Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Lack of English managers in England - why?

Comments

• Options
    I’ve done coaching badges upto B, and Scouting upto 3. After those levels, the course prices aren’t cheap. You’re looking at thousands. I am not saying they should be free, but to encourage the younger generation to get into coaching/managing, the price may be worth looking at.
    I’m 31, and I could possibly go down the route of paying for this somehow, but my main priority is to pay for a roof over my head and supporting the family. Can not afford to leave my job, ao any youngsters who wish to do it, start early, as you’ll regret not doing so, like I do.
  • Options
    _nam11 said:

I’ve done coaching badges upto B, and Scouting upto 3. After those levels, the course prices aren’t cheap. You’re looking at thousands. I am not saying they should be free, but to encourage the younger generation to get into coaching/managing, the price may be worth looking at.
    I’m 31, and I could possibly go down the route of paying for this somehow, but my main priority is to pay for a roof over my head and supporting the family. Can not afford to leave my job, ao any youngsters who wish to do it, start early, as you’ll regret not doing so, like I do.

Likewise... Would love to start my own coaching badges, almost did about 10 years ago with a Youth Team in Petts Wood yet got a job up in London not long after chatting with the organisers of the team and didnt continue as wouldnt have had the time to get back of an evening

Sadly dont regret it either because of the costs when you start getting higher up with the badges, its probably the first thing that needs to change as think its more expensive to do them here in England than anywhere else
  • Options
    _nam11 said:

I know a few that have got their A licence, but went to Northern Ireland to do the course as the FA price was simply too much. I'm not sure if the differentiation is still that great but if being away for a bit is an option, that might be a route to go down?
  • Options
    I wonder, if like young English pl

Lee Johnson (Bristol City)
    Chris Wilder (Sheffield United)
    Dean Smith (Aston Villa)
    Neil Harris (Forgotten who he manages)
    Dan Crowley (Lincoln)
    Lee Bowyer (Charlton)
    Frank Lampard (Derby)

All English who have done rather well of late and many doing so without much of a budget either - Always wonder what they could do with some serious backing

Kenny Jackett too
  • Options
    I’d say it’s because football has now become so tactical and technical. English football has never been either of these, therefore how can they teach it and implement it in a team?
  • Options
    The standard cost of the UEFA 'A' licence is €530 in Germany, €1,200 in Spain, €2,350 in Ireland and £4,390 in England. Attaining the 'Pro' licence can cost €7,550 in Ireland and £7,595 in England (figures should be treated with caution as they vary across sources).
    —-
    €530?!?!? I need to learn German!
  • Options
    dizzee said:

I’d say it’s because football has now become so tactical and technical. English football has never been either of these, therefore how can they teach it and implement it in a team?

Understanding that is not hard, the problem has been managers like Redknapp don't really do tactics. Allardyce on the other hand saw the benefit of utilising tactics and with most of the club's he has had he's used nullifying tactics and why not? Outnumber the opposition in midfield, use a centre forward who understands they need to hold on to the ball. Use wingers who can draw fouls in areas that set pieces can be brought into play, stick a full back in midfield to ensure the opponents number 10 knows someone is looking to tackle him.

Whatever people thought and think of Allardyce his side's always, always looked to play in a set shape, his players looked like they knew what they were doing.

Having the attitude to learn something new is all managers need, the personnel helps but then you look to play to your strengths as opposed to making players fit in the one system you know or like.

Funnily enough it's like management in general, if you treat every team you have the same it might work once but mostly you will end up pissing people in your team off. You have to understand what troops you have and what they are good at, sometimes you bring people in to do certain things but you have to understand that people are all different and have differing strengths. Utilise them

One of the best unsung managers for this and understanding this is Danny Wilson in my opinion.
  • Options
    I reckon that the PL has players from many different countries and the common standard language is English but a facility with other languages helps the manager get the best out of the players.

