Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The importance of Charlton to my business

Just had to share this - also to prove I do do some work inbetween posting on here.

As a marketing consultant, I occasionally have to try and find myself some new business - not my favourite task, but you have to do it. I got the courage together and called the Head of Marketing at a major bank. I did a little bit of project work for him about 18 months ago when he was at a different organisation, as was I. I've seen him once briefly since. I heard earlier this week about his new role, managed to get put through by the switchboard first time (miracle) and gave my name.

His immediate response was 'Never heard of you, who are you...but whatever happened to your cr*ppy football team last season?" We had a good chat and I'm meeting him next week.

Just goes to show the impression left behind by Charlton....

Comments

• Options
    im surprised you didnt put the phone down on him!

crappy indeed!
  • Options
    Why doesn't someone on here with an internet business offer to host the OS, providing a better service and saving the club cash, might even pay for a new womens team?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Weegie Addick[/cite]Just had to share this - also to prove I do do some work inbetween posting on here.

As a marketing consultant, I occasionally have to try and find myself some new business - not my favourite task, but you have to do it. I got the courage together and called the Head of Marketing at a major bank. I did a little bit of project work for him about 18 months ago when he was at a different organisation, as was I. I've seen him once briefly since. I heard earlier this week about his new role, managed to get put through by the switchboard first time (miracle) and gave my name.

His immediate response was 'Never heard of you, who are you...but whatever happened to your cr*ppy football team last season?" We had a good chat and I'm meeting him next week.

I normally get...,.."Aaaah. You're the other one"

Because they're clients I normally laugh, when in fact what I want to say is "Yeh. Funny! Never heard that before....C**t!"
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: CharltonDan[/cite]

I normally get...,.."Aaaah. You're the other one"

Because they're clients I normally laugh, when in fact what I want to say is "Yeh. Funny! Never heard that before....C**t!"[/quote]

I get this all the time as well, the last occasion being last week at a lunch with one of our biggest clients, turns out his a spurs fan that's NEVER been to a match, so not even qualifying as a fan!
  • Options
    ok, so if Simon Jordan came up to you and offered your company a big wad of cash to do work for him, would you?
  • Options
    Yeap, I don't choose our clients.
  • Options
    i would. business is business.
  • Options
    Mercenaries
  • Options
    So long as he paid up front...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Carter[/cite]Mercenaries

Pot, kettle. ;-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2007
    so long as he paid in cash upfront

Beat me to it Inspector
  • Options
    I wouldn't work for Jordan - you have to have some principles! (Mind you, I've worked for Fergus McCann at Celtic, David Murray at Rangers and Vlad the Impaler at Hearts before now...)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: SE10Addick[/cite]ok, so if Simon Jordan came up to you and offered your company a big wad of cash to do work for him, would you?

Yep...Then I'd spend the next 6 months stuffing prawns into his computer and sowing cress into his office carpet while he was out at the tanning salon.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]Why doesn't someone on here with an internet business offer to host the OS, providing a better service and saving the club cash, might even pay for a new womens team?

I have offered and am quite in with the IT Manager. I'm trying to save them money all over the place at the moment but it's a slow process.
  • Options
    Posted By: razil
    Why doesn't someone on here with an internet business offer to host the OS, providing a better service and saving the club cash, might even pay for a new womens team?

I have offered and am quite in with the IT Manager. I'm trying to save them money all over the place at the moment but it's a slow process.
    Maybe that's the problem, they should spend a bit more, get a decent web design agency to set up a proper CMS system for them and stick it on a server that can handle the volume of traffic that they get every now and again.
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Living in the South West, I work free-lance in software sales and it's always helpful to build a rapport with my clients.

Invariably, you have a couple of minutes chat about the lousy weather, holidays or whatever they've been up to - and frequently the subject turns to football.

Obviously, I've had my leg pulled and the jolly old p!55 ripped out of me because of Charlton's relegation - but it provides lots of repeat business and puts the dollars in my pocket.

But despite this, you'll be amazed at the respect given - people think Charlton is a 'proper' football club and always end up looking for our result.
  • Options
    i have a massive charlton flag and a framed picture of the valley in my office,had them there for 3-4 years now,
    i see have about 10-20 reps call on me a month along with customers visiting, and i tell you the first thing they say after they look at the flag is how well are the doing at the moment,or how did they go the weekend.
    I should be doing buisness with these guys but end up talking about charlton (and other teams whose names i don't want to remember cause theres a lot of glory hunters over here)
    but the amount of people that phone me to see how they have gone has grown each year,i wouldn't say they are charlton supporters but they know a lot about charlton now and keep an eye on how they are doing,even now we have been relegated a couple of them have phoned to see who come in and whos gone on the player front.
    and yes it helps me in the job i do