Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Food banks

Comments

• Options

The most developed country in the world, Norway, has food banks.
    130,000 meals distributed last year by one organisation in cities such as Oslo,Trondheim and Bergen.

Well that’s alright then so two wrongs make a right now!
    Again, the Tories have fucked it up, there’s no question of that ! None.
  • Options
    But when people say, there have always been food banks - they have never been used by such numbers - I think it is about 4 million people currently reliant on them. And then when you see these numbers includes the working poor including nurses - well it is a bit of a weak argument saying they have always been there.
  • Options
    Addickted said:

So what do we need to do to ensure there is no longer any need for food banks @Greenie ?

How about increasing all benefits by 25%?

Make 10% of total benefits payable in cash and the rest in credits for food, housing, fuel/energy, clothing, transport, household goods, personal hygiene products - percentage of each to be chosen by the claimer.

All medication to be free along with sanitary products?

That would put to a stop the moaners and groaners who say it's all spent on booze, fags and gambling.

I answered a similar question earlier !
    And the one thing is we don’t need the tories in power making things worse for middle and lower paid workers!
  • Options
    Greenie said:

130,000 meals distributed last year by one organisation in cities such as Oslo,Trondheim and Bergen.

Calm down dear. It's just a fact.
  • Options

But when people say, there have always been food banks - they have never been used by such numbers - I think it is about 4 million people currently reliant on them. And then when you see these numbers includes the working poor including nurses - well it is a bit of a weak argument saying they have always been there.

I think those numbers are wide of the mark.

Trussell who account for around half in the UK I believe give out circa 1.3m 3 day food parcels a year (so nearly 4m days of food) and on average people use them twice a year, so on average that’s around 550k people using them twice a year or around 10,500 people a day getting food from them.

Even doubling that for all food banks is no where near 4m people reliant on them.

• Options
    edited November 2018
    Glad you think they are wide of the mark - although I will say it isn't an exact figure. Better than your exact wrong figures though! We are talking millions.
  • Options

Greenie said:

Calm down dear. It's just a fact.
    Oh dear, I guess this is the part of the thread where I have to call you a patronising prick!
  • Options
    edited November 2018

He is being calm. You calm down dear. No need to be patronising. Just disagree!

But he used 2 exclamation marks....
    It's a lighthearted reference. Calm down dear..
    2xSOHF
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Addickted said:

So what do we need to do to ensure there is no longer any need for food banks @Greenie ?

Make 10% of total benefits payable in cash and the rest in credits for food, housing, fuel/energy, clothing, transport, household goods, personal hygiene products - percentage of each to be chosen by the claimer.

That would put to a stop the moaners and groaners who say it's all spent on booze, fags and gambling Charlton.

Oh South London is wonderful!
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:

Addickted said:

That would put to a stop the moaners and groaners who say it's all spent on booze, fags and gambling Charlton.

Oh South London is wonderful!
    My effort fell a bit flat, least you got one LOL, Patrick
  • Options
    ...and a LIKE from me
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    Apologies if it has come up in previous 6 pages but the Independent report today that France are in top 3 not dumping food waste because they legislated to force retailers to donate OoD food to charity. We are 26th.

Don't think the EU had a say either.
  • Options

Apologies if it has come up in previous 6 pages but the Independent report today that France are in top 3 not dumping food waste because they legislated to force retailers to donate OoD food to charity. We are 26th.

That should just be pushed through, no song and dance, just done. All food at the end of the day that will go past it's sell by date but remains safe to eat should be donated to those in need. That would shift the need for food donations to the need to facilitate it being passed out and down. Imagine the good PR to any supermarket chain or food retailler who was later found to have signed up in advance.

If people who didn't need the food were prepared to wait for free stuff then good on them, totally inmoral in my eyes but whatever.

I think the point @Greenie was making about poverty being at Dickensian levels is that nobody should be starving or in need like we currently are seeing be that first hand or through the window social media has given us in this country.

Bit like how a very loud majority push for unisex or gender fluidity everything, having safe spaces for kids and vulnerable people whilst the country also seems to be facilitating more extreme violence and general unpleasantness than any other time I can remember
  • Options

Glad you think they are wide of the mark - although I will say it isn't an exact figure. Better than your exact wrong figures though! We are talking millions.