Nearly every top flight manager will be able to speak English,

In other leagues, I think it is much more necessary to be fluent in the national language. Very difficult for an English manager, let’s say Colin Powell, to lead a team in the bundesliga. It is not just the players but the press, the stake and shareholder management that needs to be done in local language at times.

So many managers can come to the UK, but only a few can leave the UK or indeed move between Spain and Germany, Germany and France, anywhere and Portugal,
  • Options
    edited January 2019

I reckon that the PL has players from many different countries and the common standard language is English but a facility with other languages helps the manager get the best out of the players.

In other leagues, I think it is much more necessary to be fluent in the national language. Very difficult for an English manager, let’s say Colin Powell, to lead a team in the bundesliga. It is not just the players but the press, the stake and shareholder management that needs to be done in local language at times.

So many managers can come to the UK, but only a few can leave the UK or indeed move between Spain and Germany, Germany and France, anywhere and Portugal,

I think this is why someone like Guardiola deserves a lot of respect - learning German to coach Bayern then English for a year before coming to City. If English coaches had this discipline it would help. Learning a different language is not easy but can be done with hard work and application - not sure how many English ex pros would be bothered enough to do it. When Moyes, Neville and Adams managed here recently they couldn't be bothered to even try. Foreign coaches seem to have that drive that English coaches don't have, and that will to succeed personally must transfer well into their professional role.
  • Options

I think this is why someone like Guardiola deserves a lot of respect - learning German to coach Bayern then English for a year before coming to City. If English coaches had this discipline it would help. Learning a different language is not easy but can be done with hard work and application - not sure how many English ex pros would be bothered enough to do it. When Moyes, Neville and Adams managed here recently they couldn't be bothered to even try. Foreign coaches seem to have that drive that English coaches don't have, and that will to succeed personally must transfer well into their professional role.
    Yeah I think this is also why English or British players don't travel so frequently to play elsewhere

I've felt a bit ignorant for years about my comparative lack of Spanish or French compared to the natives of those countries when they all seem able to speak my own mother tongue.

Part of it is necessity, British speaking countries seem like lands of milk and honey so they are taught from an early age, also the fact that a lot of employment opportunities exist translating for brits abroad in tourist hotspots that mean you don't have to get a job sweeping up of you work in tourist areas. I know it isn't as simple as that but it's 3 in the morning and I'm trying to be concise

Let's again though go back to tactical naivety of British coaches and managers. Our fair isle has produced a lot of very decent and successful players who have had fine careers at home but had no experience of how things are done differently. Look how long it took to understand how important diet and all the 1% things like peripheral vision training, hyperbaric chambers and ice baths are.

And then that well known progressive thinker Redknapp will come out and say it's all a load of cobblers and pay Kanu 60 grand a week and play innocent when pompeys house came crashing down
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Outside of maybe Howe, I can't see any English manager that deserves to be at the top level of the game in management.

And even with Howe I feel like he's got a good thing going at Bournemouth, which he may not be able to replicate anywhere else. Bit like Moyes.

Howe is bright
  • Options
    edited January 2019

Dean Smith (Aston Villa)
    Dan Crowley (Lincoln)
    Lee Bowyer (Charlton)
    Frank Lampard (Derby)

All English who have done rather well of late and many doing so without much of a budget either - Always wonder what they could do with some serious backing

I would bet good money that Lampard (and probably Gerrard) will get a premier league club before any of the first 6 on your list.
  • Options
    There is so much money in the Premier league they can look to managers with strong records for big European clubs. They would have to look lower to find an English manager and they can afford to look higher. It isn't that English managers are not good enough, but it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy.
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    How far is 'English' to be broken down? certain English people suffer from far more discrimination than others, which makes this quite an unanswerable question.
  • Options
    edited January 2019

Dean Smith (Aston Villa)
    Dan Crowley (Lincoln)
    Lee Bowyer (Charlton)
    Frank Lampard (Derby)

I would bet good money that Lampard (and probably Gerrard) will get a premier league club before any of the first 6 on your list.
    Certainly don't ever see Wilder being picked up by a Premier League and think the same for all others apart from Crowley maybe - Like you say, apart from Lampard and Gerrard, the only way those five will manage at the top flight will be if they win promotion

Who was even the last English Manager to be appointed at a Premier League club who hadn't won promotion to it before?

