Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Movies thread

edited July 2007 in Not Sports Related
OK, lets have one of these.

Saw Shrek 3 last night, disappointing, not that funny, Mike Myers doesn't seem to be bothered doing a decent voice for Shrek anymore, and the story has gone to pot, but it'll take billions.

But, saw the trailer for Transformers and Simpson last night, and I can't wait for both, Simpson for the laugh, Transformers for 2 hours of turning the brain off and being entertained

Comments

• Options
    Four:Rise the silver surfer. Poor.
  • Options
    From the Kermode review of it, I was put off.

Oh and the Vue cinema in Greenwich is lush
  • Options
    New Die Hard is watchable, but nothing more.

Agree with the Shrek 3 analysis. Slightly worried that I have 22 year old mates who enjoyed it.
  • Options
    The lives of others - Excellent
  • Options
    Saw on theplane Wild Hoggs with John Travolta going and The Last Mimzy with Joely Richardson.

May of been because was on a plane, but disappointed with both. Was suprised Travolta did WH, seemed a lot beneath his normal films, was a road trip with older guys, but did have a few funny moments, if a bit silly. If i watched it properly i might change my mind.

Last Mimzy was a bit weird. Two kids find an elaborate box of toys that give them mystical powers. Couldn't really see who it was aimed at, a bit far out for kids and not strong enough for adults.
  • Options
    Watched Die Hard last week, thought it was good.

Didn't think the price was good though. £7.50 a ticket, SIX QUID for a hot dog and a bottle of water!!

Then they have the cheek to advertise before the film that we shouldn't pay £3 for a snide DVD!!!

Understand that the quality is not good on snides and it's bad for the film industry but bloody hell, that's a lot of money to watch a film and doesn't discourage people from keeping ZZ's mates in employment.

Only really go to pictures once maybe twice a year and there are films out I wouldn't mind watching but I think I'll wait for them to be on TV.
  • Options
    Might go and see Die Hard tomorrow night, if I can be bothered to turn right instead of left at the top of the esculators at North Greenwich.

Harry Potter for me next, then Transformers, then Simpsons.

Summer blockbuster glore!
  • Options
    Is it really that obscene Carter??? Compared to £48 for Chelsea away. Even £20 for a home match next year???
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: cunningstunt87[/cite]Is it really that obscene Carter??? Compared to £48 for Chelsea away. Even £20 for a home match next year???

Don't get me started on that!!

I think it's a total piss-take yeah. Same old story though, it was rammo in the cinema so as long as people keep coming they will keep charging what they charge.

Got a season ticket so the individual games don't bother me, the prices of away games are fuc......

No I'm not getting started, this is a film thread!!!
  • Options
    1408 looks really good and i'm looking forward to 'I am legend', 'rocket science', 'the bourne ultimatum', and i hope 'the Golden Compass' is good.

Looking forward to Harry Potter film but more to the book coming out.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Cost of going aside I fancy going to see Harry Potter as I'm a big kid at heart and haven't seen any of the films at the pictures.

The Simpsons looked funny as well
  • Options
    Oceans 13. OK, nothing more, give it a rest eh? Big fan of Pacino but poor in this. 6/10
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    - 1408 is not as good as you would think - the short story was better I would give film 6.5/10

- Vacancy - 4/10 - not that great

- Outlaw 7/10 - feels like it is missing something.

- Die Hard 4.0 - 8/10, Brillaint - thought it would be pish but very good action film!

- This is England 8/10 - Brillaint acting and good props/cutsomers to dipict the 80s.

- Transformers looks awesome actually - Thought it woul dbe a kiddies film, but definately is more adult orientated - gonna watch it tonight.

Last film I REALLY enjoyed and would recommend is THE PRESTIGE with Chritsin Bale and Wolverine actor from Xmen - also M Caine and D Bowie is in it - brillaint, must see film.

Cinemas - I pay all my taxes, but invest 40 quid in a DIVX playing DVD player - nuff said! Dont you hate how much cinemas charge for popcorn and carbinated water and post mixture (Coke)?
  • Options
    Haven't seen any of the die hards before, but saw 4.0 last night and fouond it very enjoyable. Now I'll go back and see how it compares to the others.

