Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Wycombe v Charlton | Tue 09 Apr | 7:45pm KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Wycombe Wanderers v Charlton Athletic
Tuesday 9th April 2019 … 7:45pm Kick-Off
Referee: Antony Coggins (Oxfordshire)*

Introduction
As a player Lee Bowyer was known for his no nonsense attitude on pitch, a battling midfielder he never knew a game lost until it was well and truly over… Now as a Manager, those attributes are clear to see in the squad that he has put together, not seen since the days of a Chris Powell team in 2011/12, this is a team who refuse to accept anything less defeat which could in itself create an interesting last few weeks of the regular season… This Tuesday the Addicks make the shorter trip to Buckinghamshire, knowing that a win will once again put us on the cusp of the automatic slots, we’re at a stage of the season where we need a bit of luck and help from other teams… With Lee Bowyer at his backroom staff at the helm, you have feel as though they might just pull it off!!

The Opposition
Name: Wycombe Wanderers | Manager: Gareth Ainsworth
Ground: Adams Park

Opposing fans probably wouldn’t like to see this yet with Queens Park Rangers sniffing around for a new Manager you have to question why they don’t take a look at what has been achieved up the M42 in the last few seasons.

Gareth Ainsworth is a Manager typical of the lower leagues at present and no doubt deserves a chance further up the football pyramid – Having called time on a footballing career that spanned 23-years and over five hundred appearances; Ainsworth would venture into club management at Wycombe, it would take him six years to get the Chairboys back to League One yet with him at the helm you always had the feeling it would happen sooner rather than later and QPR would be making a good decision if they were to attempt to get their own battling midfielder to return to Loftus Road!!

Perhaps fortunately for Wycombe, clubs will no doubt look at the season he’s performed at this level and be may be put off by the fact that our opponents tomorrow night are staring at a potential speedy return to League Two – The fact remains that tomorrows match will be just as difficult as Saturday; the Chairboys know how to score (despite their inability to defend at times) and like last time out against Portsmouth were involved in their fourth 3-2 scoreline this season

Charlton Team News
Of course second spot is the ideal scenario for both fans, players and management alike but it is equally a very tough ask and wont be a surprise to any if we were to ultimately fall short – The alternative will be the Play-Offs with the priority will be to remain the form team in the Division… With the Easter period on the horizon it wouldn’t be a surprise to see a few squad rotations, the main one being at right-back with Chris Solly and Anfernee Dijksteel sharing responsibilities in that regard.

Despite the high card count against Plymouth on Saturday there was no doubt relief all around when the Addicks suffered no further suspensions ahead of tomorrow night – Krystian Bielik though (who has struggled with an ankle injury) could be rested, thankfully Bowyer is spoilt for choice in terms of replacement with Ben Reeves, George Lapslie and Darren Pratley all waiting in the wings for further game time

Phillips
Dijksteel | Bauer | Pearce | Purrington
Reeves | Cullen | Aribo
Williams
Taylor | Vetokele

Substitutes Bench: Maxwell | Solly | Sarr | Fosu | Pratley | Lapslie | Parker

Prediction
For large periods of the season Charlton have threatened to go on a run of form yet injuries have often stopped that from happening – You have to go back nine games (albeit four of those being draws) to find our last (and sole) defeat of 2019 which marks our best run of the season - With the Play-Offs on the horizon its imperative to keep that run going with another win tomorrow evening… Potential Champions: Luton Town await on the weekend, its time to make our rivals sit up and take serious notice of the threat sneaking up from fifth!!

*Thanks as always to @CharltonMan2016 for the Referee Details

Comments

• Options
    Charlton are top 3 on current form & Wycombe are bottom.
    I think 1-3 to the rip roaring goal scoring addicks. See you there. 
  • Options
    Comfortable away win 4-0.
  • Options
    6 points this week, I'm convinced of it.....
  • Options
    Hoping for another 2-0 on the road. 

How many of us going?
  • Options
    Hopefully another win (2-0) but as the others at the top (bar Barnsley who are wobbling a bit) keep winning I can't really see us getting auto spot. Still, we are nailed on for the paly-offs.
  • Options
    2 -1 to the Addicks

Igor scoring one.
  • Options
    Six games to go and we have to try and win all six.
    3.1 Charlton to send us into the Luton match full of confidence .
  • Options
    No game is easy, blah blah

In reality this game should be easy as Wycombe are on a terrible run. Get an early goal and I can see this being a very good night for us. Wycombe's minds might also be on Saturday, where they have a real 6 pointer against Chris Powell's Southend, a crunch game at the bottom, followed by games against Rochdale, Walsall and Wimbledon which will decide their future. 

A bit of sensible squad rotation tomorrow I imagine, depending on who needs the rest. Your team @ForeverAddickted sounds about right.
  • Options
    That team but I think maybe Fosu in place of Williams.

They’ll tighten up naturally as they’ll be aware of our form and of course their own, but I think we shall see enough.

0-1 Bauer.
  • Options
    When we play away, don't you need the ability of Sarr to play the 50 yard pass even if we don't have Grant to run on to it. Taylor or Vetokele may get their first and split Wycombe who must be low on confidence.
    We need to be on the front foot from the first whistle. 

If, and if only we lose to Luton, do we get the cotton wool out and give Taylor, Sarr etc a rest before the big 3 games at end of season.

1-3 to the form team.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    3-1 Charlton win and our third completed double in a row.
  • Options
    Igor to score a Reza vs leeds style peach in the last 5
  • Options
    Never as easy as people think. First half performance at Plymouth went unpunished but that won’t always be the case. I still worry that if we go a goal behind we might struggle to break teams down. 1 - 1
  • Options
    Surprised at how many are predicting us to concede a goal!