I'd say providing some data would help back up your stance, but the last person who introduced some facts to this thread got called wanky.
  • Options

The supermarkets round here don't donate or dump their out of date stuff, they keep it on the shelves as quality produce and try and sell it.

Although Lidl are now selling trays of veg for €1. We got a load of peppers and mushrooms the other week.
  • Options

I'd say providing some data would help back up your stance, but the last person who introduced some facts to this thread got called wanky.
    Ah Stu, you know and I know why he was called wanky, and a well deserved wanky at that!
  • Options
    To be fair all that poll shows is that, out of the 1050 people polled, 7% said they'd used a food bank for a meal. That in no way at all equates to 4 million people using them regularly.

It's a headline grabbing article that draws you in and then gives you a different story when you read it.

Caveat......the above in no way means I am somehow lessening the fact that food banks are used. Nor am I concluding that it isn't a problem, before someone goes all rabid and conclusion jumping.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2018
    ok. I can see you are not, but it feels like some are.
  • Options

Reflecting on this thread this morning, I walked past a homeless guy happily singing away and he simply mesmerised me with his stunning voice.....

“Take a look at my girlfriend, she’s the only one I’ve got, not much of a girlfriend, I never seem to get a lot.”

I stopped and exclaimed “Supertramp!” and he said,”Thanks very much.”

Hope he wasn't from out of state, bloody free movement...
  • Options

Bringing facts to a thread? Doesn't sound like me! I must have been bored yesterday.

It was indeed a wanky response, don't be scared though! I just couldn't help myself due to childish behaviour on display.
  • Options

Sure I’ll take your newspaper headline on a survey of circa 1,000 people over the Trussell Trusts statistics and grossing them up.

• Options
    Greenie said:

Greenie said:

Greenie said:

The mental gymnastics some posters on this thread are going through to shift the blame to Labour or to create some false equivalency between the amount of kids turning up for school hungry this morning, because that's what we are talking about, and 10, 15, 20 years ago is astonishing.

None of this should be a surprise to anyone.

The Tories have stood on a platform of austerity and a narrative of demonising benefits claimants since 2010. If you were happy to vote for it in 2010, then vote for more in 2015 and then a little more last year people could at least have the honesty to accept it or acknowledge the impact their vote has had on the poorest in our society.

See also rising homelessness...

im not shifting the blame to anyone - but the notion that food banks and poverty in this country are a new thing that have just been caused by the tories i believe to be bollocks. lets remember the tories only got in power in 2010!.
    Then you go on to shift the blame.
    Look at the present shit state our country is in, it is down to the Tories and the polices of the Tory government, no one else.
    If as been said before we have had 25 plus years of poverty, Btw we haven't, (there will always be some poorer people) but the present levels of poverty is unprecedented in the modern world, its at Dickensian levels in some areas....the bottom line is that the Tories have had over 8 years to make it better, so what do they do, they make it worse for most people in this country, that cannot be argued, its not been fixed, its been broken and broken, by them almost to the point that it cannot be repaired. As @Bournemouth Addick said above, Tory voters have had plenty of time to understand what they are voting for. I cant change that, if only they would say, 'yep I voted for them, Ive bought into the tory vision of "I'm alright Jack', and I dont really give a toss about people less well off then me, but hey I give a couple of quid to Children In Need, so my conscious is clear' then at least I would have a bit of respect for them, however the constant defence of tory policies and attacking Labour is ridiculous, and I have nothing but contempt for anyones political view who voted for this Conservative government.
    Make no mistake the Tories caused this mess, no non else...no one.
    Does poverty not exist in other developed countries? Have you spent any time travelling in the US for example?

According to recent OECD figures, the UK has similar levels of absolute poverty than its comparable developed world counterparts (defined in terms of earning less than 60% of median income) but does have relatively higher levels of food insecurity (again well below US levels however). This apparent anomaly can be interpreted in various ways partly depending on your starting political viewpoint I suspect.

