Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Two-footed tackle breaks defender's leg. "But I got the ball". Red card or not?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Two footed have a laugh! It's a very unlucky accident for Joe Gomez and that's about it. Not a foul and sure Joe would feel the same.

Unfortunate and hope he has a swift recovery.
  • Options
    Rob Holding out for 9 months

Unlucky for Gomez but it's knee injuries that are a real disaster for a player's career. Holding was finally establishing himself in the team, by the time he returns no doubt Arsenal will have signed 2 new CBs
  • Options
    I've watched it over and over. Don't think it's a foul - it's a really good challenge.

However, the way Burnley tackled that match in general, coupled with Gomez really unfortunately getting injured, has probably lended bias to the foul/card argument.

But that was a very good challenge.
  • Options
    If that is a red card I would have been sent off in every game I ever played. It’s a good tackle and if Gomez had made it people would be talking about how good it was.

Gomez was unlucky and seems fairly brittle which would be a massive shame as he will skipper England to Euro or World cup glory if he stays fit.
  • Options
    Not even a tackle from behind, it was from the side & he had every right to go for it. yes the ball "MAY" have gone out or JG could have just got a cross in which could have led to a goal for the scousers. It's all very well watching a clip after the game & talk about the position of play on the pitch. The ball was there to be won & he did so, unfortunate for Joe but if the positions were reversed everyone would be talking about a great tackle, 100 % committed etc etc
  • Options
    I take it back... That second angle shown makes it clear, lovely tackle but position on the pitch makes it look a rash challenge.

I can't call it a foul. Very unfortunate.
  • Options
    Not a red for me. Wouldn't consider that a two footed tackle for one, the photo looks bad but to me his Right leg is trailing more than tackling for me. Its strong, especially when the player is facing away from goal, but wouldn't consider it a Red. Probably not even a foul if im honest.
  • Options
    sam3110 said:

Not a foul, people have their CAFC bias glasses on, if Pearce made that challenge 90% of people on here say how great a tackle it was

I'm not a fan of Pearce, but agree if any of our players put it in, I would champion it like Sarr's the other week.

Before people attack my dislike of Pearce, he's a good hardworking centre back and i'd certainly not drop him... He is dirty though and I like honest clean footballers.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

sam3110 said:

Not a foul, people have their CAFC bias glasses on, if Pearce made that challenge 90% of people on here say how great a tackle it was

I'm not a fan of Pearce, but agree if any of our players put it in, I would champion it like Sarr's the other week.

Before people attack my dislike of Pearce, he's a good hardworking centre back and i'd certainly not drop him... He is dirty though and I like honest clean footballers.
    No need to bring your sexual preferences into this debate. :wink:
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

He didnt break his leg, he fractured it and is only out for 6 weeks, if it was a proper leg break it would be longer than 6 weeks out

Oh well that's OK then! What's the state of the injury got to do with the shocking tackle?
  • Options
    Chizz said:

Mee is lucky not to be sent off never mind not even booked .. it looks to be from behind and two footed .. never saw this live but the (tiny) photo is damning

That's the worst possible picture of the whole tackle. On its own, that single shot looks absolutely terrible. The tackle wasn't as bad as that single image looks.

But... it was two footed, both feet off the ground, he "scissored" him. And, on the mitigating side, he won the ball.

For my money, it's a straight red.
    You're spot on Chizz, apart from 3 things.

It wasn't two footed, both feet weren't off the ground and he did not scissor him.
    It was a fair tackle and how Gomez got a fracture from that heaven knows.
    A trip to Specsavers is required I think.
  • Options
    Mee's tackle was reckless, from behind and uncontrolled. Any one of those can be sufficient for a red card. Two or more should always result in dismissal. For the official(s) on that occasion to impose no sanction for the foul play is at best a gross error, or more likely in my view, conscious non-compliance with the laws of the game.
    Whether or not Gomez was hurt or the degree of any injury is entirely irrelevant.
    Bone and ligament injuries very often owe more to (bad) luck than much else - 2 cases in point: running I jumped down 5 or 6 steps, a height of some 4 feet, I missed my landing, rolled the ankle over with all my body weight and momentum and got up with nothing more than a sprain which recovered fully in 3 days - a colleague, slipped off one step, fell no more than 6 inches, rolled that ankle resulting in a joint dislocation and 3 bone breaks, surgery, bolts, plates, 3 months no weight bearing, indefinite physiotherapy and no expectation of a full recovery.
    Remember Coventry's David Busst? - no foul, just a collision and career ending multiple compound fractures.
  • Options
    Good tackle with his left foot, with right leg tucked under. Gomez very unlucky imo.
  • Options
    edited December 2018

Not a red for me. Wouldn't consider that a two footed tackle for one, the photo looks bad but to me his Right leg is trailing more than tackling for me. Its strong, especially when the player is facing away from goal, but wouldn't consider it a Red. Probably not even a foul if im honest.

The ref didn't consider it a foul either.
  • Options

Also, what's the need for a tackle like where the ball is on the pitch?

Its certainly rash from Mee in regards to the position on the pitch; Gomez is going no where, concentrate on blocking the cross

Also, what's the need for a tackle like where the ball is on the pitch?

