Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Best and worst, last game of the season

2»

Comments

• Options
    That Bolton game was great. 1-0 down at half time meant we were going down. Four good goals later and Bolton were down.

• Options
    Only good one I can think of was Hartlepool in 2012. Wolves in '96 was good too. Worst, Sheffield Wednesday in 1999, West Brom away in 2000 was an anti climax, not sure I've been to many others.
  • Options
    drewman said:
    Only good one I can think of was Hartlepool in 2012. Wolves in '96 was good too. Worst, Sheffield Wednesday in 1999, West Brom away in 2000 was an anti climax, not sure I've been to many others.
    The smurfs added an extra touch too!

• Options
    Bolton at home . Can’t remember what year ( around 1983 ) we needed to win to avoid relegation. I think we went one down but went on to win three or four one . 

We were one down with about 30 minutes to play.

Up stepped Killer with a couple of goals, Gritty got one (can't remember who got the other) and we won 4-1.

There's a great picture of Gritty celebrating his goal, with the East Terrace in the background knocking around.

Pretty sure the other scorer was Carl Harris
    What a player he was . 
  • Options
    Sending palarse down will always be my favourite 
    Like that worked out well......

Singing "we'll never play you again....". Too bloody right. They're in the Premier League whilst we languish in League 1.
  • Options
    All final games of the season are shit. 3 months before there is another meaningful match. 
  • Options
    Bolton at home . Can’t remember what year ( around 1983 ) we needed to win to avoid relegation. I think we went one down but went on to win three or four one . 

Up stepped Killer with a couple of goals, Gritty got one (can't remember who got the other) and we won 4-1.

There's a great picture of Gritty celebrating his goal, with the East Terrace in the background knocking around.

I might have mentioned about a 100 times that I bought and still have the video of the game.
  • Options
    Also Ian moores put them one up on 55 minutes and lot of Bolton dancing in bottom section of the old West stand.
  • Options
    Preston ‘75, my first year supporting Charlton. 
    Great game, 1 down but still won. The biggest 25k crowd the valley has ever held. Because of my age then I hadn’t seen that many games and I had never seen us lose. For a while I thought we would never lose if I went. We lost the opening game against Notts County 2-1. 
    The worst game was against Bolton. I can’t remember the year but they scored 4 times. They were promoted, beat us easily and had a large very happy following. Everything they were we weren’t. A real flat ending to a season. The highlight of the day was, Bolton had a man in a large inflatable Bolton costume on the pitch at halftime. A lad from the covered end ran half the length of the pitch to knock him over. Best effort from Charlton all day.
  • Options
    Great game, 1 down but still won. The biggest 25k crowd the valley has ever held. Because of my age then I hadn’t seen that many games and I had never seen us lose. For a while I thought we would never lose if I went. We lost the opening game against Notts County 2-1. 
    The worst game was against Bolton. I can’t remember the year but they scored 4 times. They were promoted, beat us easily and had a large very happy following. Everything they were we weren’t. A real flat ending to a season. The highlight of the day was, Bolton had a man in a large inflatable Bolton costume on the pitch at halftime. A lad from the covered end ran half the length of the pitch to knock him over. Best effort from Charlton all day.
    Yes, 0-4 vs Bolton, last match of the 75/76 season. Big build-up in the press as Killer needed 2 goals to reach 30 for the season - but he never got a sniff, total anti-climax. 

Rather than the inflatable man having anything to do with Bolton, I think Charlton’s match sponsor was to blame for this atrocity. I’ve avoided Graham Webb Hairdressing ever since. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    AshBurton said:
    Yes, 0-4 vs Bolton, last match of the 75/76 season. Big build-up in the press as Killer needed 2 goals to reach 30 for the season - but he never got a sniff, total anti-climax. 

Rather than the inflatable man having anything to do with Bolton, I think Charlton’s match sponsor was to blame for this atrocity. I’ve avoided Graham Webb Hairdressing ever since. 
    Thanks for the info there. For 40 odd years I thought it was a Bolton thing and it turns out it was a bloody local hairdresser. If I had hair I’d avoid with a bit more passion.
  • Options
    We were in the Black Horse in Sidcup High St and someone said "Let's go to Charlton" so we headed off to The Valley and what a cracking game it was.
  • Options
    AshBurton said:

My memory is Bolton gave him so many chances they had to be on a back hander from Killer if he made it - he'd have pocketed £10,000 from one of the dailies as the first player to reach 30 goals for the season.
  • Options
    Also Ian moores put them one up on 55 minutes and lot of Bolton dancing in bottom section of the old West stand.
    What bottom section ?
  • Options
    Was a flat bit in front of 1St row of seats about 2 metres wide from pitch .
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    Hartlepool, and promoted as champions.

The atmosphere that day was febrile.  Build-up to the game was a party, serenaded by an opera diva in elegant gown, wooing us with a classical rendition of 'Valley, Floyd Road'.  Waves of endorphins sweeping the crowd.  Then, the whole stadium abuzz, peering skyward at a dot in the heavens.  Was that it, a plane, according to rumours...?  Suddenly the Red Devils landed in clouds of red smoke, folded their parachutes, and knelt in formation in front of the dugouts.  And we took to the field between a guard of honour comprising Hartlepool players and match officials, all applauding.  I wept.

And Kermorgant's goal to cap it all.  Have another squint at it on Youtube.  I swear it's from a tighter angle and even more impressive than Van Basten's famous volley from a similar position.  The most brilliant goal to crown a record-breaking season.    
  • Options
    Getting swept aside by Palace in the play off semi final was a low point.  
  • Options
    Just remembered the Birmingham game as well, how can I forget that. Bloody Jasper Carrott!

Some of the best defending I've ever seen. Unfortunately then got all kinds of missiles thrown at us as we were leaving the ground.
    Best goalkeeping performance I can recall watching (Sasa).
  • Options

Bolton finished bottom that year.
  • Options
    Was a flat bit in front of 1St row of seats about 2 metres wide from pitch .
    Oh right you mean the walkway ? :smile:
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Yes sorry mate. Mind you before my time there was a paddock there I recently learned from this forum.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

Best

1. Play-off Final - surprised nobody mentioned it (it was the 'last' game of the season!)

2. Sending the Stripeys down

3. Preston 1975

4. Battle of the Bridge 1988

Worst

Too many to mention!

Probably because everyone else read the original post.