Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Next Generation Protests : A Personal View

If you're not interested in protests or my personal view on things, here’s a tip – don't bother reading any further.

But I feel obliged to let people on this forum know that I have this morning stepped down from my role in CARD. That was a very difficult decision as I've been heavily involved from the outset . In that 3 1/2 years I have given a lot: time, energy, sleepless nights, family time, to try to get the cancerous Duchatelet out of our club. 

So why stop? Not because I am any less infuriated with Duchatelet’s wanton neglect and mistreatment of our club, Lee Bowyer and us fans. Not because I feel the protests have run their course , and not because of anything to do with my friends and colleagues in CARD. And not because of the occasional brickbats on here (the protests haven't achieved anything”, “all you did was throw some toys on the pitch”, “what are you middle-aged guys going to do”, “you're all talk”, “you spunked £50,000 up the wall”). And nor is it the childish abuse and threats thrown casually around on other fora. I don't get upset by idiots who have done nothing themselves but bitch to their online buddies about the efforts of others. 

It's because I think that the protests need new blood, new thinking and new energy - a next generation of protests and protesters

I am now convinced that despite all our efforts and all our hopes, Duchatelet will be our owner for this new season and, if we don't get relegated at the end of it, for at least another year after that. No sane person will ever meet his ridiculous demands. And he will continue to deny Bowyer the resources he needs until such time as Bowyer finally has enough and walks. And he will continue to sell any and all player assets. Dijksteel is the latest to join the premature exodus and I think it is more likely than not that our talisman Lyle Taylor will soon follow him out of the door. The academy will continue to be a productive line of revenue for Duchatelet Inc. but not for Charlton Athletic. The pain will go on.

CARD to a large extent reflects my personal values. I am 64, a retired HR director, a grandfather. I have operated way outside my comfort zone many times and have pushed the boundaries of both legality and acceptability on a few occasions in the past 3 1/2 years but I am never going to go over the line, get myself arrested or a criminal record.

But we've tried hard. We've thrown everything legal at Duchatelet and while it has made a disproportionately large impact in the media, has influenced some aspects of club management, and even arguably helped Duchatelet to make up his mind to sell, ultimately we have not yet succeeded in getting him out. His ego and the lost millions are holding him back.

So it's time for the next generation of protests from a new generation of protesters. Ones who are more prepared than I am to go that bit further. CARD and ROT still have a role to play but we also need something new and something edgy. Whilst, to be clear, I would never advocate violence, I hope that somebody finds a way to help Duchatelet decide that's enough really is enough. That the hassle isn’t worth it.

A word or two of advice for those wanting to step up. It's hard work. Very hard. You’ll use a lot of time, energy and emotion. You'll be elated when something goes well and you'll be distraught when it doesn’t - made all the more acute when all your hard work and imagination is rubbished by fellow fans. For every one protest that makes it to fruition there are 10 more that were seriously evaluated and rejected, and maybe another 50 that didn't make it past first base. I have not read all of the threads on here in recent days but I would wager that 90% of the ideas posted have been thought of, evaluated and discounted somewhere along the line.

As for me, I am continuing with Curb_It to run the Protest Fund. If LyleTaylor is sold, the transfer window slams shut on Charlton’s impoverished empty little hands, the season ahead turns into a disaster - the fund may well be needed more than ever.

I am also going to see through a protest which is currently in the pipeline, working with a group of people from CARD, ROT and a few of well-known posters on here. I won't for obvious reasons say too much but it will be something a little bit different. But then I'm out, as far as planning and orchestrating protests is concerned. Time for someone younger and perhaps braver than me to step up, and the more the better.

I’ll never give up my personal efforts to see the back of Duchatelet. If I can help anyone else with advice or views, I’m happy to do that. 

And here's to a few beers when we eventually winkle him out!

Comments

• Options
    Wait you had a role in CARD? I thought it was all Rick Everitt stirring things up as a bitter ex employee..........

Just kidding. Thanks for your dedication to this over the last few years
  • Options
    Can I just say thank you for all your time and efforts, it really is very much appreciated. Roland Out !!
  • Options
    Absolute top man - proper Charlton.

Happy and proud to call you a friend... you old git.
  • Options
    Thnak you Davo55 your efforts have been very much appreciated and it is a shame to see you go, although your reasoning is understandable.
    Agreed , same here ,thanks for your efforts !
  • Options
    Davo55 said:
    If you're not interested in protests or my personal view on things, here’s a tip – don't bother reading any further.

