Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

‘BT’ scam

13»

Comments

• Options

Really sorry for your dad. My mum had the old HMRC are going to file a lawsuit against you scam pulled on her. Had she been in and pressed '1' on her keypad it would be charging her one of those super premium rates. There are some absolute scum out there preying on the vulnerable, makes me so angry.

The HMRC head of cyber security featured on this morning's 'Wake Up To Money'. There are currently 85,000 scams per month being reported. I'm afraid he offered only cold comfort to those unfortunate souls who've lost money.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m00019qw
  • Options
    Fingers crossed for your old man.
  • Options
    iamdan said:

Update of sorts.
    Half positive news.

NatWest Bexleyheath confirmed NW were forced to pay 16 bags other week to customer who was scammed by same trickery.

Not sure what 16 bags are, but fingers crossed mate.

Dont let your da feel bad about himself in any way. There are major corporates and governments/departments being duped by these scammers every day.
  • Options

A guy complaining about how he got scammed after the scammers saw him ranting on twitter about how long it was taking a high street bank to set up his business bank account. They emailed him, masquerading as the bank:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-46309561

I think he sounds like a complete divot, but divots deserve sympathy, too. :wink:

There is a good bit of news in that story @MountsfieldPark. The account name check should help when it comes in in July. This used to be a manual check when I started in the bank in the mid-80s, when people didn’t have access to immediate/mobile banking, but the number of bank accounts grew and with technology the banks moved to an automated sort code/account number check.

The danger is still with banks who don’t do the right checks when opening (mainly) personal accounts. I’ve had cases where a personal account has been opened at other banks in the name of my law firms. They then intercept cheques & pay them in. Sometimes weeks/months before it is discovered. Another reason cheques are dying out...too easy to use in fraud.
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    TelMc32 said:

iamdan said:

Update of sorts.
    Half positive news.

NatWest Bexleyheath confirmed NW were forced to pay 16 bags other week to customer who was scammed by same trickery.

Dont let your da feel bad about himself in any way. There are major corporates and governments/departments being duped by these scammers every day.
    Bags of sand = grand

I only know this, as some of the lads at work, use the term.
  • Options

TelMc32 said:

iamdan said:

Update of sorts.
    Half positive news.

Bags of sand = grand

I only know this, as some of the lads at work, use the term.
    Really rooting for your Dad @iamdan.

My lovely Pa, sadly here no more, fell for a couple of scams. One was a bloke who knock on the door and said he was working in the area, in a road beginning with 'M', as he had forgotten the name. Naturally Pa was able to think of one. He then came into the house and quoted for windows for the entire house (nothing wrong with the old ones). He was being pressured to sign (an offer on that day) but, luckily, said he wanted to speak to me first. The bloke left.

The worse one was the classic 'I can see your roof needs tiles'. Afterwards it had become dearer than he thought so they drove him to a cash point. He didn't tell me for a while as he said he felt like a stupid old man. I felt so sad for him. At a time in his life when he was becoming frail and vulnerable some bastards were trying to take advantage. He wouldn't report it because he said he felt so embarressed.

Please tell your Dad he's not the only one - if that makes him feel just a tiny bit better.

Does he go to Charlton?
  • Options
    They rely on the frail and vulnerable. It is a reminder how low some people can stoop to. Very depressing. I am pretty liberal in most things, but I think punishment for this bastards should be harsh. These are areas that deterent should be the overiding factor and it can destroy people.
  • Options

They rely on the frail and vulnerable. It is a reminder how low some people can stoop to. Very depressing. I am pretty liberal in most things, but I think punishment for this bastards should be harsh. These are areas that deterent should be the overiding factor and it can destroy people.

Sadly we are in the age of super technology and these scum are taking full advantage of it. I fear things will only get worse. Hanging is too good for these 'people' for the trauma they bring.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

My old man gets them every few days if its not BT its Microsoft wanting all sorted and despite being 82 he gives them a run for there money.

Sorry to hear someone has been scammed bang out of order

I get called by BT & Microsoft scammers a few times every week.
    Very good advice here from Microsoft
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/4013405
    Phone scams
    In this type of scam, scammers call you and claim to be from the tech support team of Microsoft or other vendors. They then offer to help solve your computer problems.

Scammers often use publicly available phone directories, so they might know your name and other personal information when they call you. They might even guess what operating system you're using.

Once they've gained your trust, they might ask for your user name and password or ask you to go to a legitimate website to install software that will let them access your computer to fix it. If you install the software and provide credentials, your computer and your personal information are vulnerable.

Although law enforcement can trace phone numbers, perpetrators often use pay phones, disposable cellular phones, or stolen cellular phone numbers. Treat all unsolicited phone calls with skepticism. Do not provide any personal information.

If you receive an unsolicited call from someone claiming to be from Microsoft Support, hang up. We do not make these kinds of calls.

• Options
    Was it Kevin, Paul, Dave and Steve who got nicked?
  • Options
    Update.

Bad news: Natwest refusing to pay.
    Having to use a financial ombudsman to see if we have any luck.