Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Drain unblocking advice- help please

2»

Comments

• Options
    Just moved on to Blackpool away last season. Blow by blow account of the original journey, Jimmy armfield, game called off as we arrive at Blackpool circa 1.27pm. Take a photo of @The31YearMan outside a house on a street in Blackpool with a load of old vhs videos in the window, and then the rearranged game in March

It’s what we do
  • Options
    Everyone has a different opinion...

Mine is:

Don’t put acid down - waste of money and dangerous.

Don’t buy drain rods, you won’t know what to do potentially, will cost you money, time and frustration.

It seems a combined system is blocked upstream from your manhole, if the manhole is not blocked, which the Water undertaker is not responsible for if not shared. From the info that you have stated.

If you rod the drain from your gully it may just push waste up to your toilet rather than release the blockage.

Dynorod offer a fixed price unblock and will not rip you off. They have guarantees and are regulated. Or any other drain company as mentioned above.

I suggest get them, pay the money and move on..

It doesn’t sound a big job, unless you have other underlying problems ( damaged drain or tree root ingress).

Most situations ,that you are in, are quickly rectified with the guys who do this as a profession and have all the equipment on their van.

Good luck
  • Options
    I've unblocked more drains and ducts than I care to remember, not once have I pushed anything back up the bog. I understand what you are saying, pushing that way could do that but it's really unlikely. Gravity is in your favour

• Options

Carter said:

One of my very good friends runs 3flow drainage. Give him a shout, drop me a message if you like and I'll tell you who to say sent you

Alternatively unblocking drains is easy. Get a set of rods, a crowbar and some latex gloves and clear it yourself, no real science to it. If there is standing water in the box you may have to gently feel for the duct or gullies leading each way out of the box (before any genius takes the piss, crowbar for lifting manhole cover, latex gloves because your hands will come into contact with human faeces as will the rods). Drainage firms can charge pretty much what they want as when they get called out it's not like getting a price for your extension, if you have shit coming up into your home you use the first people to answer the phone and turn up! Half time time if not 80% of the time the work is covered by home insurance. If it isn't, 150 quid is a reasonable price to not have human shit coming through your letterbox

Thanks mate. Already booked it but will bear in mind for next time. Need to really work on developing my "man skills" with stuff like this...as tonight has proved having stunning good looks and a mammoth penis will only get me so far in this life and being clueless about practical things is pricey .
    If your mammoth penis only got you so far, I'd definitely invest in some drain rods. And some soap.
  • Options
    Carter said:

I've unblocked more drains and ducts than I care to remember, not once have I pushed anything back up the bog. I understand what you are saying, pushing that way could do that but it's really unlikely. Gravity is in your favour

I was suggesting you may push waste back up into the toilet - that is common. To unblock the drain this way will never happen. The water/ waste will just be pushed to the path of least resistance ie, the toilet which is not blocked. The blockage will not be cleared.

As said, call a drain company

• Options
    I think you've made the right choice. We had ours done a few years back (about £100 then) and it was a smelly, messy job. I wouldn't have wanted to to that. Main lesson was what not to flush away. Our house has a shared drain with next door. They found baby wipes, tampons and even sweet wrappers had been flushed.

Good luck.
  • Options
    There he is. Someone’s house on a road in Blackpool. Old vhs’, a trolley, the game called off, the dj coach, bliss
  • Options
    Couldn't you use your mammoth penis to unblock the drain?
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    Shit happens.

It’s just not fun having to deal with it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Is Dennis Nilsen posting on Charlton Life?
  • Options

No but his ex colleague does :-)
  • Options
    If you rod the drains yourself be very sure that once the rods are connected that you only twist them clockwise. If you don’t you could unscrew them in the drain and find you can’t get them back again.
  • Options
    Remember to roll your sleeve up. You dont wanna be getting shit on yer cuffs!
  • Options
    I work in drainage sounds like you have a blockage, hopefully they have th e sense to use a cctv camera to check once cleared otherwise your getting ripped off at that price, plus you could end up with it blocked again as soon as you flush your bog, it may just be simple scale and FOG, which the high pressure jetting will clear. But it also maybe collapsed or have defects in. Drop me a PM if you want anymore advice.
  • Options

Remember to roll your sleeve up. You dont wanna be getting shit on yer cuffs!