I appreciate that there is a deep visceral hatred for the Tories dating back for many to well before the Cameron/May era, but describing the situation as 'unprecedented in the modern world' is a bit extreme to say the least.
    Deflection tactics again...
    No one can deny the absolute mess the Tories have made of this country in the last 8 years.
    If you want to go back in time, I also remember 1988 when we had the last financial crash, it cost me a fortune, who was in power then? oh yes the Tories...its what they do, rob the less well off and give it to the greedy.
    I am 61 (born 1957), my mum & dad never had a pot to piss in. We lived in the upstairs part of my Grans house which was mum, dad, sister and me. I shared a bedroom with my sister until she was 14 which is not legal now. The toilet was outside in the garden. There was not a bathroom in the house, bathing consisted of a tin bath in front of a coal fire in Grans living room or a trip to Woolwich Public Baths which in the late 50's early 60's was not know for its swimming, its where poor people paid a shilling to have a bath. I would share a bath with my dad because he could not afford to pay for two shillings for two separate baths.

Mum or dad never drove or owned a car, we never went on holiday, when we finally got offered a council flat it had single glazed metal windows and you used to wake up to ice on the inside on the glass.

I hardly saw my dad in my early childhood as he had to work six days a week to put food on the table, my mum worked full time as well.

Poverty is nothing new, it has always been in our society.

Interestingly I note above you state you lost a fortune in the financial crash of 1988, fortune is not word most people are able to band about as a comment so you seem to have had it pretty good at some point in your life, maybe even under a Tory Government?
    I bought my house in 88 then the Tories created the financial crash, interest rates went through the roof, I couldn't afford my Mortgage, so I had to get rid of the house and had to find £15k to pay the debt off, this was a fortune to me at the time,so no the tories did nothing for me and millions of others trying to survive. They dont care, its what they do and have always done, prey on the less well off to satisfy their greed.
    Sorry Greenie, but whilst the Tories are not without blame, the fact that you could not pay your mortgage and had to sell your house, is as much to do with your own financial prudence.

I too bought my first house in 1988, but I made sure that I had the ability to pay the mortgage, even if interest rates rose significantly, which they did.

I then sold the house 7 years later making a 30% profit.

We bought the same time, you couldn't afford it and I had no problems affording, because I did the sums beforehand.

Easy to blame those nasty Tories though.
  • Options

Greenie said:

Greenie said:

Greenie said:

The mental gymnastics some posters on this thread are going through to shift the blame to Labour or to create some false equivalency between the amount of kids turning up for school hungry this morning, because that's what we are talking about, and 10, 15, 20 years ago is astonishing.

The Tories have stood on a platform of austerity and a narrative of demonising benefits claimants since 2010. If you were happy to vote for it in 2010, then vote for more in 2015 and then a little more last year people could at least have the honesty to accept it or acknowledge the impact their vote has had on the poorest in our society.

im not shifting the blame to anyone - but the notion that food banks and poverty in this country are a new thing that have just been caused by the tories i believe to be bollocks. lets remember the tories only got in power in 2010!.
    Look at the present shit state our country is in, it is down to the Tories and the polices of the Tory government, no one else.
    If as been said before we have had 25 plus years of poverty, Btw we haven't, (there will always be some poorer people) but the present levels of poverty is unprecedented in the modern world, its at Dickensian levels in some areas....the bottom line is that the Tories have had over 8 years to make it better, so what do they do, they make it worse for most people in this country, that cannot be argued, its not been fixed, its been broken and broken, by them almost to the point that it cannot be repaired. As @Bournemouth Addick said above, Tory voters have had plenty of time to understand what they are voting for. I cant change that, if only they would say, 'yep I voted for them, Ive bought into the tory vision of "I'm alright Jack', and I dont really give a toss about people less well off then me, but hey I give a couple of quid to Children In Need, so my conscious is clear' then at least I would have a bit of respect for them, however the constant defence of tory policies and attacking Labour is ridiculous, and I have nothing but contempt for anyones political view who voted for this Conservative government.
    Does poverty not exist in other developed countries? Have you spent any time travelling in the US for example?

According to recent OECD figures, the UK has similar levels of absolute poverty than its comparable developed world counterparts (defined in terms of earning less than 60% of median income) but does have relatively higher levels of food insecurity (again well below US levels however). This apparent anomaly can be interpreted in various ways partly depending on your starting political viewpoint I suspect.

