Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sunderland Worried?

Comments

• Options
    edited April 2019
    While we play the "what if" game, what if Phillips had been ever-present in goal?
  • Options
    I know these things supposedly 'average out over a season' but the 3 points dropped due to that farcical Peterborough penalty plus Grant's penalty miss away to Peterborough will likely cost us.

No dig against you but Grant's miss against Peterborough is beginning to piss me right off - i.e. Why is no one talking about the Rochdale game when Taylor had a penalty saved that day too, and we got nothing from that game thanks to that!!

At the same time though I'd still love the FA to explain why they refused to rescind Taylor's red card - By refusing to comment on the reason for me says they dont have a reason and that was just as costly as the Peterborough penalty at the start of the season which was also given for reasons that the referee couldnt explain

Fair point, had forgotten Rochdale.

But then we had a late penalty v Accrington, a last gasp equaliser at Luton, a late winner home to Shrewsbury, late winner at Burton etc so we can't complain too much.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    We are talking about the games we lost that might cost us - what about the games we've won where, to be honest, we didn't deserve to? A 46 games season levels out the good and bad luck. If we get an automatic, we deserve it - if we finish in the play-offs then, over a 46 game season we deserve it.
    Are you trying to suggest that the Burton games (H) and (A) werent tactical masterminds from Lee Bowyer where we deliberately let teams dominate us?
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    We are talking about the games we lost that might cost us - what about the games we've won where, to be honest, we didn't deserve to? A 46 games season levels out the good and bad luck. If we get an automatic, we deserve it - if we finish in the play-offs then, over a 46 game season we deserve it.
    Are you trying to suggest that the Burton games (H) and (A) werent tactical masterminds from Lee Bowyer where we deliberately let teams dominate us?

Precisely - in fact as I walked back to the car after the Burton away game I was passed by a geyser on a horse shouting 'stand and deliver' - and it wasn't Adam Ant!
  • Options
    somehow they seem to be a team that lacks long term confidence .. they get on top and then fade away .. the games against us at the Valley and the loss to Pompey @ Wembley are cases in point .. the pressure of their huge fan base and massive home crowds could be counter productive .. if they lost McGeady they would be in trouble

BUT when all's said .. they are in an auto promotion slot !! .. oh that we all should be so worried
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    Burton will feel very aggrieved to get zero points from us for a start!
  • Options
    I think Sunderland will be very worried, and not just from us. Pompey 3 points behind them and in better form. Their game could be crucial
  • Options

If we get auto promotion never mind Manager of the Month, Bow should get manager of the bloody season!

With of course, great assistance from JJ.

• Options
    While we play tge "what if" game, what if Phillips had been ever-present in goal?

Last night I couldn't help but think that we are all worried about Aribo and others leaving but Phillips has developed into an amazing keeper, through playing regularly this season.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Luton is the tough one. 

I think losing Grant and having Taylor suspended has cost us, that being said it does even itself out over the season. 

I think 2nd is sadly a little out of reach. We need to keep on cracking away, if we are in the playoffs's I hope we keep our head. 
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

Spot on. As the great Lennie Lawrence used to say, there are no false positions after 42 games (or 46, in our case).
  • Options
    If we win our remaining games and Mackems lose two, GD will be a maximum of five.  All we need is one or two games where we thrash sides and we are in business.
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    That opening day defeat will cost us the autos 
    Coventry at Home Peterborough at Home!
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    They don't count! Simples :-)
  • Options
    "We do better against the better teams". Therefore I think we will beat Luton on Saturday.

But, I think we might lose to Oxford (because it's Robinson) and I think The Gills might snatch a point ( because they can be a Bogey Team for us).

Of course, I would love to see us get to second and gain automatic promotion but, if not, I am confident we will win the playoffs. 
  • Options
    We have more than enough about us to beat Luton on Saturday. All we can do is keep winning, the pressure is on Sunderland.
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    If we win our remaining games and Mackems lose two, GD will be a maximum of five.  All we need is one or two games where we thrash sides and we are in business.
    I can't see them losing 2 games. I can see them drawing games though, so their GD won't get worse

We won't thrash teams either so I suspect our GD will be worse than the teams currently above us
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    Burton will feel very aggrieved to get zero points from us for a start!
    Bugger 'em, not our problem.

They can take out their frustrations on Pompey, Luton, and Posh in their remaining fixtures.
  • Options
    you can get 50/1 us finishing top 2 ...
    can't see it happening at all
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We will win Saturday and that will start Luton’s capitulation as I backed them at 14/1 for the league in my lucky 15 at the start of the season.
  • Options
    BR3red said:
    Portsmouth have a bigger chance than us. 2nd in form league behind us.

Sunderland GD may settle it though.

Exiting times though as everyone may bottle it ....

Win Saturday and they will all bottle it a bit more...
    Will come down to final day and Sunderland v Portsmouth in my opinion. I fancy Portsmouth to do it.
    it's not the last day of the season. it's the week before. They both also play midweek so hAVE 2 games left after they play each other 
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

the voice of reason, well said that man
  • Options
    We have simply been to inconsistent won games when we shouldn’t, and lost games when we should of won, I agree regarding grant as think we would of had a decent chance. 
  • Options
    you can get 50/1 us finishing top 2 ...
    can't see it happening at all

Where? 
    Saw sky bet doing 33/1
  • Options
    Paddy Power had us at 60/1 at the weekend, now 40/1 and 7/2 to get promoted.
  • Options

Can't see it happening but 40/1 is too good to ignore. 
  • Options
    stonemuse said:

Can't see it happening but 40/1 is too good to ignore. 
    50/1 is even better ;)
    always had account with PP so keeping it that way