Its certainly rash from Mee in regards to the position on the pitch; Gomez is going no where, concentrate on blocking the cross
    Mee is a player I have always liked .. but in this case he was totally out of order .. Gomez had seemingly given up on getting the ball before it went out of play, he was semi 'relaxed' and Mee clattered him, simple as that .. after a good last season Burnley have nosedived, the players and manager are panicking a bit and want to show they still have the right stuff ..
    they have been a hard and physical but generally pretty fair team whenever I've seen them, however, incidents like this will nor endear them to the public outside Burnley or, probably more importantly, to referees and the media .. Dyche will maintain he doesn't give a toss, but he should and probably does in his heart of hearts
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    He's coming from a dangerous angle that almost guarantees he's going to wipe Gomez out, but it's not two footed or uncontrolled, his right leg is tucked up under his arse from the moment he throws himself into the tackle, and his studs on his left leg are pointing down - he clears the ball with the stop of his instep, not the sole of his boot.

The level of aggression in the tackle is not proportional to area of the pitch it is made in or the danger of the situation to Burnley's goal. Tackling from behind like that is to be discouraged but similar ones are made every week without a player getting seriously injured. We don't want aggressive tackling gone from the game entirely. Booking, and sincere commiserations to Joe Gomez for a bad but somewhat unfortunate injury.
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    I would say that any tackle that breaks an opponents leg is dangerous. Otherwise, the player wouldn't break/fracture his leg!
  • Options

Chizz said:

Mee is lucky not to be sent off never mind not even booked .. it looks to be from behind and two footed .. never saw this live but the (tiny) photo is damning

That's the worst possible picture of the whole tackle. On its own, that single shot looks absolutely terrible. The tackle wasn't as bad as that single image looks.

But... it was two footed, both feet off the ground, he "scissored" him. And, on the mitigating side, he won the ball.

It wasn't two footed, both feet weren't off the ground and he did not scissor him.
    Thanks for clearing that up for me, I appreciate it. Just one thing: which foot was he standing on when he made the tackle?
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    Chizz said:

Chizz said:

Thanks for clearing that up for me, I appreciate it. Just one thing: which foot was he standing on when he made the tackle?
    His right foot was dragging along the turf when he made the one footed clearance with his left foot.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Chizz said:

Chizz said:

He was sitting on his right foot when he made contact with the ball.

I feel sorry for JG as he hasn't been that lucky with injuries to say the least but I think he was just unlucky with this. He certainly hadn't given up on chasing the ball & imo would have got to it & hit a cross on the run. The defender had every right to make the challenge, ask the ref or the linesman who was standing a yard from the incident.
  • Options
    Did Gomez break his leg in the tackle or because of the way that he hit the advertising hoardings behind the goal line after the tackle ? It might be irrelevant if the tackle was fair but not if it wasn’t as the recklessness of the tackle caused the injury even if he clattered the advertising .
  • Options

I would say that any tackle that breaks an opponents leg is dangerous. Otherwise, the player wouldn't break/fracture his leg!

Not necessarily, a seemingly fair and innocuous challenge can break a leg of the timing is right (or wrong, depending on your perspective.) Obviously dangerous challenges are the ones more likely to cause serious damage but it can be done very easily.
  • Options
    Were the 2 shoulder dislocations (against Walsall?) caused by bad challenges or unlucky falls? Both players out for a lot longer than 6 weeks
  • Options

Nothing wrong with that tackle at all. Slid in & cleared the ball with one foot & then trailing leg caught Gomez. Unless you are one legged your trailing leg always has the possibility of catching the player. It's a contact sport ffs. Give a player a card for thst & might as well pack it in & take up dominoes instead.

Spot on. Can’t believe anyone would think that a red. It’s not even a foul. I’m all for cutting out dangerous tackles but there is absolutely nothing wrong with that one.

• Options
    The law states that:

A direct free kick is awarded if a player commits any of the following offences against an opponent in a manner considered by the referee to be careless, reckless or using excessive force:
    charges
    jumps at
    kicks or attempts to kick
    pushes
    strikes or attempts to strike (including head-butt)
    tackles or challenges
    trips or attempts to trip

If an offence involves contact it is penalised by a direct free kick or penalty kick.

Careless is when a player shows a lack of attention or consideration when making a challenge or acts without precaution. No disciplinary sanction is needed

Reckless is when a player acts with disregard to the danger to, or consequences for, an opponent and must be cautioned

Using excessive force is when a player exceeds the necessary use of force and endangers the safety of an opponent and must be sent off

If the referee considered that the tackle wasn't careless, reckless or used excessive force, then it's not a free kick. So, really, all the referee has to decide is whether one player breaking another player's leg - either by the tackle itself, or by the tackle causing the player to fall awkwardly - is "careless", "reckless" or "using excessive force".
  • Options
    In my view that's a great tackle. If the BFG or Naby did that I'd be up out of my seat applauding! Unfortunate that the lad was injured, but there's no way that's a foul, let alone a red card. Wishing JG a speedy recovery obviously. Shame for him as he's been excellent so far this year.
  • Options
    The conflicting views on here, from great, fair tackle to straight red, all probably having seen the tackle at full speed and slow motion, simply demonstrates how difficult the ref's job is in cases like this.
  • Options
    One day they will make tackling a yellow card offense. Cruyff once said that if you have to tackle, its because you have no idea what you are doing.
  • Options

He didnt break his leg, he fractured it and is only out for 6 weeks, if it was a proper leg break it would be longer than 6 weeks out

I didn't think bookings and red cards were issued on the seriousness of any resulting injuries