But I feel obliged to let people on this forum know that I have this morning stepped down from my role in CARD. That was a very difficult decision as I've been heavily involved from the outset . In that 3 1/2 years I have given a lot: time, energy, sleepless nights, family time, to try to get the cancerous Duchatelet out of our club. 

So why stop? Not because I am any less infuriated with Duchatelet’s wanton neglect and mistreatment of our club, Lee Bowyer and us fans. Not because I feel the protests have run their course , and not because of anything to do with my friends and colleagues in CARD. And not because of the occasional brickbats on here (the protests haven't achieved anything”, “all you did was throw some toys on the pitch”, “what are you middle-aged guys going to do”, “you're all talk”, “you spunked £50,000 up the wall”). And nor is it the childish abuse and threats thrown casually around on other fora. I don't get upset by idiots who have done nothing themselves but bitch to their online buddies about the efforts of others. 

It's because I think that the protests need new blood, new thinking and new energy - a next generation of protests and protesters

I am now convinced that despite all our efforts and all our hopes, Duchatelet will be our owner for this new season and, if we don't get relegated at the end of it, for at least another year after that. No sane person will ever meet his ridiculous demands. And he will continue to deny Bowyer the resources he needs until such time as Bowyer finally has enough and walks. And he will continue to sell any and all player assets. Dijksteel is the latest to join the premature exodus and I think it is more likely than not that our talisman Lyle Taylor will soon follow him out of the door. The academy will continue to be a productive line of revenue for Duchatelet Inc. but not for Charlton Athletic. The pain will go on.

CARD to a large extent reflects my personal values. I am 64, a retired HR director, a grandfather. I have operated way outside my comfort zone many times and have pushed the boundaries of both legality and acceptability on a few occasions in the past 3 1/2 years but I am never going to go over the line, get myself arrested or a criminal record.

But we've tried hard. We've thrown everything legal at Duchatelet and while it has made a disproportionately large impact in the media, has influenced some aspects of club management, and even arguably helped Duchatelet to make up his mind to sell, ultimately we have not yet succeeded in getting him out. His ego and the lost millions are holding him back.

So it's time for the next generation of protests from a new generation of protesters. Ones who are more prepared than I am to go that bit further. CARD and ROT still have a role to play but we also need something new and something edgy. Whilst, to be clear, I would never advocate violence, I hope that somebody finds a way to help Duchatelet decide that's enough really is enough. That the hassle isn’t worth it.

A word or two of advice for those wanting to step up. It's hard work. Very hard. You’ll use a lot of time, energy and emotion. You'll be elated when something goes well and you'll be distraught when it doesn’t - made all the more acute when all your hard work and imagination is rubbished by fellow fans. For every one protest that makes it to fruition there are 10 more that were seriously evaluated and rejected, and maybe another 50 that didn't make it past first base. I have not read all of the threads on here in recent days but I would wager that 90% of the ideas posted have been thought of, evaluated and discounted somewhere along the line.

As for me, I am continuing with Curb_It to run the Protest Fund. If LyleTaylor is sold, the transfer window slams shut on Charlton’s impoverished empty little hands, the season ahead turns into a disaster - the fund may well be needed more than ever.

I am also going to see through a protest which is currently in the pipeline, working with a group of people from CARD, ROT and a few of well-known posters on here. I won't for obvious reasons say too much but it will be something a little bit different. But then I'm out, as far as planning and orchestrating protests is concerned. Time for someone younger and perhaps braver than me to step up, and the more the better.

I’ll never give up my personal efforts to see the back of Duchatelet. If I can help anyone else with advice or views, I’m happy to do that. 

And here's to a few beers when we eventually winkle him out!

Great reading and I completely agree with you.

I'm sure most people feel the same way....even if I can't speak directly for them.

I personally really appreciate the huge amount of effort made here and I think you've done a great job.

It must be heartbreaking.

Putting everything into something....and not getting the deserved outcome.

I think you should be proud of yourself and I hope that, maybe in a year or so. You can reflect on this with pride.

Good luck to the people that replace and I'm sure they will do well.
  • Options
    Excellent work Davo, thanks for your efforts, rest assured they are appreciated, even if we are quieter in that than the keyboard worriers to whom you allude.
    I'm intrigued by the current project and will back it to the limits of my capabilities, whatever it turns out to be.

If our fear about LT's tenure at CAFC proves well founded, I believe and hope that the owner will have cast "the last straw" where we faithful are concerned - opened Pandora's Box, if you will? 

