Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Aren't we just slightly over reacting?

Comments

• Options

thenewbie said:

Massively overreacting. We've always been shit in the cups and anybody that was expecting different today was deluding themselves. With a paper-thin squad, already suffering from injuries, it was the right thing to do.
    I don't understand the need for a big day out in the 3rd round.

You wanna pay for my tickets and travel then ? . Don’t tell me it was an overreaction.
    Did you really expect anything different?
    Yes . Otherwise I would have stayed at home .
    Then frankly, more fool you. Bowyers never once given any sign of caring about a cup run, we've had some tough games and a spate of injuries and a busy period ahead of us. Anyone expecting a team anywhere near full strength today was only ever deluding themselves.
    Thanks . I’ll tell my kids that next time they tell me they don’t
    want to go to Charlton because they are not sure if their favourite players will be there . More fool them eh?
    Yes, you should. Next question please.
  • Options
    Croydon said:

Massively overreacting. We've always been shit in the cups and anybody that was expecting different today was deluding themselves. With a paper-thin squad, already suffering from injuries, it was the right thing to do.
    I don't understand the need for a big day out in the 3rd round.

You wanna pay for my tickets and travel then ? . Don’t tell me it was an overreaction.
    Did you really expect anything different?
    Yes
    If you really believed that then I refer you to my earlier post that you were deluding yourself.
    From Bowyer's point of view, would he be remembered for getting us to the third round and a 6-0 defeat at Chelsea or Arsenal or would he be remembered for achieving promotion?
    Clive, there's a second string side and then there's the squad that Bowyer selected today. None of us went today expecting our starting 11 but we've put out stronger u23 sides this season. The bench summed it up, it wasn't on.

And your last line assumes that promotion is assured because he rested players, but it isn't at all.
    Believe me, under this owner promotion is far from assured.
  • Options
    Basically some of you are saying Bowyer should have come out and announced his team way before the game, also giving Doncaster our team? Don’t we go to support Charlton Athletic as a football club, not just Charlton Atheltics best 11?
  • Options

Selection could have been better in an ideal world. YES. Certain things didn't allow the situation to be like that. We will feel a lot worse if we go out in the play-offs and we have the best available to us playing. Let's just get a grip of reality.

I honestly couldn't care less about the cup. Let's get promoted and Roland out.
  • Options

Selection could have been better in an ideal world. YES. Certain things didn't allow the situation to be like that. We will feel a lot worse if we go out in the play-offs and we have the best available to us playing. Let's just get a grip of reality.

I honestly couldn't care less about the cup. Let's get promoted and Roland out.
    Why not both?
  • Options

There are some people with the hump, I get that, in my opinion if you thought any different would have happened yesterday then I'm a bit miffed.

Knives being sharpened for Bowyer if we don't win next 2, Bowyer lost all my respect, Bowyer and Jackson can fk off, players can't play 2 games in a week.

This is the tosh ive read.

Who we gonna get if we all want Bowyer out, Karel Fraye again.

Unreal

I can't believe people are calling for Bowyer to be sacked
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

There are some people with the hump, I get that, in my opinion if you thought any different would have happened yesterday then I'm a bit miffed.

Knives being sharpened for Bowyer if we don't win next 2, Bowyer lost all my respect, Bowyer and Jackson can fk off, players can't play 2 games in a week.

Unreal

He isn't but there were a few discerning shouts yesterday towards him, mainly at the end.... I don't get this cant play two games a week. If i said to my boss, you would get better out of me on a Thursday and Friday if you let me have Monday to Wednesday off, i know what he would say.
  • Options
    Drawing a big club in the next round wouldn’t have just been about having a nice day out or the club making a few quid.
    It may have put us in the national spotlight for once - the club with the mad, non-existent owner
  • Options

Unreal

He isn't but there were a few discerning shouts yesterday towards him, mainly at the end.... I don't get this cant play two games a week. If i said to my boss, you would get better out of me on a Thursday and Friday if you let me have Monday to Wednesday off, i know what he would say.
    I know he (CPL) weren't, but he said other people were.....
  • Options
    If a big club in the next round of the cup is as good as it's going to gey at the moment, the team and manager should be going all out to achieve that imo
  • Options

Win the next two games and this will be quickly forgotten about

Lose the next two and the knifes will be sharpened.

Let's see what happens.

I've got the knife out ready.
  • Options

Couldn't be bothered to read 7 pages on the post match thread after reading the 1st one.

