.

It's a great lesson, once again, to build better squads in the summer. I think Slade has to carry the can for some of that, given how poor and immobile our team was.

Lastly, I'd have Naby Sarr back. I think he's very raw but there is a fair amount to work with there. But I don't know that calling him back now (depending on how long Bauer is out) would make a lot of sense. According to Wikipedia, he's played 17 times for Red Star this season, anyone have any idea how he's done?
    Agree about the lesson not being learned but not so sure it was down to Slade. With RD holding the purse strings tightly and Km doing her usual negotiating "masterclass" I suspect it was more about his targets/wish list not being delivered.

Something that I'm sure is now happening to Robinson. Only difference being that it seems Robinson can adjust his sights/comments to suit the constraints - but that doesn't lead to us having a high quality first eleven or a squad more able to cope with injuries and absences.
  • Options
    Davo55 said:

SDAddick said:

Davo55 said:

Agree about the lesson not being learned but not so sure it was down to Slade. With RD holding the purse strings tightly and Km doing her usual negotiating "masterclass" I suspect it was more about his targets/wish list not being delivered.

Something that I'm sure is now happening to Robinson. Only difference being that it seems Robinson can adjust his sights/comments to suit the constraints - but that doesn't lead to us having a high quality first eleven or a squad more able to cope with injuries and absences.
    But Slade is the one who decided to fight over Foley and Crofts as central midfielders. And we chased Louis Thompson, a Norwich reserve, until seemingly the 11th hour. If we're going to call for managers to have control over transfers (and I've stated many times I'd rather we had a Director of Football for continuity), then they have to have a broad scope of transfer targets. That, to me, is the exact reason why you don't want to give managers that power, as they have enough work coaching the team.
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

Davo55 said:

SDAddick said:

Davo55 said:

But Slade is the one who decided to fight over Foley and Crofts as central midfielders. And we chased Louis Thompson, a Norwich reserve, until seemingly the 11th hour. If we're going to call for managers to have control over transfers (and I've stated many times I'd rather we had a Director of Football for continuity), then they have to have a broad scope of transfer targets. That, to me, is the exact reason why you don't want to give managers that power, as they have enough work coaching the team.
    Not sure Jimmy Seed would have agreed with you!

But when managers come and go as frequently as they do now at Charlton, I can see your point.
    But most managers want at least some say in tranfers (third party ownership not withstanding of course!)
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

SDAddick said:

Davo55 said:

SDAddick said:

Davo55 said:

Not sure Jimmy Seed would have agreed with you!

But when managers come and go as frequently as they do now at Charlton, I can see your point.
    But most managers want at least some say in tranfers (third party ownership not withstanding of course!)
    There are a lot of great managers from the past who wouldn't agree with me, but I'd argue that the game has just changed so much. Gone are the days when Brian Clough can turn up at Dave McKay's house and not leave until he signs. With the amount of money spent, and as you said with the high turnover in managers, you need to make sure you're signing a player who will succeed.