Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post Match Views: Charlton v Sunderland : 5th January 2019

Comments

• Options
    PWR but I can’t remember a game so different in each half before.
    Woeful in the first half, truly dreadful, really poor backwards passing was all we did. Think we got the Ball in their box twice with no real threat until maybe the 42/43rd minute.
    Second half was a total turnaround and but for a couple of narrow margins/poor decisions we had them beat in all but score line. Really enjoyed it, didn’t even notice the cold.

Roland Out......
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    Funny how it works, before the game I would have said take a point all day and now I'm gutted we didn't win by at least 3 goals.

It wasn't a game of two halves imo, we come on very strong with around 15 to go in the first half, second half starts and more of the same, absolutely battered them. Dreadful one on one by Taylor, kicked it right at the keeper, Grant could have done better for his chance, Sarr unlucky not to knock it down for Taylor and I think Pratley missed a pretty clear one as well. Sunderland should count themselves lucky our players clearly didn't have their shooting boots on today.

We knocked it about fantastically, had great pressure and our wing play was also pretty tidy at times. They defended for their lives at the end and were imo one of the most cynical sides we have played. Max Power could have been sent off arugably, Fosu was clearly taken out twice, one wasn't even called for a foul and the other the player didn't get booked. Taylor got taken out and the ref bottled a booking again. In all honesty a shit ref. If we play like that every game until the rest of the season we will be up there easily.

Unlucky to the lads I see and I cannot wait to make the trip to Shrewsbury now
  • Options
    Another standout was the lack of offside calls during a close fought game.
  • Options
    The mark of a good manager?

What he does at half time!

Great effort by Bowyer and JJ. We noticed how long Bowyer spoke with Pratley shortly before half, time a long chat with outstanding results, no doubt underlined over a cup of tea and a Jaffa cake at half time!
  • Options

Another standout was the lack of offside calls during a close fought game.

Wasnt there just the one when Maja came back from an offside position in the second half?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Spanish said:

Apologies for repeating most of the above but that sideway passing crap, negative possession, at home, when losing is totally frustrating and pointless. When we upped the anti from the end of the first half in to 2nd, Sunderland looked VERY WORRIED ! Second half was incredible, Taylor unplayable, plenty promising signs from JW. It is no surprise that Phillips lacks confidence having been overlooked when Steer was with us. We need another keeper. The marking for their goal was schoolboyesque.

Need to make the most of our opportunities.

Please now Roland, give us the best news ever....

Can’t disagree with that
  • Options
    Mostly skipped through everyone's posts but think @PaddyP17 gets it spot on with his opening remarks... What an excellent advert for this level!!

Two honest teams that went for the win, neither sat back and both teams at times were forced back - From the opening exchanges I dont think I've seen a side pass better than Sunderland this season (and have seen both Barnsley games who I think are equally good); they could have been out of sight within 20mins but themselves were wasteful and whilst Maja was excellent (relieved when he went off) I thought that Wyke was your typical Striker at this level who could be standard for any team at this level and was never really dangerous

For Charlton I made my feelings known at half-time about those who hadnt shown up but come the second half there wasnt a red shirt who didnt put in the effort for Bowyer!!... Pratley I thought was unfortunate in their box a couple of times and did well getting forward whilst Fosu caused them endless problems (sadly Ref got the free-kick right on the line correct) - Only disappointment in that second period for me was the disappearance of Albie Morgan who I felt had another good 45mins but to have played the full Walsall match and then the majority of this one was testament to his character.

Man of the Match though was a VERY close call between Naby Sarr and Lyle Taylor with the latter probably just edging it - Naby though has really improved all of a sudden at Centre-Back and loved not his late goal line clearance but his sweeping tackle out on the Left when it surely looked as though the Sunderland player would be clear, it wasnt just being able to sniff out the danger but the fact he came out of the challenge with his ball at his feet and then proceeded to join the following attack.

Failure to win makes me think we'll have to settle for the Play-Offs but dont think we'll be reliant on squeezing into them at the death
  • Options
    After that early shock we were, well, shell shocked.

The high press pinned us back and Sunderland were brave enough to push both full backs up the pitch at the time, often leaving it two on two at the back.

I looked to see if Karl Robinson was back with the endless, meaningless passing around the back five.

But we finally went longer, hit Taylor a lot with diagonal balls and put them under some pressure.

Flukey but deserved equaliser and made for a really great game to watch.

Hope the new owners were there to catch a glimpse of what this club can be.

And all with half the starters missing.

Nearly ran over @Addick in SW16 on the way home as he checked his phone while crossing the road.
  • Options
    Big contrast in number 9s, ours was a handful throughout and theirs was very poor. Keep Taylor fit and we have a chance of promotion
  • Options

Big contrast in number 9s, ours was a handful throughout and theirs was very poor. Keep Taylor fit and we have a chance of promotion

I dont think thats a problem!!

When he went down early in the second half he looked in some discomfort but still carried on

Leads me to think he'd need to be hit by a bus to be out injured
  • Options
    Really enjoyable match, bar the first half hour. Funniest moment was one of the blokes behind me thinking Jonny Williams was Egyptian :joy:
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Thought he would replace Dijiksteel and `Fosu at halftime. We showed them much too much respect first 30 minutes. I think we then realised they are not very good. Taylor was unplayable second half. Amazing that their goal on minute 2 was their only shot on target.
    On another we would have nicked it, but never mind. We actually watched a game of football, it’s been a long time.
  • Options
    masicat said:

Thought he would replace Dijiksteel and `Fosu at halftime. We showed them much too much respect first 30 minutes. I think we then realised they are not very good. Taylor was unplayable second half. Amazing that their goal on minute 2 was their only shot on target.
    On another we would have nicked it, but never mind. We actually watched a game of football, it’s been a long time.

It wasnt according to the BBC stats which says they had two

I definitely remember Phillips getting down low to stop a shot late in the second half too
  • Options
    Great to see and hear a much fuller house and this added to a great second half made this game a highlight of the season. Pratley was the only one who didn’t raise his game. In fact Albi should have stayed on and he taken off. Johnny looked very good and made a difference when he came on. Yes it was a game of two halves and we showed them far too much respect and looked a bit nervy with all the poor passing going on. But second half with a noisy crowd is what we should all be happy to see. Yes we could have done with the three points but hey sometimes you have to just appreciate the moment. Hopefully we may get a few more next home game.
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    I 've liked Henners post above @Addick in SW16 not the bit where he nearly run you over though :wink:
  • Options

Spanish said:

Apologies for repeating most of the above but that sideway passing crap, negative possession, at home, when losing is totally frustrating and pointless. When we upped the anti from the end of the first half in to 2nd, Sunderland looked VERY WORRIED ! Second half was incredible, Taylor unplayable, plenty promising signs from JW. It is no surprise that Phillips lacks confidence having been overlooked when Steer was with us. We need another keeper. The marking for their goal was schoolboyesque.

Need to make the most of our opportunities.

Please now Roland, give us the best news ever....

Don't think Phillips was lacking confidence, his kicking isn't best but his throwing was top drawer.
    He looked very uncomfortable and certainly didn't seem to be on the same wavelength of the defenders....