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

As does his jailer!
  • Options

Cafc43v3r said:

As does his jailer!
    Thought it was neighbour and jailer.
  • Options

I work in drainage sounds like you have a blockage, hopefully they have th e sense to use a cctv camera to check once cleared otherwise your getting ripped off at that price, plus you could end up with it blocked again as soon as you flush your bog, it may just be simple scale and FOG, which the high pressure jetting will clear. But it also maybe collapsed or have defects in. Drop me a PM if you want anymore advice.

Thanks mate. Yeah was the right decision calling out as they unblocked it and got a camera down and went to next door's too and unblocked it there.

They said that the pipes have dropped so they aren't butting so a bit of a step each section of pipe.

Were roots and what not in neighbour's end too.

There's approx 6 metres of pipe running downhill from the manhole in my garden to the manhole next door where it enters the main waterboard system. About 3 metres in each garden.

They recommended because of the pipe dropping we get the pipe "lined" with a 10yr guarantee and said it could deterioate if not done and require digging up if not. Not sure if that is genuinely the case or whether it's a sell on

Quoted £625 plus vat for doing the lining with a 10 year guarantee. Will discuss with neighbour and check building insurance to see if covered and see if that is a reasonable price.

Thanks everyone for all the advice last night/ today.

Very much appreciated.

• Options

Thanks mate. Yeah was the right decision calling out as they unblocked it and got a camera down and went to next door's too and unblocked it there.

They said that the pipes have dropped so they aren't butting so a bit of a step each section of pipe.

There's approx 6 metres of pipe running downhill from the manhole in my garden to the manhole next door where it enters the main waterboard system. About 3 metres in each garden.

They recommended because of the pipe dropping we get the pipe "lined" with a 10yr guarantee and said it could deterioate if not done and require digging up if not. Not sure if that is genuinely the case or whether it's a sell on

Quoted £625 plus vat for doing the lining with a 10 year guarantee. Will discuss with neighbour and check building insurance to see if covered and see if that is a reasonable price.

Very much appreciated.

No probs mate, was just doing my bit in a constructive manner
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Thank you, CL. I'm now getting adverts for firms offering to clear my blocked loo (it isn't) to replace some of the ones for silk boxer shorts & multicoloured razors I normally get bombarded with on here!

Now, I don't expect a football forum to carry adverts for bras and lipsticks, but it is all getting a bit too one-sided. The only female biased one I'm being "treated" to is one for swimsuits for the fuller figure. Is someone trying to imply something???

There must be plenty of unisex goods and services whose adverts I could equally ignore... Admin?
  • Options

Very much appreciated.

If that’s the case that the pipes have dropped then yes getting it lined or pipe burst is the way to go, pipe bursting would cost a fortune mind and that’s a very good quote for that amount of pipe, I very much doubt it will be covered on house insurance from personal experience due to it being a shared drain, but spiliting the costs is obviously advisable.

Again any problems or if you want me to see what my company would quote then drop me a PM
  • Options

Very much appreciated.

If that’s the case that the pipes have dropped then yes getting it lined or pipe burst is the way to go, pipe bursting would cost a fortune mind and that’s a very good quote for that amount of pipe, I very much doubt it will be covered on house insurance from personal experience due to it being a shared drain, but spiliting the costs is obviously advisable.

Again any problems or if you want me to see what my company would quote then drop me a PM
    Thank you mate, will chat to the neighbour and get in touch.
  • Options
    Have a quick look at this, it will help decide who is responsible:

https://www.ofwat.gov.uk/publications/transfer-of-private-sewers/

• Options
    Feel your pain on this Rodders, i’ve had three blocked drains over the years and I’ve had a terrible sinking feeling ( no pun intended) each time I’ve had to confront them. I’ve got the dynorod things which definitely work but you have to be careful not to leave the ends in the pipe which can makes it ten times worse. The last time a blockage happened was because the pump failed ( we had a private pumping station) and it was absolutely foul.
    That sounds a good price to me, from what little I know. Good luck with it. :+1:
  • Options
    I had a blocked drain in my old. It was the fault of the old lady two doors down and the stuff she stuck down her toilet. I got the rods out and unblocked it myself, through four gardens. Crap job to say the least but very satisfying when I heard the suction from the weight of water emptying out into the main pipe. I had to retire my Adidas Samba trainers after that.