Saw Vacancy recently and found the plot to be a little thin. Kept expecting there to be a twist but it never came.
  • Options
    Diehard - 5/10. Adequate enough. Slightly confusing plotline. Not enough to warrant spending cash to see.

Carter - I don't think the cost of seeing a film is that much. I agree that the food and drink is vastly overpriced, but then thats an option you can take or leave.
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Saw Hostel 2 on dodgy copy and thought it was ok, about what you'd expect having seen the first one but nothing special.

Watched The departed and Outlaw and thought Departed was one of the best films I've seen. Outlaw was shite on the other hand, didn't really flow, which was a shame because it could have been really good with the plot and the actors but just seemed like a rushed film. Like Nick Love just wanted to sort out his football factory mates a wage.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Four:Rise the silver surfer. Poor.

Took my son to see this at the weekend. He said he liked it. I thought it was very poor with an ending that was beyond very poor.
  • Options
    I wanted to go and see outlaw too. so not worth it then.

Im looking forward to going to see Harry Potter....
  • Options
    Scrub round outlaw and go for the potter
  • Options
    Will be seeing The Simpson's, Ratatouille and Harry Potter over the summer. Looking forward to the Simpsons, Ok about Potter, not bothered about Ratatouille.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    if you want to go to a cinema in the real world then you cannot beat The Picturehouse in Greenwich. As for films all I've seen recently is Shrek 3 which is poor (apart from opening with a new Eels song) - SHrek was excellent, Shrek 2 was really good, now they have stretched it too far in a half arsed way, if you've got kids though you probably have little choice but to go!
  • Options
    Looking forward to Bourne Ultimatum next month
  • Options
    Oh by the way, can't we call it the 'Films thread' ?
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Our Niece and Nephew love:

- Arthur and the Invisible
    - Flushed Away (I secretly enjoyed this one as well!)
    - Monster House

The new Rambo film looks rediculous

BTW, Hostel 1 was 1000 times better than Hostel 2 - different director and basically a poor copy of the first.

I havent seen a film in years that I can say 'that was great' - Dont know if they are all run of the Mill or my epxctations have just gone up!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]Saw on theplane Wild Hoggs with John Travolta going and The Last Mimzy with Joely Richardson.

May of been because was on a plane, but disappointed with both. Was suprised Travolta did WH, seemed a lot beneath his normal films, was a road trip with older guys, but did have a few funny moments, if a bit silly. If i watched it properly i might change my mind.

Last Mimzy was a bit weird. Two kids find an elaborate box of toys that give them mystical powers. Couldn't really see who it was aimed at, a bit far out for kids and not strong enough for adults.

To see Travolta at his best catch "Hairspray" as soon as it gets a general release over here!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Carter[/cite]Didn't think the price was good though. £7.50 a ticket, SIX QUID for a hot dog and a bottle of water!!

Then they have the cheek to advertise before the film that we shouldn't pay £3 for a snide DVD!!!

You moan about spending £7.50, yet you'd rather pay £60 for a plane when you could ride the minibus for £20....

You're proper screwed up Danny boy ;-)
  • Options
    Talking of Harry Potter I really think the whole thing is just too far fetched. Ok I can except there is a bit of magic in the world, I wouldn't be surprised if a Unicorn had existed at some time, but who ever heard of a ginger kid with TWO mates? I mean, get real JK!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Medders[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Carter[/cite]Didn't think the price was good though. £7.50 a ticket, SIX QUID for a hot dog and a bottle of water!!

You moan about spending £7.50, yet you'd rather pay £60 for a plane when you could ride the minibus for £20....

You're proper screwed up Danny boy ;-)

Ah ha young Medders, plane ticket was aquired for only a score from a bloody good chap on this board. Facts need to be straightened my child ;-)

Plus I got the plus side of getting a body search before the plane. If I'd have gone with you 'orrible lot I'd have had an enema by Watford gap.
  • Options
    Did anyone see JK Rowling on Johnathan Ross' Hot or what?

She can wave my wand anytime...