Brian Laws - Burnley?
  • Options

Dean Smith (Aston Villa)
    Dan Crowley (Lincoln)
    Lee Bowyer (Charlton)
    Frank Lampard (Derby)

Certainly don't ever see Wilder being picked up by a Premier League and think the same for all others apart from Crowley maybe - Like you say, apart from Lampard and Gerrard, the only way those five will manage at the top flight will be if they win promotion

Who was even the last English Manager to be appointed at a Premier League club who hadn't won promotion to it before?

Brian Laws - Burnley?
    Hodgson last season.
  • Options
    edited January 2019

Dean Smith (Aston Villa)
    Dan Crowley (Lincoln)
    Lee Bowyer (Charlton)
    Frank Lampard (Derby)

Brian Laws - Burnley?
    Hodgson last season.
    But he got experience of managing in the Premier League and top flights before it all got silly with money so his reputation preceeds him from what he's achieved abroad - i.e. How many English Managers were there in the Premier League in 1997 when he was appointed Blackburn Manager, even then he was coming from Inter Milan where he'd almost won the UEFA Cup the year before

I was more thinking of a Manager who hasnt been abroad and solely been managing in the Football League before getting a chance in the Premier League - Makes you wonder on that basis if its worth Managers looking abroad from the Football League to cut their teeth

Paul Clement and Swansea is another who falls into that bracket
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    Solidgone said:

English people are too lazy to do the job

A bit like fruit picking/harvesting.
    Dryliners
    Brain surgeons
    Nurses
    Bar staff
    Football managers
    Car washing

England has never produced to right calibre of people to do the above
  • Options

Metropolitan elitist!
  • Options

Metropolitan elitist!
    Not sure what that is, but I'm sure English people are too lazy to be one
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Do foreign managers make a net contribution to the country/economy? Have the numbers been run for this one yet?

If not then they need to be very careful as I have had it on very good authority that they will be rounded up and kicked out of the country due to the previous voting of the anti immigration 52% (of the percentage that voted) of the country. No ifs, no buts.
  • Options

Metropolitan elitist!
    So much hate in that post. Where's a moderator when you need one.
  • Options
    Think another factor might be the amount of punditry work available to English ex-players in comparison to other countries. For example, here in Spain there is loads of football on but the show starts a couple of minutes before the game and finishes straight after the game finishes, with just adverts and first half highlights at half time. In comparison for the Premiership they wheel out various ex pros to give questionable 'expert' views.

In Spain and possibly other countries there are nowhere near the amount of punditry work available, so many more going into coaching - often at youth level, then work their way up.
  • Options

Metropolitan elitist!
    So much hate in that post. Where's a moderator when you need one.
    I dont know, but some people are of the firm opinion that English folk are far too lazy to moderate
  • Options

Do foreign managers make a net contribution to the country/economy? Have the numbers been run for this one yet?

If not then they need to be very careful as I have had it on very good authority that they will be rounded up and kicked out of the country due to the previous voting of the anti immigration 52% (of the percentage that voted) of the country. No ifs, no buts.

I think you've got the wrong thread for this kind of thing. Totally irrelevant and odd.
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    Have a whoosh, Moosh
  • Options

I think you've got the wrong thread for this kind of thing. Totally irrelevant and odd.
    Absolutely relevant and in no way odd.

See what the top mod said above.
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    The thread is organically moving in another direction
  • Options

I think it's more a case of some residents of Madrid having to hand their sense of humour in at the start of every day :wink:
  • Options
    edited January 2019

I think it's more a case of some residents of Madrid having to hand their sense of humour in at the start of every day :wink:
    Just seemed a bit irrelevant to the conversation to be honest, but guess it is pretty funny. Maybe it might be one way to get more English managers in the Premier League! At least no one ignored this comment like your previous one about English managers though ;)