The departure of Charlton's abiding problem will warrant more than "...a few beers..." when that day dawns.
  • Options
    Thanks for all your hard work to try and save our club!

Ignore the trolls, CARD may not have achieved it's ultimate goal, but you have achieved LOADS
  • Options
    @Davo55 you are too modest and diplomatic to receive praise where it's due..to you.
    But I think you are a top top bloke, and I am in awe of your skills in diplomacy especially.
    Your efforts are well appreciated.
    Thank you.
  • Options
    Cannot thank you enough for you all your efforts @Davo55. As an enthusiastic protestor we often forget the incredible amount of work that makes it happen every time we gather on the streets of Charlton or St Truiden. 

Without the protests, this club would be falling down the leagues with the same shambolic rotation of foreign managers and players we had before, and the club would not be up for sale. 

So thanks @Davo55, @CARD, @ROT, @BELGIUM20 and everyone else. Time for the final push now. Let's do this. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    For sure, all your efforts (and the members of CARD and ROT) are hugely appreciated. Duchatelet will be gone, if not this season or even next, but when he does finally naff off back to Belgium the bubbly corks will be popping.
  • Options
    Great work Davo. The fact that he was persuaded to put the club up for sale - whilst the Oystons at Blackpool had to have the club legally removed from their possession, Sisu at Coventry seem to have no interest in leaving and Blackburn supporters seem to have accepted that they'll be run by mad chicken salesmen for the foreseeable - is a major achievement in itself, so great credit to you for that.

For what it's worth, I think all future protests need to be focussed on Belgium. Whilst I am certainly not suggesting that boycotters should return or that people should start buying stuff in the club shop again (I certainly won't be), I am starting to feel that hitting him in the pocket any further will merely lead to him punishing the team by selling players even more readily. The stuff in Belgium is what seems to get him out of his cave and onto the radio or writing deranged articles on the website - I think a constant barrage of humiliation on his doorstep is the key to forcing him to drop his asking price to something realistic.
  • Options
    Thank you for allowing me, a guy with lots of fabric and paint, a chance to be part of it.  Looking forward to the next phase and what we do next
  • Options
    Just wanted to simply add my appreciation to you for the many hours you've put into the campaign. Very glad to hear you're still keeping a hand though!

Thanks.
  • Options
    Thanks for your considerable efforts Davo.
    It seems you reached a similar conclusion to me, but about a year later.
  • Options
    Thank you and well done. 
  • Options
    Thank you for all your hard work @Davo55
  • Options
    Thanks for everything @Davo55
  • Options

Thanks for your efforts @Davo55

One of the good guys

• Options
    Trying to write something without it sounding like a ‘sorry you’re leaving’ message is hard. But as an outsider, you’ve done a fantastic job keeping this in the public eye and you’ve been a terrific spokesperson for the cause. Enjoy the break but I suspect you’ll still be around.

With regard to paragraph 6, I’ve had $88,000,0000 left to me by a long lost aunt. I’ll donate it to CARD if you let me have your bank details
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Well done @Davo55 much appreciated, I’ve been glad to help in my small way. 

As @Stu_of_Kunming says, ignore the trolls. They are only trying to cover their own inadequacies and have done nothing except moan. 
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Just a big heart felt vote of thanks from me to you and everyone who has given their time and effort into organising the protests.

Top man.
  • Options
    Sad to hear this news Davo, you tried your heart out........step forward the new champion?
  • Options
    Speaking as someone who has never met you, I really appreciate all the work you would have put into to get CARD to where it is today. Hope to meet you sometime and buy you a beer. Regards.
  • Options
    Thanks for all your hard work.
  • Options
    Great effort @Davo55 been a pleasure to meet you and many others through the protests, something which wouldn’t have happened. One day that big piss up will happen.
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Already said to you what I think, but you have understated your role in CARD. Whilst Rick's profile inevitably garners much of the attention, we know it's been a real team effort with different people to the fore throughout - but you've been consistent and key in its organisation and energy and in many ways the leading guy.  And not just in terms of what's been achieved, but the patience and wisdom you've shown when waiting or not proceeding is the best course of action.

Enjoy your retirement :wink:

PS. I know you only started a thread for the likes... 

• Options
    Thank you CARD has given us all hope during recent times, the protests have been well organised and original and encouraged me to be part of them which is not normally in my nature.
  • Options
    Wow. I wasn't fishing for kudos but i'm amazed and humbled by those lovely comments. Thank you all.
  • Options
    Cheers Davo