Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

I'll meet you on the dark side of the moon

2»

Comments

• Options
    Riviera said:

cabbles said:

Riviera said:

Pointless.

Not challenging you here mate but genuinely interested to understand why you think it’s pointless?
    No problem but what is the point of going the moon? Near or far side. There is nothing there.
    From what I understand it can definitely be used as another vantage point for space exploration. Personally, I think human civilisation is thinking about the next step in our evolution and I think conquering and or expanding onto other planets and meteorites plays a big part in that. On the face of it. It appears as a cold and barren terrain, but the robot could uncover all sorts of info that could potentially be beneficial as we continue to uncover stuff about the universe

Look forward to hearing about what it finds and what comes of this
  • Options
    Chizz said:

Stig said:

Chizz said:

Chizz said:

It's not the dark side of the moon; it's the far side of the moon. But I assume everyone knows that.

When your cultural reference goes right over
    some people's head.

You're mistaken (again) if you think that. The number of times the conflation of that album and the Chinese landing point has been made on various media for days has made it a dull "pun".

But the achievement should be lauded: Russia won the "space race" against the USA in the last century; so it's fascinating to see China trouncing India this time round.

What next, I wonder.
    Yes, Gagarin was ‘officially’ the first man in space.
    Now, I’m not a great one for conspiracy theories but it’s widely thought that the Ruskies had tried on more than one occasion to get a manned flight into space but failed, resulting in the death of an unknown number of astronauts.They simply kept on trying until they succeeded, irrespective of the loss of life.....so little wonder they won the race, they were simply prepared to continue failing until they ‘struck lucky’ whereas the Yanks were of course ‘hampered’ by their ethical respect for life.
    I don’t say I necessarily believe it but I certainly don’t discount it either.

The Russians launched the first satellite (Sputnik 1) and the first human in orbit (Gagarin). Where they filed was with their (unmanned) lunar probes, all but one of which failed on take-off, the remaining one missed the moon.

My favourite conspiracy theory between the Soviets and the Americans is the story of how they both solved the problem of writing in low gravity. The Americans (it was said) spent years and millions of dollars developing, manufacturing, testing, refining and patenting sealed ball-point pens which were designed to produce a continuous flow of ink within the chamber to the ball-point, and thus able to write without the help of gravity. The Russians just used pencils.
    Except is wasn't NASA that developed the space pen is was a private company. As soon as they were available commercially the Russians bought them because pencils aren't actually a good solution - the graphite dust is really hard to control and is potentially dangerous.
    I guess you've very cleverly demonstrated the issue with conspiracy theories by picking me up on my use of the word "NASA".

By singling out that one word and carefully explaining how wrong I am to have used it and by detailing how, by contrast, it was a private company who developed the space pen, you've shone a light on the process around conspiracies and how they develop, evolve and morph.

Because, if you go back and look at what I wrote, you'll see I didn't mention NASA.
    I've shone a light on nothing. You said "The Americans", the implication being that it was NASA because that's who was running their space programme.

I don't believe conspiracy theories develop through people using synonyms and alternative linguistic constructs. Conspiracy theories develop through bored people trying to make their lives more interesting. Now I've shone a light.
  • Options
    Stig said:

Chizz said:

Stig said:

Chizz said:

Chizz said:

It's not the dark side of the moon; it's the far side of the moon. But I assume everyone knows that.

When your cultural reference goes right over
    some people's head.

You're mistaken (again) if you think that. The number of times the conflation of that album and the Chinese landing point has been made on various media for days has made it a dull "pun".

But the achievement should be lauded: Russia won the "space race" against the USA in the last century; so it's fascinating to see China trouncing India this time round.

What next, I wonder.
    Yes, Gagarin was ‘officially’ the first man in space.
    Now, I’m not a great one for conspiracy theories but it’s widely thought that the Ruskies had tried on more than one occasion to get a manned flight into space but failed, resulting in the death of an unknown number of astronauts.They simply kept on trying until they succeeded, irrespective of the loss of life.....so little wonder they won the race, they were simply prepared to continue failing until they ‘struck lucky’ whereas the Yanks were of course ‘hampered’ by their ethical respect for life.
    I don’t say I necessarily believe it but I certainly don’t discount it either.