I think this maybe an open game as they well may decide to go for broke as they have probably decided on the must win games and any positive result against us will be a bonus.

I am not sure how of their formation at the moment, but no doubt there will be the fair share of the lump up top. I think we will have too much for them, just hope our players get some protection. 0-2
  • Options
    Akinfenwa came off the bench on Saturday, we'll need to deal with him. I know they both prefer to play on the left, but for a one off game Sarr AND Pearce together?
  • Options
    Complacency sets in. 
    They get dirty. 
    Taylor booked.
    Phillip's injured. 
    LB sent to the stands.
    1.0 defeat 
    Jitters installed for play off run in. 

• Options
    Something has to come off the rails...  surely?

I know,  Don't call me Shirley.

1-0 to Wycombe
  • Options
    Just looked up the ref. Very young and mainly Div2 and below.

We need to take a leaf out of Plymouth’s style and make sure tackles against us result in a cry of pain and at a couple of rolls.
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    Redrobo said:
    Just looked up the ref. Very young and mainly Div2 and below.

We need to take a leaf out of Plymouth’s style and make sure tackles against us result in a cry of pain and at a couple of rolls.
    Already taken charge of the Charlton games @ home to Fleetwood and away @ Luton early in the season - Gave 12-Yellow Cards with five being issued to Charlton players over the course of those two matches

Dont know if LL's stats go back that far for the Referee?
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    Dazzler21 said:
    I'd settle for one half as good as that goal. Having given him stick first half for a lacklustre performance I was positioned right behind that shot and dumbstruck when he hit it; goal written all over it when it left his boot. Think that was the night when Hamer also pulled of a worldy save in the dying minutes to give us a crucial three points. COYRs
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I predicted a reshuffle and 'resting' players before the Pilgrims game .. wrong .. I predict a reshuffle and 'resting' players before the Chairboys game .. 
    Bowyer needs to assess the priorities surrounding this game, the Luton game and the unlikely prospect of auto promotion if we win the next and last six games .. 
    Wycombe are fighting to stay in L1 and will not roll over easily. 
    Talking of rollers, it will be a very important point for our players to bear in mind to be aware that two ton Akinfenwa might step on your toes or (even worse) fall on top of you .

Wycombe Wanderererers 0 v CAFC 3
  • Options
    RedChaser said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    I'd settle for one half as good as that goal. Having given him stick first half for a lacklustre performance I was positioned right behind that shot and dumbstruck when he hit it; goal written all over it when it left his boot. Think that was the night when Hamer also pulled of a worldy save in the dying minutes to give us a crucial three points. COYRs
    Was a penalty from Ross McCormack that Hamer saved wasnt it?
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    I am normally quite negative about predictions however I have a good feeling about tomorrow night. 

Wycombe 2 Charlton 1

;) 
  • Options
    I predicted a reshuffle and 'resting' players before the Pilgrims game .. wrong .. I predict a reshuffle and 'resting' players before the Chairboys game .. 
    Bowyer needs to assess the priorities surrounding this game, the Luton game and the unlikely prospect of auto promotion if we win the next and last six games .. 
    Talking of rollers, it will be a very important point for our players to bear in mind to be aware that two ton Akinfenwa might step on your toes or (even worse) fall on top of you .

I'm constantly thinking the same (as per my Preview line-up) yet as @SoapBoxSam says... There gets to the stage when you have to question if Bowyer will rest key players what with the extension potentially coming up.

i.e. At present we've still got a chance of second so you surely continue to play your best team until that hope has been extinguished - Then you've got the Play-Offs themselves, once we miss out on second (If we do) do we rest players and so risk defeat or do we keep the squad the same, if we do the former and lose a couple then we've got to worry about returning to form at the right time
  • Options
    Everything points to a Charlton win. Team with the worst form in the league against the team with one of the best, but QPR have won one 1 in 15 and that was at home to high flying Leeds so these things do happen. Still, I'm confident we can pickup a 1-2 win.
  • Options
    edited April 2019

I'm constantly thinking the same (as per my Preview line-up) yet as @SoapBoxSam says... There gets to the stage when you have to question if Bowyer will rest key players what with the extension potentially coming up.

i.e. At present we've still got a chance of second so you surely continue to play your best team until that hope has been extinguished - Then you've got the Play-Offs themselves, once we miss out on second (If we do) do we rest players and so risk defeat or do we keep the squad the same, if we do the former and lose a couple then we've got to worry about returning to form at the right time
    an accurate assessment of what will become known in years to come as 'Bowyer's Dilemma'  ((:>) .. But seriously, injury/fatigue, red or yellow cards, all need to be taken into account .. Whatever, I will not be surprised if Bowyer decides either to really go for it with his 'best eleven' or conversely takes the conservative path and rests a few between now and the play offs .. I suspect that most CLIfers would like him to go all out for second spot to save us all from the nerve jangling, nail biting, cliff hanging episode which is the play offs
  • Options
    I’m going to this one and hopeful of an away win. Hope we keep our foot on the gas and don’t assume our playoff spot is secure just yet (in reality it pretty much is). Not convinced Reeves and Williams work together in the same midfield but I’m not the greatest fan of either Lapslie or Pratley.  vetokele needs as many games as possible to get fitter but I’d like to see Parker get a game to keep his hand in just in case we end up having to rely on him. 
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    No pies will be on sale this Tuesday .. this man is to blame