I appreciate that there is a deep visceral hatred for the Tories dating back for many to well before the Cameron/May era, but describing the situation as 'unprecedented in the modern world' is a bit extreme to say the least.
    No one can deny the absolute mess the Tories have made of this country in the last 8 years.
    If you want to go back in time, I also remember 1988 when we had the last financial crash, it cost me a fortune, who was in power then? oh yes the Tories...its what they do, rob the less well off and give it to the greedy.
    I am 61 (born 1957), my mum & dad never had a pot to piss in. We lived in the upstairs part of my Grans house which was mum, dad, sister and me. I shared a bedroom with my sister until she was 14 which is not legal now. The toilet was outside in the garden. There was not a bathroom in the house, bathing consisted of a tin bath in front of a coal fire in Grans living room or a trip to Woolwich Public Baths which in the late 50's early 60's was not know for its swimming, its where poor people paid a shilling to have a bath. I would share a bath with my dad because he could not afford to pay for two shillings for two separate baths.

Mum or dad never drove or owned a car, we never went on holiday, when we finally got offered a council flat it had single glazed metal windows and you used to wake up to ice on the inside on the glass.

I hardly saw my dad in my early childhood as he had to work six days a week to put food on the table, my mum worked full time as well.

Interestingly I note above you state you lost a fortune in the financial crash of 1988, fortune is not word most people are able to band about as a comment so you seem to have had it pretty good at some point in your life, maybe even under a Tory Government?
    I bought my house in 88 then the Tories created the financial crash, interest rates went through the roof, I couldn't afford my Mortgage, so I had to get rid of the house and had to find £15k to pay the debt off, this was a fortune to me at the time,so no the tories did nothing for me and millions of others trying to survive. They dont care, its what they do and have always done, prey on the less well off to satisfy their greed.
    Sorry Greenie, but whilst the Tories are not without blame, the fact that you could not pay your mortgage and had to sell your house, is as much to do with your own financial prudence.

I too bought my first house in 1988, but I made sure that I had the ability to pay the mortgage, even if interest rates rose significantly, which they did.

We bought the same time, you couldn't afford it and I had no problems affording, because I did the sums beforehand.

Oh do me a favour another condescending poster, take a look at what you have just written FFS!
    I’m calling bullshit,
    Hahaha! You do remember how they fucked it up dont you, you do remember Norman Lamont, you do remember how many working class people lost/handed back their houses, tell me you do then at least I’ll have some respect for your views.
    I was working three jobs to try and keep a roof over our heads.
    The Tory governments have always been total shits to the working class!
    Like I say everyone who voted for them is culpable including you blue boy!
    Do me a favour fucking hell!
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    Greenie said:

Greenie said:

Greenie said:

Greenie said:

Oh do me a favour another condescending poster, take a look at what you have just written FFS!
    I’m calling bullshit,
    Hahaha! You do remember how they fucked it up dont you, you do remember Norman Lamont, you do remember how many working class people lost/handed back their houses, tell me you do then at least I’ll have some respect for your views.
    I was working three jobs to try and keep a roof over our heads.
    The Tory governments have always been total shits to the working class!
    Like I say everyone who voted for them is culpable including you blue boy!
    Do me a favour fucking hell!
    All factual I'm afraid. I moved out of my parents council house & bought my first place in 1988.
    I did so because house prices were rocketing and I thought if I waited any longer, it might not ever be possible.
    I used most of the savings I'd built up over 7 years after saving every month, since starting work.
    I bought a 2 bed semi /end of terrace for £53,000 and took out a £35,000 mortgage.
    A few years later it had risen to £90,000 in value, before falling back to £68,000 in 1995.
    I then sold as I thought the market had bottomed out after falling 25%.
    I figured that although my property had fallen £22,000 in value, the one I wanted to buy had fallen £40,000.
    I moved to my existing house in 1995.

Oh and yes I remember it all clearly as I was working in a bank dealing with mortgages etc and was aware of what was probably going to happen. I could also bore you with MIRAS being removed which was inflating property prices ready for a fall, but as you think I bullshit I won't bother.

Sorry to sound harsh, but it's very much true.