One thing I will say......one poster said that LB is Charlton through & through. I disagree. He played for us for a season & a bit. In all, with youth team etc prob no more than 4 years. Spent longer at Leeds.

Bit harsh seeing he came through our Academy having joined as a Schoolboy so would have been with us for longer than a season and a bit!!
  • Options
    Mametz said:

Drawing a big club in the next round wouldn’t have just been about having a nice day out or the club making a few quid.
    It may have put us in the national spotlight for once - the club with the mad, non-existent owner

Alternatively, drawing a crap Northern club from this league or the fourth level would garner no publicity, be a shit day out and increase the chances of our already thin squad being further weakened.

In which case, why do we bother entering the competition at all ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Mametz said:

Alternatively, drawing a crap Northern club from this league or the fourth level would garner no publicity, be a shit day out and increase the chances of our already thin squad being further weakened.

Probably because it is pretty much compulsory.
  • Options
    T

Unreal

This is where it gets silly. I’m pissed off but certainly don’t think any of that, as I suspect the most people who are similarly pissed off about.

But equally, spare me the we can’t play footballers in a weekly football game stuff as they might get tired or they might get injured. That’s a weak mentality. They might equally build a better understanding from playing alongside their team mates, improve their match fitness, get confidence from a victory and build momentum.

League football is of course ‘more important’ but a couple of extra games aren’t going to hurt (particularly as we limped out the other cups at the first opportunity). Fa Cup runs can galvanise teams much more than they potentially harm them.
    Yep I get that argument as well D and have been on the other end of the 'can't play 2 games in a week' argument.

However mate, we got 7 games in 28 days coming up and an Injurie to one of grant, Taylor, Pearce, or Aribo would totally mess up a challenge for promotion.

There is no right or wrong answer but some are totally overreacting.
    So should we weaken our squad against the weaker sides in the league as we don’t want to risk injury to our best players over the busy festive period? I think I might just turn up to the games I think we might win
  • Options
    1StevieG said:

T

Unreal

This is where it gets silly. I’m pissed off but certainly don’t think any of that, as I suspect the most people who are similarly pissed off about.

But equally, spare me the we can’t play footballers in a weekly football game stuff as they might get tired or they might get injured. That’s a weak mentality. They might equally build a better understanding from playing alongside their team mates, improve their match fitness, get confidence from a victory and build momentum.

League football is of course ‘more important’ but a couple of extra games aren’t going to hurt (particularly as we limped out the other cups at the first opportunity). Fa Cup runs can galvanise teams much more than they potentially harm them.
    Yep I get that argument as well D and have been on the other end of the 'can't play 2 games in a week' argument.

However mate, we got 7 games in 28 days coming up and an Injurie to one of grant, Taylor, Pearce, or Aribo would totally mess up a challenge for promotion.

So should we weaken our squad against the weaker sides in the league as we don’t want to risk injury to our best players over the busy festive period? I think I might just turn up to the games I think we might win
    Of course not FFS, promotion out of this poxy division is paramount to a poxy 3 Rd round trip to the Emirates (or Barnsley)
  • Options

1StevieG said:

T

Unreal

Of course not FFS, promotion out of this poxy division is paramount to a poxy 3 Rd round trip to the Emirates (or Barnsley) Huddersfield. It's always Huddersfield.
  • Options
    Mametz said:

Mametz said:

Not sure about that. The Prem and FL clubs are just eligible to enter, nothing about it being mandatory that I can see ( I stand to be corrected).
    Even if it was, and the club faced a fine, it would probably be cheaper than a home game or two in front of 500 fans. After all, after yesterday, who would bother turning up next year if drawn at home.
  • Options
    edited December 2018

Mametz said:

Mametz said:

Not sure about that. The Prem and FL clubs are just eligible to enter, nothing about it being mandatory that I can see ( I stand to be corrected).
    Even if it was, and the club faced a fine, it would probably be cheaper than a home game or two in front of 500 fans. After all, after yesterday, who would bother turning up next year if drawn at home.
    Yeah, I’m not certain it is absolutely compulsory. Manchester United received a dispensation not to enter the 1999/2000 competition as they were competing in the World Club Championships.

• Options
    There are probably hypocrites who didn't go yesterday because it was ONLY a cup game who are slating Bowyer for playing a weakened side. They are certainly in position to critisise if they didn't go for those reasons. People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. If you didn't go yesterday for those reasons, fair enough, that is your prerogative. But if you didn't go for those reasons, then also shut up!