The Russians launched the first satellite (Sputnik 1) and the first human in orbit (Gagarin). Where they filed was with their (unmanned) lunar probes, all but one of which failed on take-off, the remaining one missed the moon.

My favourite conspiracy theory between the Soviets and the Americans is the story of how they both solved the problem of writing in low gravity. The Americans (it was said) spent years and millions of dollars developing, manufacturing, testing, refining and patenting sealed ball-point pens which were designed to produce a continuous flow of ink within the chamber to the ball-point, and thus able to write without the help of gravity. The Russians just used pencils.
    Except is wasn't NASA that developed the space pen is was a private company. As soon as they were available commercially the Russians bought them because pencils aren't actually a good solution - the graphite dust is really hard to control and is potentially dangerous.
    I guess you've very cleverly demonstrated the issue with conspiracy theories by picking me up on my use of the word "NASA".

By singling out that one word and carefully explaining how wrong I am to have used it and by detailing how, by contrast, it was a private company who developed the space pen, you've shone a light on the process around conspiracies and how they develop, evolve and morph.

Because, if you go back and look at what I wrote, you'll see I didn't mention NASA.
    I've shone a light on nothing. You said "The Americans", the implication being that it was NASA because that's who was running their space programme.

I don't believe conspiracy theories develop through people using synonyms and alternative linguistic constructs. Conspiracy theories develop through bored people trying to make their lives more interesting. Now I've shone a light.
    So "Americans" typically implies "NASA"? Got it.

On another subject, I thought Europe were brilliant in the Ryder Cup against NASA last year.
  • Options
    It does when you are talking about a sixties space programme, yes.
  • Options
    Chizz said:

"There is no dark side in the moon, really. Matter of fact, it's all dark. The only thing that makes it look light is the sun."
  • Options
    cabbles said:

Riviera said:

cabbles said:

Riviera said:

Pointless.

Not challenging you here mate but genuinely interested to understand why you think it’s pointless?
    No problem but what is the point of going the moon? Near or far side. There is nothing there.
    From what I understand it can definitely be used as another vantage point for space exploration. Personally, I think human civilisation is thinking about the next step in our evolution and I think conquering and or expanding onto other planets and meteorites plays a big part in that. On the face of it. It appears as a cold and barren terrain, but the robot could uncover all sorts of info that could potentially be beneficial as we continue to uncover stuff about the universe

Look forward to hearing about what it finds and what comes of this
    I wouldn’t hold your breath...
  • Options
    Riviera said:

Chizz said:

Riviera said:

cabbles said:

Riviera said:

Pointless.

Yeah. Like Everest. And the poles. And the oceans. And Australia.

Why did we ever bother?
    There's cricket in Australia you fool.
    Yes, but only until the Indians leave again at the end of the season.
  • Options
    Heard a radio program about Apollo 8 over Christmas.

I was surprised that the giant Saturn V rocket stood about as high as a 36 story building. It generated at max power more energy that was required to run the whole of the UK at peak time. Sitting atop this were three very brave men indeed. He went on to say that after successfully achieving Earth orbit the rocket spent some time reaching the speed required to head into space, towards the stars. This point he argued was the greatest moment in the history of human enhancement.

I thought about that for some time. I doubt that many would agree with him, but I wonder how future generations will look back at it? Remember, the Wright Brothers only took to the air in 1903 and just 65 years later the manned Apollo 8 left Earth orbit, reached Moon Orbit and returned safely.

I do believe that space travel will be for the eventual benefit of mankind, but only one step can be taken at a time. There is a new impetus to space travel now, technology is moving at an astonishing rate and I reckon that colonisation of Mars will take place in the near future. This is only a practice stage in the quest to find a permanent alternative for people to live. As Elon Musk once said, “The colonisation of other planets could be essential in the survival of humanity”.
  • Options

The dark side of the moon gets as much sunlight as the other side - it is just we never see it!

Not true. The moon rotates on its axis slightly quicker than it rotates us, by less than a day so you'll see it during an average life time. Although there is evidence that a luna day is getting shorter which will eventually make you right for a couple of weeks in a couple of thousand years time!
  • Options
    Chizz said:

Riviera said:

cabbles said:

Riviera said:

Pointless.

Yeah. Like Everest. And the poles. And the oceans. And Belgium.

Why did we ever bother?
    Corrected for you - don't diss Australia.